Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

O.T. Still flying RB3D?

I would think that a large number of OFF'ers cut their teeth on RB3D.

I have two installs going (one with WFP2 and the other with HASP) all loaded with new terrains, skies, sounds, etc, etc.

While OFF is clearly great (and it gets must of my stick time)I just can't seem to stay away from RB3D for long and fire it up quite often.

Hard to imagine I have goofing with it for....whats it been...12 years since its been out?

Kind of amazing. Or perhaps I am just weird as hell!

Anyone still fire it up and take a spin once in a while?

Must be a few "FITS" people here also among the older crowd I would imagine.

Duke- Must say have not flown RB in years.

Primarily because OFF came out and seemed more "advanced" and because RB in SP became very, very predictable..at least for me. But I have great "simming" memories from RB, absolutely .

Regards,

Royce

Yes, it's like an old friend who you aint been in touch with for a long time.... but there is usually a reason for that!...even if it's just that you have moved on.

Thats how I feel about RB3d

I'm afraid OFF has rather spoiled me for RB3D. Everything about OFF except maybe MMP is better the RB. I spent more time at the end of my RB career in MMP, but the mismatch of FM's and DM's rather killed it for me. I am enjoying MMP in OFF, but it is a small group, rather like my old 94th squad in RB.

Beard

Not since OFF Phase 2 came out. I alternated sometimes between Phase 1 and RB3d, but not after OFF grew enough to be more comprehensive.

I've spent a considerable number of hours trying to get RB3D work decently on my current PC. Then I found OFF, and completely forgot about RB3D. No matter how much RB3D was modded (and some of those mods were brilliant), it was becoming quite clear that that sim was a thing of the past. There are some limits to modding that even the most ingenious developers can't cross. I have very fond memories of all those years of playing RB3D, but I've now moved on to OFF - it's just so much better in so many ways that there's no point in going back.

That's a kind of nostalgia, Duke, I would say. It shows, how much RedBaron3D meant for you;

it's linked to a lot of "good memory brain cells", and if it ever came to make free space on your

hard drive, you wouldn't erase those.

Here is a website for you to check - they also seem to be long time friends. And if you should

register there, it would be REALLY great, if you could introduce "Between Heaven and Hell" to

them there.

www.jasta5.org

Check the link "RB3D"

red baron 3d, the founding father of everything we can enjoy today. the manager still the best (which i'm really missing), and the replay tool also. i hope and know it will be that BHAH will reach the quality of the manager some day. drinks.gif

RB3D was for it's time, the best it could have been with either of the 3 main patches installed... that being WFP. FCJ, or my own HASP. It taught me a lot about WWI and the many deeper aspects of it... like you said, cutting your teeth.

But now 11 years old... even modded, does not compare at all to OFF. It was a great mold to buld OFF from, and gave us a HUGE example of what to do and what not to do (removing LGM's).

So no, I have not played it in years, and never will again.. but I don't dare disconnect myself from the great experiences I had playing it, or modding it. Without it, I would not be part of OFF...

But with OFF, for me, it allowed me to really dig deep with my skins and have a ball, not worrying about any 256 color palettes, or mirrored sides... or anything. 400+ active German pilots... compared to what... 20 in RB3D.

It was a great amount of fun for it's time, and really gave many of us a decent taste of WWI Air Combat. But OFF puts us into the war. :)

All the best,

OvS

I've got RB3D loaded into a ten year old HP with a Voodoo SLI setup (thanks OvS) and my 3 year old loves it! I still play it some to show him how things are done.

Like many of you I have wonderful memories of RB3D, the SP campaigns, and the friends I flew it with online. I still have my Red Baron computer that I built with a Voodoo 5500 strictly to push the old sim to the max, and I must admit I did fire it up about two months ago and jumped in for a few bombing runs on some Hun aerodromes and bridges. However, OFF BHaH has shown me the new vistas of fairer fields, and I believe I'll let the old pioneer WW1 combat sim rest in peace.

Cheers!

Lou

I think a lot of us have great RB memories. I picked up RB in 1998 when my parents bought a new computer. I upgraded the video card to a Voodoo and spent years on the boards trying out new mods (HASP, WFP, Beery 2.0, Wingstrut 2.2, FCJ, etc...) and making friends along the way. I loved the SP campaign and even hopped on, with a dial up modem, to play MMP.

