Sign in to follow this  
Gr.Viper

Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam is Released!

Aren't most Il-2 maps a lot smaller than the ones in TK's sims? They also have a lot of them with water in that takes no space at all.

Consider this, though...SF2's DL was under 300MB, SF2V was under 500MB. How big was the HAWX installer? Probably took most of that DVD!

I mean, F.E.A.R.2 takes almost 12GB on my PC! 12GB!!! No mods, just stock, it came on 2 DVDs! That's an FPS of course, not a flight sim, but hi-res textures take SPACE.

I would love it if he could add his trees and buildings to the Formosa terrain.

working on it among other things

Ok...call me a dumb blonde...(even though im not actually blonde)...but its confusing me,n those who know me will know it doesnt take much to do that..!!!!.. :biggrin:

But..these new strike fighters 2 stuff....do i need em.?

i have all the original from sf / wov /woe /woi /fe gold....and all patched up n modded to my happiness,all run on unlimited graphics option.

so whats the difference between the first lot and these number 2 versions....is it just the vista support..?..as i dont use vista,im an xp fanataic.

do i buy em or go and buy new shoes instead.?

xx vanessa xx

or go and buy new shoes instead.?

How may of those have you got already? :grin:

How may of those have you got already? :grin:

Also, could you really get a decent pair of shoes for 14 quid?

loaded it up last night. A very nice setup and excellent integration between SF2 and SF2 Vietnam. Looking nice.

I've also moved over a suite of terrains and a couple extra planes to that setup. Those work great.

I'll probably delete my "stock install" of Wings over Vietnam but keep the heavily modded one for a little while yet. Or maybe not.....

vanessa, to answer your question - I think there are some significant performance fixes buried somewhere in the new release even for my ancient XP setup. It runs a lot better and has much improved graphics.

the flip side of that equation is that there are A LOT more mods, planes, campaigns, weapons packs, specific install variants (Desert Storm, WWII, Cuba, Falklands, etc.) that have yet to be modded to run on this setup. Not yet sure how those will all work in the new file structure.

so it depends on what you want to do. I'm loading up everything that TK puts out as soon as he does, but have no time to fully enjoy it all before the next mod, addition, tweak, etc, comes out.

The future is clearly SF2 and the variants from that. All the modders are still working out the details......

Ok...call me a dumb blonde...(even though im not actually blonde)...but its confusing me,n those who know me will know it doesnt take much to do that..!!!!.. :biggrin:

But..these new strike fighters 2 stuff....do i need em.?

i have all the original from sf / wov /woe /woi /fe gold....and all patched up n modded to my happiness,all run on unlimited graphics option.

so whats the difference between the first lot and these number 2 versions....is it just the vista support..?..as i dont use vista,im an xp fanataic.

do i buy em or go and buy new shoes instead.?

xx vanessa xx

racindriver1,

I was just a sceptical as You. I'm an XP user and have the same Titles as You do. My first thought was that SF2 was just updated for Vista Users. So, last December, I took a chance and purchased SF2. Being a long time user of ThirdWire Products I was amazed by the Visual Improvments of the Product. It uses DX10 Plug-ins that will run on a DX 9c Machines. All Textures have been improved. From the Main Screens to the Objects. Loading is somewhat Quicker. And the way the File Structure is handled, It makes addition of Mods more easier to manage. Yes, It's alittle different. It takes alittle to get used to. But if You have Experience in the eariler Titles, You'll be able to catch on pretty quickly. For what little the Developers are asking in Price for this Product, You won't regret taking the Chance.

I've had this line of Titles since Stratgy First published Strike Fighter Project 1 back in 2002. This latest Version I'm very much pleased with. I highly recommend it. I'm very much pleased with My Purchases.)

(I am in no way connected with ThirdWire. I'm just a Consumer, Just as Yourself.)

BTW, I say Buy SF2V. It'll be much better than buying Shoes that might not get used as often as this.......

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

Well, think of it this way...if you don't buy those shoes, there's not any risk they'll stop making them. :wink:

I've got every TW sim and I'll continue to get them...it's not like there's any OTHER sims coming out anyway! The only sim that wasn't from TW that I've bought in the past few YEARS was Black Shark, and the only other one coming out is Storm of War.

