Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Volunteers needed for DiD campaign.

I'm in. I'll go along with what's decided and try to follow orders. I think this would be paricularly nice with the unique skin fix and maybe some new crates. If we only knew the release details the information would help in making some decisions. Good idea regardless.

Edited by Rickitycrate

I like the idea of using the two-seaters to start, although I'm in agreement with Dej that there are a few immersion issues yet (e.g., clambering over the fuselage in midflight to take over the gun as the AI gunner makes way to the cockpit, and then back again to land- given the AI's propensity to 'trade paint' on landing) but I'll be happy to participate anyway.

You could always select a couple of two-seater units on both sides as optional, when you select scout units. Personally I'm happy just to fly, so to me which units get picked as ones we select from isn't a big issue. Olham had a good suggestion though that maybe units with a more varied stable of machines over the campaign period might be more appealing. If you are selecting a few units to choose from, maybe an RNAS, a couple of RFC, an Escadrille, and a couple of Jastas? Maybe a poll would be in order to see some numbers in order to fill units then, a long the lines of (as an example only) 'Would you fly for: Escadrille No.3, RFC 19, RFC 56, RNAS 8, Jasta 2, Jasta 12, then just pick the most populated ones, as I'm thinking that the lone chap who chose Jasta 12 would be fine joining his colleagues in Jasta 2...

drinks.gif

I like the idea of using the two-seaters to start, although I'm in agreement with Dej that there are a few immersion issues yet (e.g., clambering over the fuselage in midflight to take over the gun as the AI gunner makes way to the cockpit, and then back again to land- given the AI's propensity to 'trade paint' on landing) but I'll be happy to participate anyway.

You could always select a couple of two-seater units on both sides as optional, when you select scout units. Personally I'm happy just to fly, so to me which units get picked as ones we select from isn't a big issue. Olham had a good suggestion though that maybe units with a more varied stable of machines over the campaign period might be more appealing. If you are selecting a few units to choose from, maybe an RNAS, a couple of RFC, an Escadrille, and a couple of Jastas? Maybe a poll would be in order to see some numbers in order to fill units then, a long the lines of (as an example only) 'Would you fly for: Escadrille No.3, RFC 19, RFC 56, RNAS 8, Jasta 2, Jasta 12, then just pick the most populated ones, as I'm thinking that the lone chap who chose Jasta 12 would be fine joining his colleagues in Jasta 2...

drinks.gif

Multiple units, unless attended by a large number of participants right off the bat, would defeat a significant part of the exercise...there'd be units here and there with only one pilot in each of them.

The two-seater idea seems to be the way to go, kind of a delayed-gratification thing. Slow everyone down, get used to flying defensively and all the esprit de corp to be had from flying in the same outfit (on each side respectively). :good:

Siggi, perhaps you should change the title of this post, so more people realise, what 's going on here?

So far I have counted 10:

Siggi

Olham

Baldric

cptroyce

Manuc

Ras

Dej

Creaghorn

RedDog

Rickitycrate

Hmm, I tried but it doesn't seem possible to change a thread title.

Thanks for the count Olham. How many do we have for the German side?

Edited by Siggi

It sounds like a good idea to me too, but many historical days comprised two or three missions. One might be doable for a commitment but not two or three.

Siggi, you can change it, when you press "edit" and then "use full editor".

Not sure for German side; I guess Baldric, Creaghorn and Olham so far.

Edited by Olham

It sounds like a good idea to me too, but many historical days comprised two or three missions. One might be doable for a commitment but not two or three.

You wouldn't have to fly all the set missions, real pilots didn't all fly the same number of missions each day. You'd fly as many or as few as you wished, on whatever days you wished. All you'd have to do is advance time after missing a day or more and keep the game time in sync with real time. :)

Mr.Lucky, will you fly "the dark side"?

Mr.Lucky, will you fly "the dark side"?

More than likely. Though, you know, I favor the Vosges. I had an idea, don't know if it was mentioned.

What if we could get a roster and substitute the names in our squadron with those in the roster, and update them daily with results from the web site as to who ended up KIA, MIA, etc. regardless of the outcome on our computers?

Might not want to bother with mine, longest I've lasted is 7 days.

Well, it depends on the choice people make - maybe you would have to come out

of your Vosges for this campaign?

But I think, here are two good ideas:

we should find a Jasta/Squadron, that

1. operates in many different areas, from the north sea to the vosges (the more the better)

2. flies all aircraft types of that nation

That should limit the choice down perfectly - what do you others say?

Okay, so the "Huns" so far might be:

Olham

Creaghorn

Baldric

Mr.Lucky

Rickitycrate

The others all British?

Siggi

cptroyce

Manuc

Ras

Dej

RedDog

Okay, so the "Huns" so far might be:

Olham

Creaghorn

Baldric

Mr.Lucky

Rickitycrate

The others all British?

Siggi

cptroyce

Manuc

Ras

Dej

RedDog

I saw Dej had the roster idea before me....great minds think alike.

I also had to laugh 'Baldric' for our side? I knew the stupid bit was just an act...he was actually spying for us! I bet he has a cunning plan....

I also had to laugh 'Baldric' for our side? I knew the stupid bit was just an act...he was actually spying for us! I bet he has a cunning plan....

Hehe, I was at a loss for a forum moniker when I signed up here while waiting my copy of OFF to arrive at the end of August/early September, so I fell back on my forum name from a games group I belong to in the UK and our ancient Battlefield 1942 clan names (1st Hussars, and games group is HGG). I'm known as Leaf on my own forums (mainly MMO gaming). Don't think I can change it drinks.gif

Olham, I'll fly in whatever Jasta you want to start.Salute.gif

I'm in. I alternate sides of the war, so stick me on where you end up short a pilot or two.

Velvet.

Looks good to me...let me know when to report to the field.

Royce

Looks good to me also. This should be interesting. Ras

You may want to read the "Reports from the Front", Mr. Lucky?

Baldric has made many sorties and reports/letters from the German side.

Okay, so far I recruited you for the Huns, Velvet. Now we have 6 on each side:

Olham

Creaghorn

Baldric

Mr.Lucky

Rickitycrate

Velvet

The British:

Siggi

cptroyce

Manuc

Ras

Dej

RedDog

Ok, we have enough to start with this. :good:

We'll start with the horribly inglorious and beastly business of two-seater recon and bombing, from Nov 5th 1916.

The allied will be flying for the British forces, 3-Wing RNAS with Sopwith Strutters out of Ochey, Verdun sector.

The axis will be flying the DFW C.V. out of Wasquehal, Flanders sector.

I will subsequently institute a fighter unit for each side and pilots will be transfered to theirs upon request, on the proviso they have flown a minimum of XX hours on two-seaters (surviving character). Once in their fighter unit they will be subject to transfer back to two-seaters upon character death. I believe this little facet will hugely focus the mind upon survival over glory and make for a very realistic and immersive state of mind...survival to get into the fighters, survival to stay in the fighters. Hope that meets with everyone's approval. :)

I've asked Olham if he'd take over command of the German side, at least in the RPG role, and hopefully also the web-site side of it if he's up on DW etc. Talking of which, I'll get the site up and running in time for our launch-date of 5th Nov.

Packing the kit bag as i speak, if i catch the last train i'll be at the docks by morning Sir. Salute.gif

Well, $%$%$%@%%$@$#@@@#$it!, I'll be traveling out of town from 11/8 to 11/13 and then 11/15 to 11/21. Guess I'll have to take leave on those days.

Just got a chance to check in from the road. This sounds like a blast! Count me in: any side, any squad, any machine. Just give me an assignment.

:salute:

Cheers!

Lou