MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

Just had a funny moment. Flying my new skin design with Jasta 35, I had to attack De Moeren airfield.

I was quite happy to see two Triplanes out of the hangars, which I could shoot to pieces.

But then I hardly could do it: one Triplane was painted with my Darkblue/Silver Triplane skin I had done months ago.

That was a nice surprise!

Edited by Olham

Very cool Olham, and quite serendipitous. Also, thanks to you and Burning Beard for the kudos on Larsson's kite. This one however, belonging to another of my virtual pilots, 2nd Lt. S. Trevor Ravenscroft, is still my personal favorite Nieuport.

OFF_Ravenscroft_N17_Lewis_01.jpg

I envy the skill of all of you skinners. You paint such beautiful planes! How long does it take to create such magnificent kites? Thanks for all of the skins you've uploaded for the rest of us to enjoy and for sharing screenshots of your handicraft in action. Most enjoyable. Keep up the great work. :salute:

Hellshade

I envy the skill of all of you skinners. You paint such beautiful planes! How long does it take to create such magnificent kites? Thanks for all of the skins you've uploaded for the rest of us to enjoy and for sharing screenshots of your handicraft in action. Most enjoyable. Keep up the great work. :salute:

Hellshade

I second that. Wonderful work. I, too thank you all for your uploads and admire your skills - I wouldn't know where to start.:bowdown2:

Thank you, chaps!

It's like everything else you really want to do - you work yourself into it like a worm into an apple - so to say.

In case you really want to try it yourself, there is a very good tutorial by Gous in the skinning section here:

http://combatace.com/topic/38522-off-advanced-skinning-tutorial/page__view__findpost__p__263130

Or you just wait - RAF_Louvert, Widowmaker, nbryant, Bullethead, Beanie and others will come up with

new skins every now and then.

You must be quite occupied doing videos, Hellshade - and I thank you for those; many are really excellent.

You must be quite occupied doing videos, Hellshade - and I thank you for those; many are really excellent.

They are a time killer, especially if I add voice over, though I must say they get more views than I thought they would. The OFF Videos SimHQ thread is rapidly closing in on 11,000 views. Not many comments, but those that are posted are always complimentary so that's always nice. We all contribute what we can to the community. Screenshots, mods, stories, videos, survival guides, technical help, maps, etc. We have a very vibrant little community. I'm glad I found OFF.

Hellshade

We have a very vibrant little community. I'm glad I found OFF.

Ditto to that, Hellshade, ditto! :drinks:

As always Hellshade, you've put together another outstanding group of videos. Well done Sir.

IN THE LINE OF FIRE

When you have pressed "H" for "Help!", you should get out of the way of your wingman quick!

I reacted too late and got a punctured tank; the engine stopped very soon, and I had to perform

a gliding landing, with an upset Nieuport in my neck! Well, I made it, but it was close!

Battle in the Alsacian Skies

Jasta 35, Colmar, 15. March 1917. Only our Staffelführer has got the new Albatros D.III yet.

We others still fly the D.II, and I'm glad we do. While Lt. Anders must be very careful with

diving, we can escape vertically, or hunt enemies down in steep dives. Today, we had an

epic battle in between thunderheads. Most of the Nieuports did not return to their base.

Nice shots Olham. I'm still in the Alsace myself, and here is Leutnant Paul Ritter von Blum's latest mount:

OFF_Paul_Blum_AlbDII_02.jpg

Much has changed in the young flyer's life as of late.

Lou

Wow! The young Ritter has a fine Albatros! He must be the earliest pilot with a full paint job?

So Jasta 28w began in Alsace? Never been with them so early, but they are a good choice,

cause the Staffel is very good, and they have one of the nicest tailplane designs with that

yellow and black. I'll start one early pilot with them, too.

I haven't read Paul's latest part yet, as I prefer to do this with time and comfort (a mug of

coffee, some cake etc.), and so far, I will be very busy the next days.

You will definitely get a comment, when I have read it.

