Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Car on the fritz

Just two weeks after getting it back from the shop for a new muffler, my car is acting up on me again :fie:

Now my brakes aren't working, apparently I'm leaking hydraulic fluid. At this rate, its becoming almost once a month something new needs fixing, and its about time to get a new car.

So I'm shopping around. I'm dead set against a nissan, as thats what I have now. Aweful sensors, check engine light is always on and there's always something going wrong even if the engine and transmission are practically indestructable. Toyottas rust like hell. Everyone suggests a Honda Civic, my brother has one, the few times I've driven it, I hated it, awkward frustrating and uncomfortable. Also, I'd rather avoid a civic because I'm a college student, and if you look at the parking lot its just a damn alternating pattern of civics, VW jettas, subaru WRXs, mitsubishis and dodge neons. I want to actually be able to recognize my car instead of having the stereotypical tween car.....nor do I want to get profiled as a reckless young driver, which is why I got a nissan maxima in the first place.

I'm looking for car experiences and advice. Digging around I've seen a few nice choices, a couple of nice hyundai sonatas and XG350s in my price range , like the look of a few chryslers (sebring and concord) too. There's also a Jaguar xj8 thats listed as the same price as a civic my father pointed out, the worry there is maintenance costs (but I love jaguars!). So does anybody have any experience driving/maintaining any of these cars, or have any suggestions?

• Dislike 1

Go drive a Civic Si and your opinion of them will probably change...

I just added a Subaru to my fleet - I like it!

(the all wheel drive is sort of important here in the Rockies)

Edited by Typhoid

I've owned a Toyota of one type or another since 1993, my parents and other family members since 1978, and we've never had one rust. Ever. Anywhere.

Worst thing that's happened is the paint would wear down on the older ones, but starting with our 1998 Solara the paint seemed to last better.

I have a Civic EX and I love it. Sure, when you turn on the A/C you lose half of your 2 horses, passing power absolutely sucks, and it feels like you're sitting 3 inches above the ground. But, it has sure made up for itself on gas mileage and the insurance rates are great, provided I don't get hit by an SUV.

Maintenance wise, it's an '04 - nothing has happened - gas, oil change, and go. No rust either. Now if I can just keep my kids from hitting the damn thing with their bikes.

Hrm well my car is dead. The list of things to fix is long and expensive to the point of a new car is a must now.

Argh! I really don't like civics except for the fuel economy and need enough HP to actually pass people or use the A/C. I don't suppose I can find a mini crapper for under 10k.

Oh hell why don't I just get a blue f**k subaru wrx, then I can put 3lbs of gel in my hair, take steroids and look like the rest of my town and school, ie. that douche in the my new haircut video that everyone has seen.

In a short lived surprise, I saw a 2008 convertible porsche 911 turbo listed for $2,400 alongside the other cheapo cars I was browsing through. Turns out in very small text in the bottom of the ad they were looking for someone to take over the lease, at $2,400 a month!

No Hyundai owners here to weigh in on them? A used Sonata is about the same size, price and mpg as a civic, but isn't a civic (yes, I really really don't like civics).

How about a nice 351 Cu In. Ford Focus?

Nissan makes some great looking cars. Love the 350Z but guessing it may be out of your price range. The Altima Coupe is a sharp lookin car.

Sorry, I'm a muscle car fan.....Dodge Charger R/T for me. You can actually pick up the V6 version of these cars extremely cheap. Great car with a lot of room. Good on gas, not great, but good.

Hate to say it, but there is a reason Toyota and Hondas are ubiquitious in parking lots...they're relatively inexpensive to buy and keep.

Check Consumer Reports if you don't believe me.

Personally I'd love a GT500KR convertible or a WRX STi (if I was feeling a bit more practical).

FC

Im currently learning to drive manual, and can i just say, one of the hardest things ive had to do to this day. I can do automatic just fine, but manual, i cant get the bloody thing going, but when i am going i do just fine with changing the gears. Its tricky, but ive only had like 1 hour and a bit in a manual so far so i guess ill practice some more....and wreck a car's engine in the process haha

Automatic = Ford Feista, its nice....

Manual = Huge Suzuki Grand Vitara, its powerful

Peugeot 206SW with diesel engine. Its a nice small beast.

