Sign in to follow this  
HotNess

shooty bang films

ok...was watching top gun again last night as was on tv for the 37th time since 2010 began,and hugely camp film,but awsom in everyway..however,im not as gobsmacked as when if first came out which is quite normal..but found myself loving the silly mistakes in films,like iron eagle films..where you see f16 take off unloaded,then next its got 63 bombs on it and pilot is wearing a dress,then next itr back to normal, continuaty sucks in alot..like airwolf..love it,but ya see mrage take off,then f-4 hard turn.then airwolf shoots and boom..a jaguar explodes made from wood lol....so odd question..if you could go back and remake this films so there were perfect and everything was 100% correct and real..would you actually enjoy them as much as you did with the cock ups..?...

and which is your fave error ? or total bulls**t part lol ?

xx v xx

As to the cock ups as you so quaintly put it yeah they do make me laugh... Also I wouldn't want them to be overly realistic in the Topgun Iron Eagle etc way as it would take some amusement out of it... The best errors is that in Topgun is the fight at the end when it seems every missile fired comes from the port Sparrow rail I think... but hey its been awhile since I watched it...

remake nah the f ups are what make em fun to watch. as for for favorite mess up the F-4 phantoms as migs in iron eagle 2. ya coulda done a bit more to change em up than paint red stars on emgrin.gif

When I first saw Iron Eagle I was too young to notice or understand most of the mistakes which is one reason why I probably enjoyed it - that is it convinced me that that sort of thing could happen in real life which is what fires imagination in youngsters.

With Iron Eagle 2 - apart from the opening scene and being a bit older I thought it was pretty lame - every boy knew what a MiG-29 looked like, the actors were pathetic - and the tom cruise wanna be couldnt even make it with that Russian bird!!

So to answer your question - it pretty clear that if I notice too many things blatently wrong in a film that's supposed to present a serious realism then of course that spoils things - and can destroy the illusion you are supposed to be in at the cinema.

Well, the thing with the missiles always being fired from the same pylon is because the Navy authorized only one missile to be launched during the filming of the movie... which is why you always see the missile being fired from the same spot. But you would think they would get creative and just mirror the image to make it seem like the missile is being fired from another pylon. Oh well.

It used to really piss me off when Hollywood screwed around with my beloved fighter jets, mainly because my friends would be idiots about it. I'd draw a picture of an F-4, some idiot would say that I'm wrong, that's a MiG-29, because he saw it in such and such movie. GRRR!!!

But now I've learned and when that (still) happens, I just say "Oh, yeah. Sure." Now I really enjoy the corny Hollywood jet fighter movies, I laugh so hard at some of the questionable physics and re-used scenes and such. Don't re-make them properly, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

My favorite moment, from a comedy standpoint, is from Aces: Iron Eagle 3, when the old British guy stands up in his spitfire (while flying) and fires a bazooka at an enemy fighter jet, hitting and destroying it. However, the recoil from the bazooka causes the spit to roll upside down, and the pilot ends up hanging from the canopy while his plane flies on inverted. :rofl:

I've had to stop watching most aviation related movies, because they mostly suck...especially the ones that try to take themselves seriously.

For instance, I was all prepared to watch "Behind Enemy Lines" on TV, and then I watched the opening missile evasion sequence...yea, that was it for me.

Stealth...yea, didn't even consider watching that one.

In fact, most aviation related movies suck as far as at least TRYING to get the details right or at least plausible...and those that do get it right are dull as toast...

And before anyone accuses me of rivet counting...nothing of the sort, just they should at least get the basics plausible...

FC

Edited by FastCargo

WretchFest Maximus. I saw parts of that and turned it off. Now that comedy satire takeoff on TopGun with Sheen I could not stop laughing. Very funny, forgot the name of it though.

For a real movie, and a real actor, see Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command. I've read that got a lot more young guys to sign up. And they did it with bombers. :good: And they did it with some great footage of the air warfare environment that The Sims developers are blind to.

They actually cannot make movies like that anymore. They can't find actors like that anymore.

Damn Lexx...I actually agree with you for once! Also, the satiric movie you are thinking of is Hot Shots. That I laughed my ass off...but it's not a serious movie, so that's okay!

