Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Pedals

Hi chap's i'am thinking of getting some pedels, just wondered if the benifits out weigh the costs?

Indispensable in my opinion. Full control vs half control.

Hi chap's i'am thinking of getting some pedels, just wondered if the benifits out weigh the costs?

Yes and stay away from the CH pedals as they suck! Yea they are built like a tank and can take a ton of abuse, but they are clumsy, too close together, and just totally feel unnatural. I have never tried the Saiteks but I hear they are great. I am currently using the logitec g940 system and love it!

My Saiteks do the job brilliantly, but I've had them jam two times which necessitated taking about 30 screws out the bottom to open them up and fix the problem.

Edited by Siggi

I have had the Saiteks since last Christmas and they have operated without a glitch.

Beard

So Beard are you happy? I've had the X52 maybe a week and I like it alot. I have only used it for OFF so far. I'll be keeping an eye open for the pedals and I think that will be my setup for a long time to come.

Edited by Rickitycrate

I've worn out the pinkie switch on mine so it only runs in one level, but heck with all the buttons its no big deal. When setting up the pedals you have to make sure to get them right in the OFF (CFS3) configuration, where you point the game to a function on your stick. If I remember correctly the pedals may have been reversed and the toe brakes sent you into a dive on the right toe and did something to the ailerons with the left toe.

You can set up the sliders and the rotators on the X52 to do different things like elevator trim and such with those same config choices. Even when the pinkie worked I preferred to set the functions using the game. I have had good luck with it in IL2 also. I think it is a great stick but if it starts to act hinky, make sure the USB jack is not plugged in directly next to another one, that caused me some frustration when I first got it.

Beard

I've got a Saitek X-52, qnd haven't had any trouble with it at all. Love it in fact. (No force feedback of course, but the number of buttons to program makes up for it I believe). I also use the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. Now, I HAVE had trouble with the rudder pedals. When I unboxed them, connected them, and fired them up, they worked perfectly, and have had all the time. The problem I have with mine is they do not "adjust". The rotating wheel in the centre of the pedals to adjust the sensitivity wouldn't budge. I thought I was doing something wrong, but they worked, and the tension was OK to me.

I saw a video review on YouTube and the reviewer just moved the wheel with his fingers. I was down on my knees gripping it with all my might, and it wouldn't budge. Ok, so I could have returned it (I'm sure), but it just didn't seem worth it, as I had got used to it now.

Don't get me wrong, I recommend these pedals, as they worked great out of the box, it's just mine don't adjust.

Rickitycrate...want to enlighten us on your button function programme for your X-52?

Burningbeard...what function did you have programmed to your pinky switch that you overused it that much you wore it out?

Edited by Check Six

Thanks for all your replys, it seems you all like the pedels so i will invest in set. Salute.gif

I can't remember what it was, might have been reset to cockpit from exterior view in IL2 (pre OFF days). Anywho, the stick predates my Trac IR, seems like I bought it right after the X45's became unavailable. I really wanted the X45 because I believe it hand the rudder as a rocker on the throttle, which I thought would be superior to a twisty stick, which of course I dont need now because of the rudder pedals.

By the way, I have no trouble with the tension adjuster on the pedals, it turns easily, but it never seemed to make much difference to me.

Beard

I've had CH Pro Pedals for 3 1/2 years now and they're still going strong

They'll slide around on carpeting but a little double sided tape fixes that

Recently got some Simped USB Vario Pro and I must say they are fab, and very quiet and smooth. They had a special offer on too.

Took me a while to realise there's a little push button under the LEDs to change the mode - set to linear mode they are excellent. BTW it's also an actual rudder bar rather than just pedals.

Recently got some Simped USP Vario Pro and I must say they are fab, and very quiet and smooth.  They had a special offer on too.

Took me a while to realise there's a little push button under the LEDs to change the mode - set to linear mode they are excellent.  BTW it's also an actual rudder bar rather than just pedals.

Me to her, get the Simped USB Variopro, they are on sale and shipped ww, payments can be done by Paypal. 

I advice you get pedals, no strange movements during my flight any more, I always hate that rotating JS-handle.  

Here some CH/Saitek stuff, I hope you can use the translator because the last one is in Dutch 

http://www.simhq.com...ology_104a.html

http://www.fsvisions...ent/view/146/9/

For those of you, who don't have the pedals YET

The Human Wrist was never designed for the twisty stick AND the trigger. Careful as you think you are, you're always gonna bank slightly. Right off Target ( it don't take much )

SOLUTION : Use the Spacebar to fire your guns, if you use Force Feedback, you'll still feel the gun pulse in the stick. Your hit % will be noticably higher. Salute.gif

The Japanese Zero had this philosophy

Trigger was operated by the left hand, away from the stick

Sorry I do not know what you mean here, I'm using a Logitech FF-3d PRO but it is still pulsing if I'm using the space bar!!! Should there be a adjustment that I missed!!! 

Proper operation is the pulse, it's just isolation of the muscles for those without pedals. As the operation of the trigger, causes a slight movement of the muscles which would normaly control the ailerons, this small amount is greatly magnified when the muscles that control the 'twisty stick' are already stretched to their limits.

The Human body is a wonderful machine, yes the "twisty stick' works, but it doesn't fit 'perfectly'. It merely does a job.

Yes I know this topic from you a half year ago and I did not have any clue what your mean, but indeed (I'm now using the pedals) fire your guns or move your JS, always had influence on my rudder and before you know I was shot out of the air.   

I tried my driving pedals, they worked but which ever way I tried to assign them they were always the wrong way round. I got them working fine with pacific fighters after some trial and error, shame if I can't get them right with OFF.

I deleted the assignments to the rudder for the joystick and switched to the pedals and I set the rudder axis for the pedals but I got no response when trying to set left and right rudder, when I go to fly right rudder turns left and vice versa

I tried my driving pedals, they worked but which ever way I tried to assign them they were always the wrong way round. I got them working fine with pacific fighters after some trial and error, shame if I can't get them right with OFF.

I found the solution to this in the FAQ question 8, there is a cfs3.xca file in docs and settings, all you need to do is find the yaw value and edit it to either a positive or negative number whichever applies.

Hope everyone is having a great day abd managing to fit some flying in.