Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Air France Flight Missing

the brazilian ministry of defense, saide we found a 5 km debris stripe area ....the first photos should be out at any time now...since its night here.

Edited by Silverbolt

Reuters,CNN,FOX et al reporting debris is from the downed flight. Air France stated that the planes automated maintenance system reported TEN separate system malfunctions. Last known altitude was 7 miles up so this not going to have a happy ending.

FAB Photos:

foto_c130_2.jpg

foto_c130.jpg

they found more 4 sites of debris....some pieces had 7m diameter

the reported dispersal of debris fields is consistent with a breakup at altitude

locating the black box will be tough in that part of the ocean because of the depth and terrain. If we can detect the signal, then it may be possible for a deep submergence vehicle to get to it.

very sad.

the reported dispersal of debris fields is consistent with a breakup at altitude

locating the black box will be tough in that part of the ocean because of the depth and terrain. If we can detect the signal, then it may be possible for a deep submergence vehicle to get to it.

very sad.

France sent 2 submarines to the region those can operate at 6200m deep......

France sent 2 submarines to the region those can operate at 6200m deep......

hopefully they can pick up the signal.

the pinger in the box from the airliner I was hunting for, way back when, continued to operate for several weeks. So there is some hope we will be able to find these boxes. The problem will be the rough terrain with canyons and such that could potentially block the signal or result in multipath echoes. Time will tell.

hopefully they can pick up the signal.

the pinger in the box from the airliner I was hunting for, way back when, continued to operate for several weeks. So there is some hope we will be able to find these boxes. The problem will be the rough terrain with canyons and such that could potentially block the signal or result in multipath echoes. Time will tell.

i Hope So :/

the media here says the Blackbox still broadcasting the singal for 30 days after the crash....

Bump.The debris isn´t from the Airbus, FAB LtGen said. wtf

Yep,read this here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/ap_on_...ca/brazil_plane

Just do not what to make of this.

My heart and prayers go out to the families. RIP.

I am especially proud of the joint forces who have jumped in and allocated resources to the search. Defense is not the only role our armed forces do. My congratulations to the aircrew and naval forces who are involved in the search, which must be difficult and heart-breaking.

The Airbus is quite a reliable aircraft. So arises the suspicion of terrorism. I know it is not PC to say terrorism any more, but the suddenness and completeness of the destruction of the aircraft certainly leads to thoughts along those lines.

Yeah, cause the alternative theories would all point to tinfoil-hat-theories... :ph34r:

Yep,read this here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/ap_on_...ca/brazil_plane

Just do not what to make of this.

having hunted for downed aircraft, including an airliner, and missing ships and stuff; I can tell you that there is a lot of junk floating around on the surface of the ocean that has to be sorted through as you go through a search area. It is a long and meticulous process. We were picking stuff up for six weeks before we were withdrawn from the search effort.

When we shifted from Search-and-Rescue to Search-and-Recovery it was a heart-rending point, as Jug points out. Then the search team is picking up all kinds of junk floating around from who knows where and sorting through it to determine if it came from the aircraft you're looking for or something else.

They did report a seat and an oil slick on the first day, but were unable to recover the seat due to the sea state. Now they can't find it which means its probably sunk. That is a pretty good indication that is where the aircraft crashed, but without being able to recover any debris that clearly came from the aircraft they can't say with absolute certainty.

A lot of speculation and nothing can be ruled in or out. I doubt the terrorism possibility simply because the crash did occur in a major storm system, but no one at this point can rule that out either. So we will see.

I doubt we will ever find out unless by a stroke of extraordinarily good fortune, the black boxes can be located and recovered. At this point all we have is the fragmentary info from the onboard systems received prior to the aircraft breakup and the recorded weather data at the time.

Time will tell.

My prayers are for those lost at sea and their families ashore.

having hunted for downed aircraft, including an airliner, and missing ships and stuff; I can tell you that there is a lot of junk floating around on the surface of the ocean that has to be sorted through as you go through a search area. It is a long and meticulous process. We were picking stuff up for six weeks before we were withdrawn from the search effort.

When we shifted from Search-and-Rescue to Search-and-Recovery it was a heart-rending point, as Jug points out. Then the search team is picking up all kinds of junk floating around from who knows where and sorting through it to determine if it came from the aircraft you're looking for or something else.

They did report a seat and an oil slick on the first day, but were unable to recover the seat due to the sea state. Now they can't find it which means its probably sunk. That is a pretty good indication that is where the aircraft crashed, but without being able to recover any debris that clearly came from the aircraft they can't say with absolute certainty.

A lot of speculation and nothing can be ruled in or out. I doubt the terrorism possibility simply because the crash did occur in a major storm system, but no one at this point can rule that out either. So we will see.

I doubt we will ever find out unless by a stroke of extraordinarily good fortune, the black boxes can be located and recovered. At this point all we have is the fragmentary info from the onboard systems received prior to the aircraft breakup and the recorded weather data at the time.

Time will tell.

My prayers are for those lost at sea and their families ashore.

yeah, i'm starting to think they will never found the plane debris...one brazilian Black Hawk Pilot said their BHs don't have range to search for the derbis...so...our slow ships will have to take it, but i doubt they will do it in time.

yeah, i'm starting to think they will never found the plane debris...one brazilian Black Hawk Pilot said their BHs don't have range to search for the derbis...so...our slow ships will have to take it, but i doubt they will do it in time.

yep. Only ships can realistically do any recovery ops. The aircraft can find it but it takes the ships to recover anything.

yep. Only ships can realistically do any recovery ops. The aircraft can find it but it takes the ships to recover anything.

Bring back the Grumman Albatross, thinking of it since when heard of the misidentification on debris

(Perhaps Shin Meiwa?)

Edited by macelena

Bring back the Grumman Albatross, thinking of it since when heard of the misidentification on debris

(Perhaps Shin Meiwa?)

Shin Meiwa wouldn't be a bad idea...here our only hydro plane was the PBY-12

this is really bringing back a lot of bad memories...........

Edited by Typhoid

this is really bringing back a lot of bad memories...........

have you been in such of mission? :blink:

have you been in such of mission? :blink:

unfortuneatly, yes.

All we found was wreckage that eventually washed up on the beaches. 269 were lost in KAL007, no survivors.

We shifted from search and rescue to search and recovery to find the black boxes using ships with sonar including a USCG cutter towing a tactical sonar tuned to the black box frequency. We did not recover the black boxes, the Russians found it within Soviet territorial waters were the aircraft went down.

My squadron spent 7 weeks as part of the search task force starting the afternoon after the aircraft was shot down until we were withdrawn for other committments.

Edited by Typhoid

damn, that flight russians shot :(

that was very sad...

Edited by Silverbolt