MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

Jasta 10, Summer 1917: it's getting more and more doggedly over Flanders Fields...

Nice screenies Olham. :good:

It looks like that one guy is going to crash right into the lake to try and put out that fire.

Yeah, the poor souls - flamers seem to make the killing even more violent.

They crashed quite a bit off the lake though.

Here's a video I put together of a few QC's. I'm always interested in how others fly & fight as there's always much to learn. It's also a great way to document a fight without having to hit pause all the time to capture screenies.

Flying without Labels, TAC or other aids, and without any warping, I brought a French balloon down

northeast of Fismes aerodrome. On returning, I spotted 3 Nieuport scouts attacking one of our

forward trenches, and after making sure there were no others around, I engaged the rearmost

flyer and shot him down. Since the other two did not show any reactions, I approached the next

French, and my fire was ripping his top right wing fabric to shreds. Short after that he lost control;

his Nieuport corkscrewed downwards and slammed in 500 Meter north of Berry-au-Bac by the

River Aisne; N-NE of Reims.

Nothing compares to flying the full mission without warping and any aids.

I have no idea how long this pilot will survive it though.

Olham, that is a magnificent paint job on your plane. You have a true talent for skins. Salute.gif Thank you for the FoV settings too. A great help sir.

Shiloh,

I just started a campaign pilot myself flying SE5as for the British. His very first mission was a scramble! I ran out of ammo and I took some hits, but we let them know who's airspace it was with a little help from the boys on the AA guns. I have to agree with Olham, flying with no lables, etc makes things very exciting indeed. At any rate as soon as I saw it was a scramble, I decided to record the mission because they are always so intense. I'm out of practice on SE5as but I did what damage I could.

Campaign Scramble Mission (9:38) 720

Hellshade

Olham

Very well done once again and nice screenies. Your graphics are always so crisp I feel like I can reach out and touch your Albatros. I'd love to see you do a video as I have no idea how to energy-fight in an Alb and would like to learn. I have been flying tac/label free for over a month now and can say I will never go back to those aids.

Hellshade

Exciting scramble video. You/your men did a great job of thwarting the attack and then some. You fly and shoot so clean - 'efficient' is the word that comes to mind. Watching your videos helps me improve as a pilot so please keep them coming when you have the time. I think I'm going to stick with them as I don't like pausing during a fight for screenies - kills the continuity - and I'm learning much by critiquing my own flying.

Shiloh, when I first tried out the Albatros (D.III) after only short time on the Pfalz D.IIIa (in Phase 2),

I found the craft hard to turn tight with. Now it has become my second nature, my second skin.

But put me in a Nieuport 17 or a Sopwith Camel, and I'll be lost.

I wouldn't know what to teach you - I just do the right things, and don't do the wrong ones - but

without thinking about them, or knowing to name them. Second nature.

If you are more the turn fighter type, you may never feel right in an energy fighter.

I do realize Olham that I'm more of a natural turn-fighter pilot which is why I feel so comfortable in craft such as the D.VII, Dr.1 and SE5a. I love the look of the Albatros but don't think it's flight characteristics suit me. With that said, I would love to see a video of you flying an Albatros in a fight.

For me at this point it's more curiosity and being able to learn about how you energy-fight.

Edited by Shiloh

Okay, Shiloh, here is the last video I made - hardly any outside view, but it's all I have.

Will try to make a dogfight movie sometime soon.

Nice video and flying Olham! I too am interested in seeing how you fly and fight in the Albatros series, so looking forward to seeing more if you can spare the time to make them.

Morning patrol of 19 April, 1918. Sgt. Scott Michaels of 24 RAF sqdrn flying in his SE5a comes across a flight of German 2 seaters doing recon. Video from just prior to contact.

OFF RAF Campaign video 1 (6:03) 720HD

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Very nice Olham - I liked the somber tone of the music too! Good flying/fighting and even though I've known you for a year, that's the first time I've seen you fly. I noticed you would dip your nose prior to attack to gain momentum or am I mistaken?

Excellent vid Hellshade! I find the 2-seaters to be more dangerous than fighters yet you kept going in there for more. It's great diving that Viper with good speed isn't it? I find her so predictable too which I like.

Sgt. Scott Michaels of 24 RAF squadron is sent off with his flight on an enemy observation balloon busting mission. What starts off as a "cake run" quickly turns sour!

OFF RAF Campaign video 2 (5:10) 720HD

Hellshade

That was a nice landing to minimize the damage Hellshade. You could have easily rolled over and been badly injured or worse. What Jasta was that? I really like their paint-jobs.

Those Dr.1's can be nasty in packs. I've met them many times in the Viper and every time they seem to put up a good fight. If you had altitude you could have dove hard and lost them with superior speed but down low like that...

I noticed you would dip your nose prior to attack to gain momentum or am I mistaken?

That's right, Shiloh. The Albatros is no S.E.5a or SPAD XIII with immense engine power.

