Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

The plunge - have you taken it ?

My justifications.

A: Its only 20 bux.

B: Its easier to mod because of the file structure. Example Weapons being drag and drop, almost do not need the wep editor.

C. Better avionics

D. Better looking pits.

E. Lots of other little nit noid stuff too.

For those of you who just can't seem to wrap your head with the new file structure, take a look at these pics. Look familiar? Yep that is the saved game folder that vista uses. The only thing that goes in there is mods. In the 2nd pic you see the install structure that the sim uses. The only thing you need to do with that is well.....nothing. Even when you patch it, its patches that area, it doesn't even touch your mods. If you need something from a cat file then you get it from there. But other than that, you have no reason to really go in there.

Not to mention that if you mess up your game with something, re-install is no longer needed. Everything is in the separate MOD folder while normal game files are completely un-affected :)

Not to mention that if you mess up your game with something, re-install is no longer needed. Everything is in the separate MOD folder while normal game files are completely un-affected :)

Yes that is a huge one I forgot.

Another thing I like is the userlist thing. It nice to have a combines install with say Vietnam and Europe but will not run into NVAF Migs over Germany.

Since this is aired out, I guess We Modders won't hear from User's of the Old WOX Series " Is it WOX Compatible?"

The answer will be "No", The majority of Modders by the looks of this Thread, have moved on and are doing Mods strickly for SF2 Series.

So We shouldn't have any Complaints Community, Huh?

It makes no sense to work backwards. It's called Progress...........

A good example will be the T-38's FC has done. They wont be backward compatible.

A good example will be the T-38's FC has done. They wont be backward compatible.

EricJ's and FastCargo's work on the New Super Bug is a more Prime Example. People are going to wonder how come they can't have Decals on their DropTanks and how come they don't have an Afterburner Effect.......

Besides, TK has stated He ain't working backwards.........

Speaking of forwards, there is a lot of work to be done on the old mods...I mean there's a LOT of them. Did anybody consider a collective effort in converting all those plane and other mods to SF2 standards?

Speaking of forwards, there is a lot of work to be done on the old mods...I mean there's a LOT of them. Did anybody consider a collective effort in converting all those plane and other mods to SF2 standards?

Its been considered but who is going to do it? Even more important how about the quality control of those mods?

Some of us have started it already with the F-111's being a good example along with the F-4E ARN and the F-4G.

I know the F-15E will be updated, All I am waiting for is the pit. Yes it will have it own pit. From there I will ask FC to make the subtle changes to the I, K and S models as well.

Yep. I already took advantage of that. I started with SF2, did some tweaking and modding, and then went to isntall SF2V. I didn't realize until installation was complete that it automatically merged them for me. Since I'm still exploring the games on their own and trying get a feel for things, I don't want anything merged yet. While I did have to reinstall both titles, my mods were preserved in the separate folders.

Yes that is a huge one I forgot.

Another thing I like is the userlist thing. It nice to have a combines install with say Vietnam and Europe but will not run into NVAF Migs over Germany.

I haven't utilized that much yet, but once I attempt some merged installs, I'm sure it will come in handy!

Since this is aired out, I guess We Modders won't hear from User's of the Old WOX Series " Is it WOX Compatible?"

Yeah right :biggrin:

I have not taken the full plunge yet. Since I didnt had any of the new series before last week. Now I'm trying to get a feel for this. Until Now I like it, havent done any serious modding yet. Guees you'll have get used to the new Folder system. I cant say if I go full monty in the future but right now I'm not. There is still a lot of exellent stuff arround that's not compatible with the new series yet.

I just hope that it will be a while until the next series appear. So we not have to adjust again to soon.

Guees you'll have get used to the new Folder system.

What is there to get used to? Look at pics, the folder structure looks just like an older versions install. There is an objects folder, a missions folder, you add the sounds folder, effectrs folder or whatever like the old series and you just mod form there. After that is set its mods just like old stuff.

What is there to get used to? Look at pics, the folder structure looks just like an older versions install. There is an objects folder, a missions folder, you add the sounds folder, effectrs folder or whatever like the old series and you just mod form there. After that is set its mods just like old stuff.

I know, it just feels a little odd modding in your saved games folder, that's all. But I can see a clear avantage not messing with the Core files.

My main hang up is the fact that I have a very hard time staying online anymore (our services are kind'a crappy here) and I also don't know exactly what mods are up to the new standards and what aren't.

Granted I think I also might just be set too much in my ways as is...

Chaser I started an SF2 downloads section ( I will be adding more to it today). So far all the mods that are SF2 compatible are marked as such.

hgbn

Do what I do make a short cut to that folder on your desktop, then it will be like you are never in the saved games folder.

hgbn

Do what I do make a short cut to that folder on your desktop, then it will be like you are never in the saved games folder.

:good::biggrin: Good idea

People are making this out harder then it really is. If someone would of explained it to me the way I just did I wouldn't of been in a panic either

Nice wallpaper Dave, looks familiar :wink:

back on topic -the only thing I haven't yet used to is the multiple Cat files -hard to remember where's what, and a cat extractor with the ability to extract single selected file would be of great use

Stary,

Very true. TK has mentioned he is going to release a CAT extractor himself. That would be VERY helpful, especially if it has at least the utility of the old TW Gen 1 CAT extractor.

I'll tell ya folks, I can't emphasize how much easier installing mods is with Gen 2 ThirdWire sims. For the end user especially, it's a godsend. I can't tell you how many times I've had to help folks dealing with Weapondata errors and pilot addons.

Really, except for decals, darn near everything is easier with the SF2 series. And even decals is easy to change as USAFMTL showed me if you're bringing an older mod into the SF2 series....don't even have to edit a single ini file.

FC

That would be VERY helpful, especially if it has at least the utility of the old TW Gen 1 CAT extractor.

I hope that it'll be intergrated just like weapons editor and will put selected extracted files in the right folder in the designated mods folder.

Honestly, HD space is cheap and as stated getting some of these mods updated will be a major PITA. So I'm not going to trash any old installs unless an updated one comes out (like OTC) to 100% replace it. Just like I sometimes load up a classic FPS or RTS to play, so I also load up older flight sims, especially modded ones.

There's room for all of them on my HD!

Honestly, HD space is cheap and as stated getting some of these mods updated will be a major PITA.

No not really, it takes a little time but not much. Its usually just a few line edits and moving or making a folder. Its just a large untaking for a few people. As you can see look at all the planes that people have ready to go in SF2 format. JM have you modded anything?

I skipped SF2.

I have and enjoy SF2V and will most likely get SF2E. I know it's only $20 but I have other priorities at the moment.

I may stick with WOI as is. I do not mod it and really only fly it as a replacement for Jane's IAF.

I never played any of the first-gen TW games. I only recently discovered the TW series and since I have Vista on my computer, I went with SF2/V/E by default. I'm really liking these games. The newest flight sim I owned until I got SF2 was Jane's F/A-18, so it was nice to get back into the saddle (ejector seat?) with a more realistic sim.

I'm going to move over all the first series games onto my spare drive tomorrow. Should free up about 39 gig the rest will be all second series. But I will keep first eagles stuff where it is for now until FE2.