"Roger Chilly Willy Milli Vanilli..."

FC

Same problem I have with medieval/renn (based) movies; they are horriffically inaccurate and I can't watch them anymore. An interesting thing about Top Gun, though, is that they tried to film it realistically at the start. One of the pilots involved (you can see it on the extra disc) said the problem was that the aircraft were at such distances that you could barely tell what plane was doing what, and it didn't look good. They couldn't tell the story and no one would be able to appreciate it because they wouldn't understand it.

Just like if you were watching a movie where the two main characters end up in a sword fight, and the fight ends within three movements of the weapons, most of the combat being subtle movements. No one would want to watch it.

Something most folks don't think about is that although it is so easy to rip on Top Gun, it was revolutionary in its own right. Navy Tomcat and TOPGUN Mongoose driver "Magic" Quist had this to say of the movie (ref. tomcat-sunset.org):

To anyone who dismisses the movie TopGun as theatrics only... I respectfully disagree. IMHO, this movie, all by itself, displayed to the ignorant civilian audience what "air combat" was truly all about from INSIDE the cockpit. IOW, it was GREAT in that respect (despite the complications of "getting it onto film" with other unrealistic range shots, etc. etc., and regarding other "unrealistic" parts we as aircrews often make fun of).

What I mean is this. All other films from John Wayne on to the Air Force film "Iron Eagle" seem to always show a fighter pilot in the midst of multi-plane air combat (!!) simply "looking down at" a radar screen in front of him or then "looking straight ahead" through the front windscreen, with the back of his helmet/head apparently stuck against the headrest, while manipulating flight controls and talking to his wingman casually on the radio. There was ZERO "intensity" displayed (through the camera) of the incredible, personal, intra-cockpit PHYSICAL gyrations and requirements needed in maneuvering a high performance fighter to successfully "not lose sight" of the bad guy(s) and, thereby, "not lose" the engagement (you never win; the other guy always loses).

The movie TOPGUN did NOT do what previous dogfight films did (thanks to Rat Willard and other Navy "consultants"). They ensured that the audience got a glimpse of the violence of air combat from WITHIN the cockpit... IOW, the movie dramatically displayed Maverick, Goose, Viper, and Jester STRUGGLING and TWISTING in their seats to keep sight of, OR gain sight of, bogeys (REAL world stuff) under horrendous "g" and 6 o'clock visibility limitations under "rock and roll" conditions, with VERY realistic "grunting and groaning" accompaniment... all the while making sure other fighter or wingman or ground collision does not occur!

IMO, the movie was absolutely SPECTACULAR in presenting to the uneducated layman what air combat is really like from WITHIN the cockpit. IOW, one is NOT calmly sitting there listening to a rock song on tape with Lou Gossich staring straight ahead while engaging bogies in the "dogfights" of the movie Iron Eagle; as if "radar eyes" were always protecting your 6 o'clock. IOW, one is STUGGLING and STRAINING -- and grunting and groaning -- to twist COMPLETELY around in your ejection seat, under incredible "g" loads, with a violently shaking jet, to literally look back through your vertical stabilizer(s) in order to keep sight of a tiny bogey which has just zipped by you close aboard at about 1,000 mph closure rate to keep sight of it in order to fight it. If you lose sight, you will probably lose the fight because the bogey will come around to shoot you. The movie TOPGUN presented this realistic scenerio EXTREMELY well!!

"Magic" goes on to talk about how the "hit the breaks" maneuver is a real maneuver, known as a "pitch-pulse" done at 325kts, and one which relies wholy on airflow over the control surfaces (the plane will pitch no matter what the throttle settings are) to about 60-degrees nose-up. Usually it is done in early familiarization hops with trainee Tomcat pilots; the problem is that it can be countered with a high yo-yo, and the F-14 will be out of energy at the end of it, so if the opposing pilot reacts quickly enough, you'd be pretty much killing yourself, and at 325kts, you have more options available (i.e. it's more of a "gee-whiz" maneuver, like the cobra).

EDIT: So to your original question, I don't think Top Gun would have worked if it were filmed realistically (as stated earlier, they even tried to) and if it were remade, very few people would be able to appreciate it, and it wouldn't look very good on camera.

