Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT in memory of my Father

My dad died 10 yrs ago today, and I wanted to post this account of his experiences in the Special Operations Executive (SOE) during the war.

I wrote this using the memory of what he told me when I was a small boy, and I am sure there was a lot more to tell, but he was a modest man, and was also tied in with the Official Secrets act.

After the war, he worked for the Foreign Office in MI6 until his retirement, and at his funeral, a beautiful wreath arrived from the British Government office, which was a very nice gesture.

I hope you enjoy reading it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/40/a3694340.shtml

My dad died 10 yrs ago today, and I wanted to post this account of his experiences in the Special Operations Executive (SOE) during the war.

I wrote this using the memory of what he told me when I was a small boy, and I am sure there was a lot more to tell, but he was a modest man, and was also tied in with the Official Secrets act.

After the war, he worked for the Foreign Office in MI6 until his retirement, and at his funeral, a beautiful wreath arrived from the British Government office, which was a very nice gesture.

I hope you enjoy reading it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/40/a3694340.shtml

Most interesting read Widowmaker.One must have the greatest respect for a man with courage of this calibre.

I enjoyed reading it very much. It was privilege. Thanks posting the link. It is wonderful that he related his experience to you. It seems many were unable to talk of their experiences. Brings me to think of the reality of war..... not a mere game to play or book to read. God bless your dad and all who serve.

Amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you very much for your kind words, I am sure my dad would have very much appreciated them.

He always loved the excitement of his war years, and was a real adrenalin junkie!..... I felt sorry for him in his later years, as he often complained at how boring life was in Civvy Street.

(Though I always remember him when he was in his Eighties, whizzing around with my Brother on a mad meteor ride at the fun fair, his white flowing hair in a blur!...p*ssed as a newt on his favourite Brandy, laughing his socks off with youngsters Barfing and wobbling all over the place when they got off...and him commenting as he strolled off that "Youngsters today have no stomachs!"

great memories!... and testament to his words of advice for his kids (which i try to adher to)

"Always grow old disgracefully..and remember, that even royalty sh*t in a pan"

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I second that. Very interesting and a service to his country.

Very Interesting story, your father was a brave man. May he Rest In Peace.

Jesus...balls of steel. That's a father of whom any man could be proud.

Truly amazing account. You have every right to be proud. :yes:

ZZ.

(Though I always remember him when he was in his Eighties, whizzing around with my Brother on a mad meteor ride at the fun fair, his white flowing hair in a blur!...p*ssed as a newt on his favourite Brandy, laughing his socks off with youngsters Barfing and wobbling all over the place when they got off...and him commenting as he strolled off that "Youngsters today have no stomachs!"

Love it!  :good:

Outstanding read Widowmaker, thanks for sharing Sir. As others have said here, your father was indeed a brave man.

Salute!

Lou

Guest Barnstorm

Thank you for sharing that part of your family's histoy with us, UK WM. Your father was indeed part of the "Greatest Generation", like my father was also. I too lost my dad, only two years ago now. He was 86 and served as a bombadier on a B-29, flying off Guam, bombing Japan in 1945. Too bad we don't realize what a great resource our WWII vets are....We are losing them at a rate of over 1,000 per day in the U.S. alone.

SALUTE!

Thank you for sharing that part of your family's histoy with us, UK WM. Your father was indeed part of the "Greatest Generation", like my father was also. I too lost my dad, only two years ago now. He was 86 and served as a bombadier on a B-29, flying off Guam, bombing Japan in 1945. Too bad we don't realize what a great resource our WWII vets are....We are losing them at a rate of over 1,000 per day in the U.S. alone.

SALUTE!

Mr Joe 'AC' Worsley by any chance?

"We had a delayed fuse of about 8-10 mins i think, so we lit the bloody thing and legged it!...it was still the early days, and we all got much more sophisticated at this lark as time went on, with detonators and stuff...I ran like the whole German army was after us that night, i was badly shaken up by the sentries, and was begining to think i should have stayed in the R.E!

There was a dull thump, and a flash as it detonated....I used to sit and watch it go off on other missions, but i was too scared on this occasion, so carried on running!"

I daresay that's understating both the fear and the deed. The bravery needed to get on with the job, scared or not. They all had it, every man and woman in fact always fought two enemies but most, like you father WM, were too modest to make much of it.

My own father died before I became interested in WWII, alas. I regret missing the opportunity to ask him about it. He was in the Royal Artillery and the only thing I always remember him saying, when I asked the "what did you do in the war Dad?" question, was "Oh, I shot down a Spitfire by mistake once... pilot wasn't very happy about it"!

Outstanding read Widowmaker, thanks for sharing Sir. As others have said here, your father was indeed a brave man.

Salute!

Lou

Simon, I second these sentiments. you must be a very proud man. Take care of yourself and your family.

Thanks for sharing, Widowmaker. And thanks to your father for helping in keeping us free. :salute:

Thanks again everyone for your very kind words, I am filling up here

The men fighting under such stressful conditions with the resistance, almost single handed,

and always in the danger to be discovered and then definitely tortured to tell all -

these men deserve our most respect, for making the war shorter, for saving many lifes,

and for ending the "brown terror" faschist regiment.

Simon - hats off to your father!

Those Germans, who felt released, after the Nazi dictatorship ended, also owe a lot to men like him.

And great, that he doesn't seem to have lost his humour.

I'm sure he was proud of his contribution.

And, yes, Sir - you could!

Edit: my father was a radio operator on a vessel, shipping iron ore from Kiruna, Norway, to Germany.

Nothing heroic. But I'm glad to know, he hasn't had to shoot at any of your fathers.

Edited by Olham

Well I cant add much more to whats already been said. Thanks for sharing Widowmaker. Brave brave man he was. I'm glad you talked with your father about his experiences. I never got a chance to ask my Great Grandfather about his time in WW2. All I know is that he was captured by Nazis during the Battle of the Bulge and remained in captivity till the end of the war. They fed him rotten potatoes every day, and after the war he never ate a potatoe again! But Im lucky I did get the chance to talk with my other grandfathers about thier time in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.

Thanks

-Rooster

Thanks again everyone for your very kind words, I am filling up here

A hell of a guy!! Brave, tough and dedicated... Airborne!

Hey, I see our families have something in common... dropping into France and wreaking havoc. ;)

3 of my Uncles were Airborne. 1 was a Red Devil (82nd AB 508th), and the other two were 101st.

Here's my Uncle Ben who was in the 508th in full 'mess' dress.... nice boots eh? ;)

They were great men.. even at such a young age... unlike the disrespectful trash that walks the streets of our cities and town today. :(

Nov_19_001.bmp

OvS

Guest British_eh

Kind regards UK.

My Dad died one year ago, where has the time gone?

I remember as a 4 year old boy, he played a tape of Churchill's address of October 29, 1941, "Never give in,Never,Never, Never".....

He told me I was British too, and that I must abide by the principles and convictions that were ascribed to by Churchill. Sounded like allot for a four year old to digest, but it is one of the first things I can ever remember, and has stuck with me since. When he passed away, the most valuable possession he could give me,.......... was the tape.

Like UK, we can revel in the memory of what our father meant to us.

Cheers,

British_eh

Only one tank was servicable enough to drive off...the others were wrecked!"I detected a slightly smug tone to my dad's tone of voice when he recounted this particular part of the story!

I for one dont blame him for that!

That was one Great Generation of Men.

Thanks for the Smile that gave Me.

Guest Barnstorm
Mr Joe 'AC' Worsley by any chance?