What I need before all other is energy/momentum/speed to get me to the position I want.

I would even give up hight for that.

That's why the worst thing for energy fighting is, when you have done that already to the

extent, that you are fighting at tree top level. So, an energy fighter must also often dive

away and then gain altitude again - if the opponents let him.

Hellshade, you know your S.E.5 well - good landing.

(And nice to see, that you too are getting knocked down occasionally). :grin:

Edited by Olham

That was really helpful seeing that video Olham. I wasn't quite able to picture in my head how you might fight tactically with that particular bird. Thanks again and I hope to see some more videos if time permits. I will certainly be doing more as I'm learning a lot about myself as a pilot by re-watching my fights to get even better.

That's what it's all about isn't it?

I'm with you Shiloh. Nothing improves my flying skills more than watching how others handle their various aircraft. It teaches me new ways to think about different situations. Also, I like to re-watch my own videos and often I see something I missed during the actual flight. Something to look for in the future that might give me some advantage the next time.

I realize that it can be difficult for most peoples computers to fly and record at the same time, but I always hope that more will do so. Such videos are a treasure trove of knowledge.

Do they check their 6 before committing to an attack?

How alert they are to their surroundings, looking around instead of getting 'target fixated'?

What they do at different altitudes, low or high?

How often do they break off an attack in order to save a friend?

If someone is getting around on their 6 but they are nearly lined up for a kill shot, do they take the shot or break off and become defensive? (that's how I got shot down in my last vid!)

Does heavy enemy flak change their tactics at all?

How persistent are they in taking down dangerous two seaters formations?

Do they fly to the strengths of their plane?

Do they use the weaknesses of the enemy plane against them?

Do they work with their wingman to achieve victory or go all WWI "Rambo"?

Do they try to maintain a height advantage and fight from up on a perch?

Videos tell the story and you can see all of your own weaknesses in stark detail right before your eyes. I still have lots to learn and still am guilty of making dumb mistakes if I get too intent on a kill. A good video tells me all about it.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Hellshade, you know your S.E.5 well - good landing.

(And nice to see, that you too are getting knocked down occasionally). :grin:

I fear my reputation is much larger than the reality of my flying skills and your countrymen are no easy sport, sir. :salute:

Hellshade

Fokker DVIIF vs SE5as. The little bastards certainly made me work for it...

Hellshade

Olham, that is a magnificent paint job on your plane. You have a true talent for skins. Salute.gif Thank you for the FoV settings too. A great help sir.

Shiloh,

I just started a campaign pilot myself flying SE5as for the British. His very first mission was a scramble! I ran out of ammo and I took some hits, but we let them know who's airspace it was with a little help from the boys on the AA guns. I have to agree with Olham, flying with no lables, etc makes things very exciting indeed. At any rate as soon as I saw it was a scramble, I decided to record the mission because they are always so intense. I'm out of practice on SE5as but I did what damage I could.

Campaign Scramble Mission (9:38) 720

Hellshade

Loved the scramble vid!!!

Edited by rjw

Holy cow Hellshade. You are a one-man wrecking crew! That was an exciting video to say the least. Did you fight 1 vs 6?

I'll be posting my own D.VII video tomorrow morning. :salute:

Campaign mission. Leutnant August Loewe, Jasta 18, Fokker D.VII. We tangled with ESC 37 Spad XIII's in a spirited fight.

A great fight Shiloh. I especially enjoyed the low level kill at 4:50. Close enough to hear the pilot scream! Well done. Those Spads are tough foes. You did well! Between a few QC's in a DVII and your video, I think you've inspired me to make a late war Jasta pilot campaign. Being outnumbered but in a great, well rounded fighter seems like a good challenge.

Here is some raw footage of a QC fight I did to get used to the DVII.

Lone DVIIF vs flight of Camels at 15,000 ft. (7:04) 720HD

Hellshade

Thanks Hellshade! It was a fun fight and I enjoyed the paces those Spads were taking me through. They're wicked fast so that's always a challenge. I just try and fly 'cleaner' so I can close the gap, do some damage from distance, then move in for the kill once they're disabled. I landed a little rough as my control was compromised and I came in too fast but I didn't think I would roll like that. I have 2 victories with this pilot with 5 pending. Once I get to 5 I have an emblem I'll put on the side that should inspire some fear in the enemy.

That was a nice vid with some excellent action and I can just sense how on edge you were being outnumbered so heavily. Your head was on a swivel for sure but you kept track of the enemy and picked them off one-by-one - nice work! You will enjoy the D.VII I think. She's well-balanced and one of the few craft on the German side I would want to be flying against superior numbers. I'm really enjoying your videos so keep them up if you can. I'll do my best as well.

Good flying. :salute:

SE5a-Vipers vs Albatros D.Va 200 in QC.

Update: Video was fixed so it can be viewed in HD.

Edited by Shiloh