That said, I'm running a brand new Vista rig and RB3D only sort of works (actually it stutters and runs too fast, depending on the situation) and OFF feels very much like the natural successor to RB in terms of feel and immersion. If I had my old rig with me here at grad school, I'd probably fire up RB (and European Air War, the definitive WWII sim of the era) more often. C'est la vie. RB gave me nearly 10 years of amazing missions - I hope OFF P3 lasts me as long.

Pssst: Don't tell anyone this. But I actually took out the old menu music from RB3D (not the mods, the original music that shipped with RBII) and spliced it into the OFF menu music. Please don't be offended. I love the score to OFF, but found that after a few missions I felt incredibly depressed (adagio for strings will wrench your heart) and needed something a bit more uplifting sounding, even for WWI. So I really feel like I'm playing a brand new RB that is worlds better than the original.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

CaptSopwith- Do I recall correctly..was it you who created that excellent history of RB? Modding etc? Just curious.

If so, it was a great essay!

Regards,

Royce

CaptSopwith- Do I recall correctly..was it you who created that excellent history of RB? Modding etc? Just curious.

If so, it was a great essay!

Regards,

Royce

Hey Royce! Thank you for the kind words. Yeah that was me - back in... 2004 I think? I'm glad you liked it. I've gone back and re-read it and I cringe at the style. I've since put my historical leanings to good use. I'm a grad student now working on my MA history degree and specializing in Early 20th Century Europe, Modern Germany, and German Aviation.

For anyone who's curious as to what Royce is referring to, head over to OVS's archived Hell's Angels site where he graciously stored my history of the sim and the community.

http://www.hellsange...com/history.htm

Edited by _CaptSopwith

CJ,

It might still be available on the web, but if you want you're welcome to my copy - I loved RB3D in its time, but I feel that it's now passed, so if you want to make me an offer for FCJ, just PM me.

I too have kept and old VooDoo 5500 PC just for RB3D, after all, it was my first REAL flight simulator. But just reciently I downloaded a RB3D package that was already been configured for XP with all the XP fixes necessary (you just have to add your favorite Glide converter). As a result, I not only fly at greater than 75 FPS with full graphics (far better than my old VooDoo 5500 PC), it is also configured for my widescreen monitor (1920x1200), without stretching.

Panama- Where can i get the XP download and set up for RB on new/fast machines? Might try and take the "old girl" out for a spin ;>)

Regards,

Royce

Edited by cptroyce

I loved hte origainal Red Baron and Red Baron 3d; the full canvas jacket add on was a real work of art, however, advances in technology eventually defeated me; I struggled to get any sort of sahbility and the constant ctd in XP meant I eventually gave it up.

Panama- Where can i get the XP download and set up for RB on new/fast machines? Might try and take the "old girl" out for a spin ;>)

Regards,

Royce

Yeah man, post that info! If I can run it again, I'd like to see it once more. :drinks:

I looked around today and can not find the original link from where I originally downloaded it from a couple of months ago, but if someone will tell me where to post the "RB3D_XP_install.exe", I will gladly do it for everybody. Plus I will give the secret on how to get it to run widescreen without stretching. :grin:

Maybe we can get Polovski to host it since he still has a bunch of other RB3D files on his website !!!

Edited by Panama Red

I still fly 9 variations of RB3D under XP using dgvoodoo 1.5 and reload that allows TIR mouse emulation.

Shoot, I fly Flying Corp Gold as well, and under De-fend Reloaded, RB and Wings of Glory.

The older sims are like watching a really good classic bw movie.

plug_nickel

It would be nice to try this one again.

Hopefully Panama Red can upload that file so we can get it.

Does anyone know if Full Canvas Jacket is still available. I never tried that mod, or is it any better than the free one made by OVS?

Cheers MarkL

It would be nice to try this one again.

Hopefully Panama Red can upload that file so we can get it.

Does anyone know if Full Canvas Jacket is still available. I never tried that mod, or is it any better than the free one made by OVS?

Cheers MarkL

FCJ looked better than HASP... but the content I had far exceeded FCJ. Side-by-side... you got more bang for your buck with HASP as it was free... good.gif

The scenery in FCJ was claimed to be better than HASP, but I diagreed as Rabu did a far superior job of making the country side in HASP blended and seamless, unlike the definate repition of tiles you saw at high altitude in FCJ. Plus we matched the look of the skins to the look of the scenery. But again, it all depended on who was using it, and their opinions.

I am biased because I made HASP... grin.gif

OvS