My only real wish right now is for him to do a good MP sim. I wouldn't even care if he makes it "closed" as long as it lets you fly every plane he's made for his other sims in one title. :wink:

racindriver1,

I was just a sceptical as You. I'm an XP user and have the same Titles as You do. My first thought was that SF2 was just updated for Vista Users. So, last December, I took a chance and purchased SF2. Being a long time user of ThirdWire Products I was amazed by the Visual Improvments of the Product. It uses DX10 Plug-ins that will run on a DX 9c Machines. All Textures have been improved. From the Main Screens to the Objects. Loading is somewhat Quicker. And the way the File Structure is handled, It makes addition of Mods more easier to manage. Yes, It's alittle different. It takes alittle to get used to. But if You have Experience in the eariler Titles, You'll be able to catch on pretty quickly. For what little the Developers are asking in Price for this Product, You won't regret taking the Chance.

I've had this line of Titles since Stratgy First published Strike Fighter Project 1 back in 2002. This latest Version I'm very much pleased with. I highly recommend it. I'm very much pleased with My Purchases.)

(I am in no way connected with ThirdWire. I'm just a Consumer, Just as Yourself.)

BTW, I say Buy SF2V. It'll be much better than buying Shoes that might not get used as often as this.......

331KillerBee

+1 When all the utilities and and titles are updated to SF2 "standards" things will be eaiser and better. For example, the stock cockpits are way better than before, screenshots are in jpg format, so no need to resize them to show them off here, and mods, if a mod is acting screwy all you need to do is delete it and the game will revert to using stock stuff insted of messing about and eventully having to delete the whole game and reinstall. No need to overwrite anything stock. All above all merged installs, that means more planes for the SF2 merc campaign!

Edited by Nightshift82

Also, could you really get a decent pair of shoes for 14 quid?

Thanks to Killerbee and Gerwin for setting me straight on the CatPak.

RacinDriver1, can you teach my wife how to shop for shoes in that price range? I figure I could save about $50 a trip. Prom Queens are always high-maintenance, though, so it probably wouldn't help much.

Edited by Jug

A TK stock Sandy / SPAD? :blink: Any comparison with the Monty CZ or Razbam birds?

How does Razbams SPADs and A-1Es, and Daves Black Ponies work with this?

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

USAFCorsair.jpg

HOBOS - Did we have them before?

Can someone tell me how to fix these 'little' problems?

post-29988-1240155722_thumb.jpg post-29988-1240155740_thumb.jpg

I remember dealing with that problem before but I've forgotten :blush:

Cheers, kb :good:

Are the rivers, estuaries and sea still supposed to be a silvery-white colour, though?

Check Column5 forum, he's got a fix for it, and for widesky

Check Column5 forum, he's got a fix for it, and for widesky

It's perfect now. I'm still catching my breath after seeing the breathtaking beauty of GH2 :rofl:

Thanks again, bud. Here's a postcard from Haiphong for your trouble ......

post-29988-1240168298_thumb.jpg

Anyway the A-4F flies like an A-1H in SF2 Vietnam, anyone notice? There's an error in the data.ini

Anyway the A-4F flies like an A-1H in SF2 Vietnam, anyone notice? There's an error in the data.ini

Fix is posted in my forum.

Fix is posted in my forum.

Thanks, I already fixed it by copying data from a valid A-4 ini. Didn't know it was already old news!

Yes! I just noticed this. Is there an easy way to correct this problem?

By the way is there a forum post with instructions on how to install mods like "Green Hell 2" and "VietnamSEA_Tile_Repaint_v1.0" into this new version 2 of the game? It took me weeks to figure out how to modify the older games and now version 2 of the game is changing the way you add these modifications? Ughg!!!

Edited by ktickner6767

A TK stock Sandy / SPAD? :blink: Any comparison with the Monty CZ or Razbam birds?

Here's the stock Spad with a couple of loving tweaks...

gallery_28053_226_171511.jpg

I wonder, what planes will get most serious updates there... Although only Hunters, Harriers and Hogs are left.

What about the F-15 Eagle? The A-model is nice, but if TK wanted to go the same route as he did with the Phantoms, he could bring in an early C-model pre-MSIP. Same goes for the the F-16C. Early Block25 Vipers would be nice for USAFE.

-S

Oh.. forgot about it. I hope, if TK updates those, some can ship straight to Israel. Pity what TK said about Starfighter.

I wonder, how TW A-10 will compare against DCS's :biggrin: