MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

Looks very good - but the bull would be much easier to recognise, plus more aggressively.

I got this information from the website: http://gaubs.free.fr...Historiques.htm

SPA 85

Insignes : emblems

1° Taureau chargeant (surnommé la vache enragée); 1° Attacking bull (nicknamed "the mad cow")

2° Le joker. The Joker

SPA 93

Insignes : emblems

1° Ancre de marine verticale ; 1° Naval anchor, vertical

2° Canard blanc en vol - Après la guerre, canard colvert. 2° White duck in flight - after the war, mallard duck

Looks to me like each Escadrille had two groups; so the first group of SPA 85 would have carried the bull,

and the second group the Joker emblem. Now you still need to find out, in which group he was.

PS: you may also search through this sites, if you like:

http://www.insignesaviation.com/

For further searches, the keyword would be insigne.

A pulp magazine cover showing a painting of him in his Spad has the motto: "All blood runs red" on the right cockpit side.

This photo shows him with the black painted duck (instead of white) on a Nieuport of Escadrille 93/SPA 93.

Edited by Olham

Olham, thank you sir. As usual responsive and a wealth of knowledge. I had found the pic of Bullard with the Nieuport and I have one in the works to cover him there. Will add your links to the ons I have found and will have to find a really good french translator. This is the pic of the 85th I referenced.

kimberspa85copy.png

Well, I hope you will find a really good one. If not, I could offer my French knowledge.

All you need to find out was, wether Bullard flew in the 1° or the 2° group.

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET

Testflying my new Jasta 6 skin for my Albatros D.V in "Krauts vs Crumpets", I had a very exciting mission.

I flew "a la carte" mostly. We had to attack a railyard S-SW of Ypres, near Kemmel on the Messines Ridge.

We blew up a lot of ammunition there, before I accidently hit a tree with my lower right wing tip.

My craft was cripled, and I headed for home immediately. But south of Wytschaete, I ran into a flight of

Sopwith Triplanes. I flew so very low, that they first only attacked my wingmen.

But then two of them followed me. I turned SE to find the Lys river or the road Armentieres - Menin.

I came through Messines - a ghost town of frightening ruins - the Tommy still behind me.

The early morning time with the yet rising sun, the train on my way back, the destroyed town, that wouldn't

be so terribly clear from higher altitude - all on this sortie made me think: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

(incl. the whole song in my head - don't ask me why).

Well, read the rest of the story in the pictures.

Edited by Olham

Amazing screenshots as usual Olham. My hats off to you.

I have been working on another beloved SPAD and stumbled across a pic in an old book that caught my attention. Being a black and white pic it is hard to determine actual colors so I realized again I would have to take some liberties. The squadron is Spa 26 and at least I know that the numerical designations were red. So here was my candidate:

quellecexplained.png

Edited by nbryant

I am not as polished as Olham a creating and posting screen shots so I apologize. Here is my representation of the Spa 26 aircraft from the above post. I think I will take some time away from skinning and use here in a new career.

- added additional shading trying to represent oil staining. Still haven't mastered the art of weathering of paint. Also tried to recreate the lower support braces under the cockpit giving them a beveled appearance.

quellec.png

Edited by nbryant

nbryant, I have made dozens of skins by now, and my first steps didn't look as good as yours do.

It also depends on the graphic program, I believe. As a graphic designer, I have and use Photoshop,

which is a very professional (and expensive) program. Many effects you can do there, can not easily

be created with less complex programs.

Keep up your interest in skinning, and your work on this field, and you will find new or refined ways how to do it.

This SPAD looks very "believeable" among the OFF skins!

Olham, your Jasta 6 skin is another beauty, well done as always.

And nbryant, that is another outstanding Spad Sir, don't sell your skinning abilities short in any way. First rate job. :good:

A hot morning in Coolkerke (Or: Don't test-fly your new skin in a scramble!)

According to the Albatros skin of Vizefeldwebel Reimann from Jasta 78b, I have made another

Albatros skin with a Lozenge pattern painted onto the fuselage.

This time I first made a 4-colour upper and lower Lozenge for the wings, following Dan-San's

accurate shemes. Then I put that pattern on the fuselage also. Here are pics of the first flight:

a scramble! The columns of smoke show, how hard the battle was.

These Guys are crazy! Jasta 11 Aerobatics confuse Enemy!

What I saw today was absolutely stunning and new to me! I had a patrol with Jasta 11,

and after the 3. waypoint, we got under attack from several Nieuport 24 out of the sun.

Well, they sure regreted that very quickly - we literally wiped them out!

And, as if that wasn't good enough, my comrades performed aerobatics I have never

seen before.