Edited by Caesar

see,ive never been one to actually watch top gun for the flight bits,top gun to me is very corny due to acting ,you have great a great cast,and it wouldnt be top gun without em,and thatnk god that other dude turned it down and tom got the part,but as much as people all started to love the f-14 and think ohhh im gonna join the navy,from a woman point of view it was more,oh my god just bed each other,..especially where ice man does the whole snapping jaw,air bite bit to mav..it had the total opposite affect of officer n gentleman where it made every woman want a navy dude..iron eagle series are just pure fantastic for what they do,lets face it a kid n his mates nick a plane and single handly kick ass of some made up arab country...as much as it a huge flag flyer for hell yeh usa can do it,its also the whole how easy is it to nick a plane,but there all done tongue on cheek with attepmt at serious...same with other vietnam one ic ant think of..you know it,jake graffton..also wings of the apache,which i adore..memphis belle did it a bit better reality wise,but never gives you that buzz you get from others,lets face it..if you watch iron eagle,you wanna jump on a sim n fly f-16,top gun you wann do an f-14,wings of apache..you fire up EECH...and i think any film that after watching it makes you wanna do something is cool...howver,people that does not go for horror film..do not watch em and then chop people up...its not good !!..well not all the time x

xx v xx

Damn Lexx...I actually agree with you for once! Also, the satiric movie you are thinking of is Hot Shots. That I laughed my ass off...but it's not a serious movie, so that's okay!

"Roger Chilly Willy Milli Vanilli..."

FC

Hot shots is probably the best "Modern air combat" movie. I mean, it is as (un)believable as any Top-Gun, Iron Eagle... The real difference is this one is supposed to be that ludicrous. And of course , it's a lot more fun.

"More enemy planes coming, and there is a big one heading south":rofl:

(Yes, I know those weren't exactly the words, but I saw the movie in spanish, so I can't remember it in english)

Edited by shotdown

Hot Shots...yea that's it. Much well done.

HotNess:

people all started to love the f-14 and think ohhh im gonna join the navy...

So many guys told me "I was gonna fly Tomcats in the navy but I messed up my knees." I swear Hi School football was long ago invented by the NAVY to perform the initial weed-out of fighter applicants.

Caeser::

One of the pilots involved (you can see it on the extra disc) said the problem was that the aircraft were at such distances that you could barely tell...

Yea, they shoulda used B-36. Hillbilly.gif

Hot shots is probably the best "Modern air combat" movie. I mean, it is as (un)believable as any Top-Gun, Iron Eagle... The real difference is this one is supposed to be that ludicrous. And of course , it's a lot more fun.

"More enemy planes coming, and there is a big one heading south"rofl.gif

(Yes, I know those weren't exactly the words, but I saw the movie in spanish, so I can't remember it in english)

Another quote I've enjoyed (I saw the movie in French and don't know the exact words in English):

"I've got a bandit up my arse!!!"

"Don't open, I'm coming."

In my humble opinion...any film that has Aircraft / Pilots as it's theme..is generally bad!

I've got all those films on DVD...both Hot Shots, both Airplanes, all 3 Naked Guns...they're just excellent comedies.

When it comes to aviation, though, the only films I own are Top Gun, Final Countdown (borderline plane film), Blue Thunder (you have to love helo vs F-16s), and Tora Tora Tora. They are good enough to watch despite their many flaws.

Widow dont forget that the old 1950's films about the War some aren't too bad e.g.

Dambusters

Battle of Britain

for example okay the latter yes the Me-109's and Heinkels have Merlin motors... in my mind its the films depicting Modern combat jets that do that...

Dambusters

Battle of Britain

Yea both wonderful films. Another *might* be The Blue Max but I don't recall much of it. Saw it many SF moons back.

lessee ... Midway I thought was really nice. Dave recently mentioned Gathering Of Eagles which I might need to czech out. Never seen it, I don't think.

Still the most bizzare has to be a movie based on the KC-135 and nuked up B-52 collision off Spain. weird Weird WEIRD but I was enthralled by it if I remember. Can't find any reference to it. Maybe I dreamed it haha.