Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

Silent Sukhoi...

I'd say that's just a test bed for something else.

Those stabilizing vertical surfaces that make 90 degree cross with wings and rear surfaces still make it glow like a torch on the radar screen. See the Silent Eagle and how they changed the angle between vertical and horizontal surfaces.

Photoshoped?:blink:

i also think it's heavy photoshopped.

if you look at closely at the intakes, you will see some signs of the copy/paste

i also think it's heavy photoshopped.

if you look at closely at the intakes, you will see some signs of the copy/paste

I'm sure this is heavy photoshopped.

This is a project that IAF planing to update there Su-30MKIs

I'm intrigued by the idea, but with the large pylon-y looking things at the wing root and the two slab sided supersonic stabilisers beneath aelerons, they're gonna have to do better than that to reduce the RCS. I thought the Russians, Chinese and Indian were having a lot of success with reducing the RCS by adding composites (and heavily modified intakes) and those RAM coatings to aircraft. What is the coating, ferrite or something? Still, with the room they'd create by adding a bay between the engine intakes, there'd be a lot of room for weapons or fuel. It'd certainly give the Strike/Silent Eagles some good competition.

The main reason for the big RCS of the Su-27 family was the fan of the engines. In head on maneuvres the radar of the enemy got a perfect view on the fan. Same problems had MiG-29, F-15 and in some aspects F-16. Coating of the air intakes are a big improvement. The americans did it with the F-16, the soviets tested it with the MiG-29M (i'm not sure wheter they have introduced that feature in real life service) The RCS of the MiG-29A was 15 square meters (nearly that of a Tu-16 bomber) the RCS of the MiG-29M was 1.5 square meters.

Edited by Gepard

The main reason for the big RCS of the Su-27 family was the fan of the engines. In head on maneuvres the radar of the enemy got a perfect view on the fan. Same problems had MiG-29, F-15 and in some aspects F-16. Coating of the air intakes are a big improvement. The americans did it with the F-16, the soviets tested it with the MiG-29M (i'm not sure wheter they have introduced that feature in real life service) The RCS of the MiG-29A was 15 square meters (nearly that of a Tu-16 bomber) the RCS of the MiG-29M was 1.5 square meters.

One way to reduce that problem is by using channeled ducts. Instead of the fan and compressor blades being in direct view through the intake and exhaust manifolds, have coated panneling block the immediate view of the blades, and channel it in a way that keeps it completely hidden.

Practical on a new design, but not on a modification of an existing design like the Fulcrum or Flanker.

What they really need is a blocker like the Super Hornet has. They couldn't do much with the intakes on that, but they created a plug that had a minimal impact on performance and did almost the same thing.

The best way to produce a stealth airframe is to design it that way from the beginning. Of course, that may not always be an option...