Leutnant Stapenhorst chased a "stinking" Nupe. As he was too fast for the damaged kite,

he simply performed barrel rolls constantly, to bleed off some speed!

Another guy, who was chasing the same plane as me, suddenly was close to my left -

and headover! They surely confused the enemy with all this - and they confused me.

This is a Flying Circus!!!

PS: the Albatros in the last picture is that of Leutnant Hertel, who had to put down his

damaged kite behind enemy lines.

Edited by Olham

Olham, more great screenshots there Sir, as always.

Had a superb mission early this AM. Ritter von Blum finally had a sunny day in December of 1916 and got into a go-round with some Nieups from ESC 49. I am truly amazed at how well the D.II can keep up with the N17.

OFF_Paul_Blum_AlbDII_12-20-16_Mission_03lg.jpg

BTW, those bits and pieces are all flying off of the Frenchman's plane as Paul had just raked his guns across it from stem to stern.

Cheers!

Lou

A good shot, Lou!

Yes, the Albatros D.II is a joyride! If you turn with Nupes or other rotaries, you will find

that you can even get into their turns in LEFT ROUND turns. That's their weak spot!

Keep the nose at horizon level in the turning; let them climb in turns and bleed off speed,

they'll come back down sooner rather than later, and then you get them.

Only if they try to climb out of a turn, I follow them climbing - and shoot them up.

Edited by Olham

@olham: those shots are amazing! would you mind posting your PC specs and in game settings? also, what kind of FSAA and AF are you running?

No problem, vyrago. And thanks a lot. Here they are.

Intel Core2 duo E8300GHz

GPU: ATI HD4870 (1 GB)

RAM: 4 GB

Windows Vista 32 bit

My ATI Catalyst Control settings are:

-Smoothvision HD AA: 8x (Filter: Box)

- Smoothvision HD Anisotropic Filtering: 8x

- Catalyst AI: Advanced

- Mipmap Detail Level: High Quality

- Wait for vertical refresh: on, unless appl. specifies

- Adaptive Anti-Aliasing: not enabled

- OpenGL Settings: Triple buffering (on)

My graphics setup (Workshops) can be seen here:

http://combatace.com...post__p__452080

Edited by Olham

Air Combat Video #26 (9:58) 720 HD Miniscreen

It started out looking like it was going to be a relatively easy 6 against 1, but early on in the fight I suffered structural damage to my lower left wing (due to a mid air contact, imagine that) and that changed the situation significantly. Unable to turn hard left without potentially falling into an unrecoverable spin (considering my altitude) and right hand turns could no longer get inside my opponents circling to bring me in on their tail, I still had multiple huns to fight off. Olham thinks I have an Angel that protects me against collisions. She must have blinked this mission.

Enjoy,

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Air Combat Video #28 (5:32) 1080 HD

My OFF installation got corrupted so I had to re-install it all and am still in the process of getting all the video settings back to "ideal". Fun fun. In the meantime, I'm having fun flying QCs.

Air Combat Video #29 "Hornets Nest" (4:31) 1080HD

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Outstanding videos once again Hellshade. But I must say, there seemed to be a bit of target fixation in your Red Devils encounter when you latched onto the tail of that second Hun. You never scanned around once to be sure where his mates were, even when those bullets went ripping past your starboard wing. Not like you Sir, but then your luck does seem to run quite fair for you. :smile:

Outstanding videos once again Hellshade. But I must say, there seemed to be a bit of target fixation in your Red Devils encounter when you latched onto the tail of that second Hun. You never scanned around once to be sure where his mates were, even when those bullets went ripping past your starboard wing. Not like you Sir, but then your luck does seem to run quite fair for you. :smile:

Quite right sir! The decision to follow the second Hun down was a cinematic one though, not target fixation per se. I just thought diving down behind him between the clouds might look beautiful...so even when the bullets wizzed by my head I decided to say "damn the torpedos!" and follow through with my plan, hoping to get lucky and survive. Once in awhile, fortune favors the foolish...but not often.

Hellshade

As one of the fortunate foolish, I know too well of what you speak. No amount of prior planning will ever replace pure dumb luck.

So what do you do when you suddenly find yourself at a low altitude going head to head with an enemy aircraft and you don't want to pull up because you know you'll be in his gun sight longer than he'll be in yours?

<click video link below to find out> (0:12) 1080HD

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Went for the fly through Tower Bridge in London and decided to cruisa around south of the river. Looks like we didn't win after all :dntknw:.

Found this Daimler truck and german troops wandering around not far from Battersea Power Station.

Shot11-18-10-19-49-12.jpg

They were probably on leave - we Germans actually like England. :rolleyes: