Sign in to follow this  
feldwebel

tutorials for sf2? How to take off, etc.

I can take off from the runway and play the game just fine, but the only problem is that I am one of those people that sweat the small stuff. I was wondering if there is a tutorial on taking off in strike fighters 2 vietnam, europe, or just sf2?

They all take off the same in each sim.

• Like 1

lol i agree, like tutorial of the proper way to engage enemy, proper way to formation, proper technique with your wingman and all kind of that stuff. Because heck when i play WO* series i just wing every missions not even caring if im doing the right things. because im not a pilot or anything, just a civillian that like to shoot stuff in a game.

All that information is out there, if you're willing to look for it.

Check the dogfighting and bombing tutorials that Andy Bush wrote, at SimHQ.

StreakEagle wrote a tutorial on how to use radar in A2A combat....you'll find that one at ThirdWire's site.

I'm guessing the proper way to takeoff goes something like this:

1. Disengage wheel brakes.

2. Throttle up.

3. Pull up lightly around 150 knts.

4. When airborne, raise landing gear and flaps

Generally yes, various aircraft have different takeoff speeds but that's a starting rule of thumb.

Ive never seen any actual take off figures for the jets they all differ - but then again the flight models have changed a lot over the years - and it depends what weps load you are carrying also due to the weight.

Ideally get airbourne before the wheels fall off - if you dont know where this point is practise taking off in the jet before using it in a campaign. WIth the Harrier for example you can roll to about 50 kts and then vector the nozzles to get airbourne.

some jets need 200kts or more.

And the figures may change in the future with other changes.

There is an excellent tutorial for take off and landing in Microsoft Flight Simulator series, for props and jets.

All that information is out there, if you're willing to look for it.

Check the dogfighting and bombing tutorials that Andy Bush wrote, at SimHQ.

StreakEagle wrote a tutorial on how to use radar in A2A combat....you'll find that one at ThirdWire's site.

Well Fubar, so it might be- but there is a hell of a lot of looking i have done just coming almost fresh to WoE, but some is very hard to find.

OTOH, asking a specific Q is found to be more helpful IMHO.

E.g. Your answer here as to where to find tutorials on dogfighting, bombing and radar in A2A has no doubt saved a whole lot of searching by feldwelbel and snypes,which may not have been successful.

So, there is a case for a noobie asking a specific question which one at least of the many experts in the game can answer.

I have asked some Qs, I'd like to ask others, but I am somewhat reluctant to when the answer is likely to be " look in the forums" etc. I have seen so many of those.

I am looking for ground attack tutorials so i searched "strike tutorials" ( which found me this thread ) but I haven't found the ground ones.if there are any.

It does seem the best chance of a specific answer is the kindness of those, who know, answering the question

I'm not trying to be awkward about this, but I am so aware that I could do so much more with this sim if I knew how to- What is the nature of the weapons in the load list- which should be used for what? Best loads for which missions? How best to use the weapons for which targets together with the radar etc etc.

The Falcon 4 manual was brilliant at this, and if similar tutorials exist out there for SF, then

prominent pointers to them would be great.

Some say this is a fun sim and not deep enough. I don't agree. I find it hard to play this sim

on hard settings and win, even sometimes. It is immersive for me and i know it can be very immersive if i can readily learn a lot of what this sim can do.

I do envy you chaps that have "cracked " it-lol

Using what fubar said, i googled simhq bombing and i got this: SimHQ Bombing Techniques for SF1

About your other questions, the ones about bombs and such. I dont know if those exist but if you say you read the falcon manual then you should have some info about it all because its basicly the same weapons. If that isnt enough then i guess you will have to google every weapon. Thats what i did until i learned what they do.

Use of weapons comes from articles and an interest in aviation books I suppose - thats what TK bases some things on (as well as math)- ie judging reliabilty through combat records etc etc.

Nobody likes writing documentation so unless TK decides to add more in then its down to someone else so its probably not going to happen.

The SF2 manual does have some weps info http://www.thirdwire.com/man/sf2/Strike_Fighters_2_References.htm#Air-to-Air

Bunyaps weapons delivery manual might help http://bunyap2w1.com/SFP1_Wiki/index.php?title=Weapons_Delivery_Manual

A-A tutorial http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

Try to use 60s jets like the F-4B/C/D / F-100D mostly.

A TrackIR is essential for looking around and zooming in on objects.

The Falcon 4 AF manual was about 500 pages long but most of it on fighting and avoiding missiles is truly useless information - that comes from searching forum threads/flying in online squadrons/reading books.

btw - Its in everyones best interests to search forum threads - most things have been said over and over.

Nobody likes writing documentation so unless TK decides to add more in then its down to someone else so its probably not going to happen.

Yes, I can understand that- But it may be that somewhere = other websites possibly, wherever?, -that there are tutorials/articles as described which are known to some of this forum's users; and noobies asking the questions could get directed there.

Whereas relying on searching only may not get the answer

The SF2 manual does have some weps info http://www.thirdwire.com/man/sf2/Strike_Fighters_2_References.htm#Air-to-Air

Bunyaps weapons delivery manual might help http://bunyap2w1.com/SFP1_Wiki/index.php?title=Weapons_Delivery_Manual

A-A tutorial http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

thanks for these. Will look them up

A TrackIR is essential for looking around and zooming in on objects.