Im currently learning to drive manual, and can i just say, one of the hardest things ive had to do to this day. I can do automatic just fine, but manual, i cant get the bloody thing going, but when i am going i do just fine with changing the gears. Its tricky, but ive only had like 1 hour and a bit in a manual so far so i guess ill practice some more....and wreck a car's engine in the process haha

Automatic = Ford Feista, its nice....

Manual = Huge Suzuki Grand Vitara, its powerful

Man... real driving is manual, automatic is just... :crutch00:

The only automatic I've ever driven was a Smart, and I found it appalling that every time it shifted it took like a second until it would accelerate... bah... nothing like being in full manual control of gear shifting...

On a side note, I made my driver's license in a Suzuki Grand Vitara... amazing how it survived me going to old town with such a monster...

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Sounds like you drove a crappy automatic. Most automatics don't even stop accelerating when they shift, at least not that you can perceive. Compare that to being able to pick out every person on the road using a manual because you see the car rock and even slow down when they shift...

Manuals are for people who don't have to deal with traffic. The most miserable experience in my life was dealing with my manual tranny going to college each morning in stop-and-go traffic.

Yeah, between the traffic here and the number of maniacs on the road an automatic is the only way to go. Gotta focus on the road and everyone else and not my shifting.

for myself, I will buy nothing but a manual for the pure joy of driving. Let the timid, mechanically-challenged ones stay out of MY way!

:biggrin:

I've done both, and while a love driving a manual...in stop and go traffic, it's a bear, especially on hills. It's not difficult, just annoying.

However, more modern technologies have allowed better and better 'manumatics'. Hell, even our Mazda5 microvan has one, and it's actually fun if you can believe it (Zoom, Zoom).

FC

Yeah, thats why I wanted a Mini, you can get one that you is automatic, and manual control, but they're so damn expensive. And a new car isn't in the cards right now.

I probably will end up with a civic, we found one online thats not too bad, has low mileage and is from a dealer (certified preowned and all that jazz) but who knows if it will even be there when we go to check it out.

Yeah, between the traffic here and the number of maniacs on the road an automatic is the only way to go. Gotta focus on the road and everyone else and not my shifting.

erase_tr, if you've learnt driving with manual from the beginning of your time as driver on the road, shifting gears becomes as second nature as turning the steering wheel or flooring the gas or hitting the brakes...

Jedi Master: The trick is to act real nervous and dangerous, and "take the shot" as much as possible. :spiteful:

Typhoon: Amen! :good:

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Me I will stick to 2 wheels... no fancy gizmo's just me the bike and the fresh air...

well, heres my 2 cents, after turning wrenches for over 14 years, im sad to say america cant touch what japan has to offer. with regular maintenance, a honda wont need major repairs until about 12-14 years, as with other japanese models, concerning jaguars, be prepaired to buy two of them, one to drive and one for parts. you might not like hondas, but some things you just gotta deal with.

There is no "joy of driving" in Florida.

Unless you find flat straight roads overpopulated with over 65's who can barely see the road and foreigners from places like New York, Georgia, and Texas a "joy," that is.

You don't drive the road here, you survive it.

I've done both, and while a love driving a manual...in stop and go traffic, it's a bear, especially on hills. It's not difficult, just annoying.

FC

well.......

I learned to drive a manual in Southern California - LA & SD, so I suspect I have the heavy traffic part down just fine; and now I fly the roads in Colorado - so we have "one or two hills" to contend with on a regular basis too.

For me - a manual is the only way to go. I like the control and the sport.

for my better half, I get her an automatic.

If your gonna learn to drive, learn in a manual drive car - then afterwards you can drive both real cars and bumper cars :victory:

There is no "joy of driving" in Florida.

Unless you find flat straight roads overpopulated with over 65's who can barely see the road and foreigners from places like New York, Georgia, and Texas a "joy," that is.

You don't drive the road here, you survive it.

Oh No! don't go blaming Florida's drivers on New York, native Floridian drivers are worse than Massholes(insane Massachussets drivers) My aunt down there totalled 2 cars in 2 months. But otherwise, yes, roads are a matter of survival down there!

That's the point. They don't drive like the locals do, so the locals are constantly doing even crazier things to get around/away from them. Sort of like Mr Magoo never got in an accident himself, but...