Sign in to follow this  
Polovski

Airco DH5 pics

A few of the DH5 in the new coming add on.

Skins are still being worked on but gives you an idea.

post-7478-12575645644993.jpg

post-7478-12575645698607.jpg

post-7478-12575645733667.jpg

post-7478-12575645783843.jpg

Wow! Check out the detail on that gun.:yikes:

Thanks for the pics Pol!

Crossbones

Very nice Pol

Looks like she has a great forward view

I like the scenery in pic 3 - new updates?

And the choo choo station in pic 4 looks updated too

I've always liked the underlying philosophy embodied in the DH5. ATTACK, ALWAYS ATTACK! The pilot's view is optimized for this, but ain't so good looking back over your shoulder at somebody swooping on your butt. So I intend to fly it that way cool.gif

Good eye Duce. I think it is a bit of a preview of more than the DH5. It all looks loverly to me. Thanks for posting the pics Pol. Very good stuff!

Edited by Rickitycrate

Looks great! These new models seem to be much better and more detailed than some of the planes we have in OFF.

The DH5 was an interesting experiment with that wing configuration, and though it was much better than the horribly obsolete DH2 it replaced in many squadrons, it turned out to be a disappointment compared to new German fighters. But at least the view forward is good.

My god, that is one pig-ugly plane. :grin:

Yes Pol and I are putting a lot more detail into the craft - basically the model detail has been increasing since we started 5 years ago.

We will be putting together a "Gold Pack" that will feature the most prominent WW1 fighters that are deployed in OFF already, in 'hi res'

This 'Gold Pack' is expected to be available 1st/2nd quarter next year but given that its only Pol and I making models there is a proviso: ... all being well.

Cheers

WM

WOW! Outstanding work Winder, Pol, and all. I can't wait to take her up. And Siggi, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the DH5 is love-r-ly. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

WOW! Outstanding work Winder, Pol, and all. I can't wait to take her up. And Siggi, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the DH5 is love-r-ly. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Yeah, but it looks like a Sopwith Camel I made when I was a kid and put the struts on back-to-front shortly before smashing a grapefruit down onto it. :grin:

Edited by Siggi

GASP!

No Camel should suffer such an ignominious demise. Death by grapefruit...breaks my heart it does.

GASP!

No Camel should suffer such an ignominious demise. Death by grapefruit...breaks my heart it does.

It broke mine too, my mother banned me from making models for quite a while after that.

Incredible work as always gentleman. You should be very proud of your continuing efforts to bring the Great War to life. My credit card is ready when you are.

Hellshade

Must admit, I didn't know this fighter yet. When was it's service time?

Interesting forward attitude. If they had placed the pilot right under the wing, he could have

checked forwards and backwards both very well - must have been a problem of balance.

From what I've read the DH5 was given negative stagger to combine the excellent forward view of a pusher scout with the aerodynamic advantages of a tractor scout. They were used on the western front (just double-checked and at least Nos. 24, 32, 21 RFC and 68 Australian used them) late spring through late autumn/early winter 1917. Unfounded "viscious" stall rumors hounded the plane, but flying the plane revealed the stall rumors were exaggerated. It was simple to fly, easy to land, had light controls, dived well, was quick in turns, but it was very stable and the rearward view was poor. It also suffered from engine problems, vibration problems, gun synchronizing problems. However, it's excellent forward view and structural strength suited it for ground attack, although I have not researched how effective it was in this role.

Dan San Abbott posted this on the DH5 in the Aerodrome Forum:

D.H.5 arrived the front in May 1917, No. 24 Squadron were the first equipped followed by No. 32 Sqdn also in May. Then No.41 Sqdn in July. No.68 Sqdn was formed with the D.H.5 and went to France in September 1917. In October 1917 No.64 Sqdn went to France with D.H.5 machines.

Dimensions: Span (both) 25'8"; length, 22'; height, 9'1.5"; chord, 4'6"; gap,5';

stagger,(negative) 2'3"; wheel track, 5'; tail span, 8'4.5"

Engine: 110 hp LeRhône or 110 hp Clerget.

Weights: empty, 1010 lbs; military, 80 lbs; pilot 180 lbs; fuel and oil, 220 lbs; gross weight, 1`492 lbs.

Performance: 3000 ft. 110 mph, 10000' , 102 mph, 15000', 89 mph.

climb; 6500' 6 min 55sec.; 10000', 12min.25 sec.; 15000', 27 min.30 sec..

The D.H.5 performed poorly above 10000 feet, was at it's best in ground attack or at lower altitudes. The D.H.5 was inferior to the Sopwith Pup.

550 D.H.5 machines were ordered and built and served until late 1917. For example, no. 24 Squadron engaged in 205 combats between 25 May 1917 to 25 December 1917 and could only claim 3 German aircraft as destroyed. That is a fairly bad success rate. The D.H.5 continued in service until it was replaced with the S.E.5a in the above squadrons, which I consider the very best Allied aircraft, without exception.

Blue skies,

Dan-San Abbott

Wow Pol, she looks beautiful! Keep up the great work!

I really like the gritty, worn and beaten look to the cockpit. The wood looks like it's been used, the guns aren't fresh from the factory. It looks like a real warbird, and I mean that in the best possible way! :)

Can't wait for the Gold Pack Winder, I'll be the first to line up to buy it, even on a grad student's budget! :grin:

Can't wait for the Gold Pack Winder, I'll be the first to line up to buy it, even on a grad student's budget! :grin:

Nah, I'll have bought it hours before you even see the line forming. :grin:

Guest British_eh

Great stuff Pol and Winder.

The detail is stunning.

Regards,

British_eh