Actually Olham, even though 28w was formed earlier you can't join it in OFF until April 1917 and it is stationed in Flanders. Paul has been assigned to Jasta 16 at Ensisheim as of December 1916, and I took the liberty of using the tail stripes of the Württemberg jasta since young Blum was given a knighthood by the King of that region. I also used the Württemberg crest to represent Ritter von Blum's new status, and of course kept his personal emblem from his time in FFA48 flying with his friend and gunner Karl Weimerann, (God rest his virtual soul). The dark blue color is simply because Paul likes the look. As to being the earliest "ace" with a full paint scheme, it is possible on the Gerrman side of the lines, but of course the French had been showing them for months at this point, (i.e. Navarre's all-red Bebe).

BTW, I completely reworked the top wing of the Alb D.II so that the ribs now line up as they should with the trailing edge scallops.

Cheers!

Lou

Actually Olham, even though 28w was formed earlier you can't join it in OFF until April 1917 and it is stationed in Flanders.

Ah, that's why I never came across them, when searching for a Jasta to fly in Alsace.

As to being the earliest "ace" with a full paint scheme, it is possible on the Gerrman side of the lines, but of course

the French had been showing them for months at this point, (i.e. Navarre's all-red Bebe).

So it were actually the French, who invented full paint jobs, and MvR was rather copying it? Didn't know that.

BTW, I completely reworked the top wing of the Alb D.II so that the ribs now line up as they should with the trailing edge scallops.

Yes, JFM had done that for our DiD Jasta 6 Albatros D.II, but it was almost too finely detailed. It is difficult to do; when you work too neatly, some things

may remain unvisible or end up blurred in the rather rough resolution of the final skin on the 3D model.

Edited by Olham

Yes, JFM had done that for our DiD Jasta 6 Albatros D.II, but it was almost too finely detailed. It is difficult to do; when you work too neatly, some things

may remain unvisible or end up blurred in the rather rough resolution of the final skin on the 3D model.

Very true Sir. Which is why I used the rib detail from the lower wing when I reworked the upper. It has a much better look once the wing has been adjusted. The original upper wing ribs are too course and fuzzy when compared to the lower wing.

OFF_Paul_Blum_AlbDII_03.jpg

Looks good! I will have a go at that, too, cause I am flying Albatros D.II mostly right now.

TKS Olham, glad you like it. I will be out for the rest of the day, but if you wish I could send you the generic .bmp file for my Alb D.II that you could use for a base to build from. It would save you some time and work. Let me know.

Yes, sure! If you zip it with WinRAR, you can send it via PM. Thank you in advance!

Will do. I'll take care of that for you when I get home tonight, Olham.

Flying with Jasta 11 was fine again today - they are so reliable wingmen. NE of Arras, we wiped out a flight of BE2c.

Then we sighted Nieuport 24 and followed them over the line. We shot at least 3 of the 4 craft down near N of Arras,

and near Etrun airfield. Later we spotted more French silvergrey fighters, and I shot down a second Nieuport 24.

This kill was actually stolen - the Nupe was already smoking, and there was a guy from Jasta 28w also after it.

After landing, I rolled into the tent just for fun, and the 1. Kette performed an almost great landing.

Exception: the 2. and 3. craft collided and blew up.

Beautiful screenies Olham...just beautiful. And what fine weather you're having. Since arriving at Jasta 16 in Dezember of 1916 I've been flying in rain, snow and sleet, when I can fly at all.

That's why I often start a new pilot beginning of May - the weather is just better then.

But if you want to fly the Halberstadt D.III or the albatros D.II, you can only fly in late 1916/early 1917.

I wish you sunny breaks!

An extremely plain, simple addition that loosely represents The Black Swallow of Death, Eugene Bullard. I could find very few details so took many liberties, aircraft number for example. Interesting story: http://en.wikipedia..../Eugene_Bullard

He served in Spa 93 and Spa 85 for his short lived career. Found a picture of this joker logo on another pic that was labeled as Spa 85. Yet the Aero Esc 85 logo, a bull, is different. So I ask you wizards what squadron is correct, the Joker or Bull.

Working on a few more obscure pilots. The research is not easy as a lot of information isn't available, online at least. Or what is available has a lot of holes in it.

eugenebullard.png

Edited by nbryant