Agreed - had one since Trackir 1

The Falcon 4 AF manual was about 500 pages long but most of it on fighting and avoiding missiles is truly useless information - that comes from searching forum threads/flying in online squadrons/reading books.

Don't agree- :no: The manual showed how each individual weapon was used and implemented within the sim, step by step and that is where it was excellent.

SF has different settings hard and Normal and there isn't any articles anywhere AFAIAA, which are comparable to the F4 manual in this respect, e.g. how a shrike/ GBU is used step by step on hard settings in SF.

If anyone knows where there is - please point me there-Thanks.

btw - Its in everyones best interests to search forum threads - most things have been said over and over.

Don't disagree - but adding such comments to all noobs questions is easily construed as saying

Stop bothering us with these questions.

If you took questions away from the forum, what much would be left?=:)

oh my god, I wrote something loong and lost it due connection problem :-(

Basicaly I miss talking about actualy flying planes. Advantages and disadvantages of each of them.

So why not to start here?

Take off from my point of view: (not talking about NAVY because there it is full AB, brakes and pffft you are flying :-) )

preflight check - skipped in this sim because everything is allways working

taxiing - skipped you are on RWY already

contact tower - skipped, no comunication available

flaps - already there

engine - already started and heated.

from this point it depends which plane you are in.

Prop planes - you have to manage torque effect so release brakes and add throttle slowly

or you will turn or (and this is worse) pitch nose down.

Early jets - accelerates slowly, so it helps to retract flaps and deploy them at 120kmh (my way, not the historicaly correct)

Harrier - if you want VTOL dont arm your plane, it cannot take off verticaly with rockets, bombs, ammo and fuel

There is JATO bottles mod (jet assisted take off??) it might be fun to try (never tried).

each plane has its own take off speed so trying to pull up too early will cause slowing down or stalling.

from F-86 till todays planes you can simply add throttle and release brakes, it will fly :-)

dont forget to retract gear and flaps.

anybody have any further suggestions?

MontyCZ

Take a look on the ordonance weight, if your jet is fully loaded with stuff, it need a bit more speed and runway, sometimes even time to take of. Same with landing, if you still have a lot of fuel, so be carefull in some jets, less is better!

Well having been modding this since the beginning we have created a huge knowledge base for both series of this sim that has tons and tons of information. There are links to places to go to learn how to bomb, use the radar, to how to add terrains. Is it all one place? No, welcome to the Internet. It's all about the amount of work a person wants to invest on learning this stuff.

Reading all this, I can't help notice that for a lite sim, there are a lot thing you have to pay attention to when using missles or bombs.  :)

Edited by MarinerOne

Gee, that must be why the MiG-29's dogfight record is 0 for 12 so far. O victories, for the loss of 12 MiG-29s.

Well I'm sure the pathetic training standards of the serbian and various arab airforces have something to do with the kill ration.

Very good point Jules.

Well I'm sure the pathetic training standards of the serbian and various arab airforces have something to do with the kill ration.

Potentially - Iraq had some very experienced combat pilots (from the 1980-88 war ) but were no doubt overwhelmed - and the only recorded head on Merge (in combat) between an F-15C and Iraqi MiG-29A resulted in the F-15 out turning the MiG!

Syria in 82 also had experienced Aces with many kills flying for them but had no counter to the advanced avionics in F-15/F-16.

Edited by MigBuster

Well the thing is experience from Iran vs Iraq doesn't really matter when that experience is against an opponent just as pathetic as yourself. The standards of the USAF are infinitely higher compared to those of Israel, who in turn has consistently spanked the various arab forces despite being outnumbered and the opponents having decent tech. So it probably doesn't matter what equipment you give arabs, because they'll be completely worthless when it comes to using it. You could have given the Iraqis F-22's and they'd still get the s**t kicked out of them 12-0.

Well the thing is experience from Iran vs Iraq doesn't really matter when that experience is against an opponent just as pathetic as yourself. The standards of the USAF are infinitely higher compared to those of Israel, who in turn has consistently spanked the various arab forces despite being outnumbered and the opponents having decent tech. So it probably doesn't matter what equipment you give arabs, because they'll be completely worthless when it comes to using it. You could have given the Iraqis F-22's and they'd still get the s**t kicked out of them 12-0.

The Iranian pilots were actually trained in the US by the USAF in the 1960s and 1970s and had far superior equipment compared to Iraq - the Iraqi pilots were really up against it until the later years of the war.

From the late 1960s Israeli pilots were USAF trained.

The USAF were also surprised at how good some Egyptian pilots were when they started training them (when Egypt started receiving allied equipment) - because like you they assumed they must all have been useless pilots.

Not claiming to have the full truth but here are some useful books on the subject that I have you may want to check out:

• Loud and Clear "memoirs of an Israeli fighter pilot"(Iftach Spector)
  • Arab MiG-19 and MiG-21 units in combat (Osprey)
  • Iranian F-4 Phantom II Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Israeli A-4 Skyhawk Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Israeli F-15 Eagle Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Israeli F-4 Phantom II Aces (Osprey)
  • Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces (Osprey)

• Arab MiG-19 and MiG-21 units in combat (Osprey)
  • Iranian F-4 Phantom II Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Israeli A-4 Skyhawk Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Israeli F-15 Eagle Units in combat (Osprey)
  • Israeli F-4 Phantom II Aces (Osprey)
  • Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces (Osprey)

I have all those......:drinks::yikes: