Sign in to follow this  
Dave

1948 War for Independence Campaign

Historically it is wrong to start the campaign on September 1948, at the middle of the WOI.

The IAF was founded on 31 may 1948, and this is a better starting point.

In the history of the Israeli WOI, a significant period is called "the battle of the ten days".

During this period, on 9-18 of July 1948, until the second remission, the IAF had fly 164 sorties, and drop 58 tons of bombs (fifth of them by the 3 B-17 bombers).

The Egyptians have lost one spitfire, and the Syrians have lost one Harvard at this period, while the IAF have lost two S-199 attacking targets at Egypt.

It is true that there were very few air clashes at this time, but there was a very intensive strike and cas activity by both sides.

That is true but we have TK's campaign engine to work with. That is the key there. I know its wrong to start it there but its what the campaign engine can do. So re think that for a sec and you will see the problem.

That is true but we have TK's campaign engine to work with. That is the key there. I know its wrong to start it there but its what the campaign engine can do. So re think that for a sec and you will see the problem.

We can overcome this problem by splinting the war (WOI), into few sub-campaigns as actually did happen (the remissions). Each sub-camp can have its own oob and it's own nature of air activity.

So, instead of one boring long war with similar sorties, we can get few campaigns, different in nature.

If you think this idea is too complicated to implement, we can do 2 sub-camps alone using your date (sept 1948) to separate between them.

guyran

some other thoughts, not campaign wise, but GrungeObjects ... given the almost TOTAL lack of Blue side Air Defenses, I'd reccomend the 3.7 inch Britsh AAA gun (Geo's), and the Bofors 40. Don't know who did the bofors, but it's in several of my WW2 terrains. A quick email/PM to Geo should secure the usege of the 3.7. Simply because them Quad 50s just don't cut it...

and the maybe the KS-30 for the Red side, that was a pretty common weapon, and of cousre the M-1939 (I mean, they're in MY install....)

wrench

kevin stein

We can overcome this problem by splinting the war (WOI), into few sub-campaigns as actually did happen (the remissions). Each sub-camp can have its own oob and it's own nature of air activity.

So, instead of one boring long war with similar sorties, we can get few campaigns, different in nature.

If you think this idea is too complicated to implement, we can do 2 sub-camps alone using your date (sept 1948) to separate between them.

guyran

Ran

I like that idea however, I just dont have that kind of time AND we need a butt load of aircraft made to just do some of the sub campaigns. We might just have to go with the KISS method and see what happens.

Wrench

As far as AA units, there is nothing in the download section we can use? I think we will end up with a lot of "winging it" to make ground war work.

Well I built the campaign. Its an initial one and its working. I got the 2 P-51's, Bozzy and Zulu as their own little unit. Added Monty's S-199 WIP, what a kick to fly. I have added the Spits too which make up the bulk of the IAF at the time. One unit of Harvards make up the "attack" units of the IAF (SA)

I gave the EAF their Spits and the Syrians a Harvard unit.

Hi guys

Now this looks interesting. I had a quick look at some of my early skins (EAF C-47, EAF and SyAF Harvards, IAF Dragon Rapide, Bonaza and B-17) and they could do with some work. Most were done before I knew how to work in layers.

I'm happy to contribute anything I can to the project. I'm yours to command - well request really.

Lloyd

dave: most of the WW2 era AA units, in particular the bofors and 3.7 inch are in terrain paks .. look at Gepard's BoB terrain, his original Midway, it's got them (the 3.7 is called "TommyFlak"), the original EAW Euro WW2 has got them as well ... all readily avialable if one knows where to look.

Bofors were used by pretty much EVERYBODY at one time or another, that were associated with 'Western Powers', well into the 1960s

wrench

kevin stein

Hi Dave, Kevin & Friends.

Out of action for a while, now I can only watch Your progress in making these new campaigns ...

I saw almost every plane in the makings :good: ... maybe except this http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_207.shtml

Starting from the very good EAF silver skin should be quite easy to make a good Iraqi Fury!

As stated in the linked doc they took an active part in 1948 air war ....

Do You think to include it?

Paul :drinks:

My mistake.

The EAF didn't have the Harvard or the C-47 until after al-Naqbah.

Paul

I like that idea. Maybe we can get JB5 to share his templates for the Fury.

Lloyd

You interested in the Iraqi Fury's?

JB5

Think we could use your templates for the Fury?

Ran

I like that idea however, I just dont have that kind of time AND we need a butt load of aircraft made to just do some of the sub campaigns. We might just have to go with the KISS method and see what happens.

No problem Dave, you can always do an update later, after first release.

Anyway, we must keep in mind that the 1948 WOI was not one continues campaign, like the Suez-Crisis, 6DW, YKW or even Lebanon. Actually it was a series of short term operations, with remissions in between.

BTW

Sorry for my non-fluent English, but what the hell (oops...) is the 'KISS method'?

Ok

An Iraqi Fury from me.

Wilco

That is perfect!

Lloyd

Thank you sir.

Ran

Its the Keep It Simple and Stupid method. My just have to do that portion of the campaign where things are more intersting starting on the date I proposed.

I love the enthusiasm of this thread! Keep up the good work guys.

Sorry for the delay guys. I'll try and post some info on the squadrons' movements tonight when I get home.

This info is about the squadrons for which we have aircraft available in-game (including DAT planes). Some of these squadrons also operated other types which we don't have available, so I haven't mentioned them. The info covers periods outside those which you've proposed for the campaign Dave, but it's here if you need it.

Air service:

10 Nov 1947 - 13 Dec 1947 Lydda: Tiger Moth, Dragon Rapide

13 Dec 1947 - 26 May 1948 Sde Dov: Tiger Moth, Dragon Rapide

13 Dec 1947 - 26 May 1948 Yavneel: Dragon Rapide, Bonanza

13 Dec 1947 - 26 May 1948 Nir'am\Dorot: C-47

Air Service became A (Aleph) Tel Aviv Sqn

27 Dec 1947 - Late June 1948 Sde Dov: Tiger Moth, Dragon Rapide

A Sqn then became 1 Sqn:

Late June 1948 - 21 June 1949 Sde Dov: Dragon Rapide, Bonanza

A Flight (became part of 103 Sqn):

1 May 1948 - 26 May 1948 Ekron: C-47

26 May 1948 - 10 June 1948: Ramat David C-47

B Flight(became part of 103 Sqn):

July 1958 Ramat David: Beaufighter, Mosquito PR.16

3 Sqn:

5 April 1948 - Late June 1948 Yavneel\Machanayim: Dragon Rapide

Late June 1948 - 21 June 1949 Ramat David: Dragon Rapide

35 Sqn:

Late Nov 1948 - 19 Jan 1949 Ekron: Harvard

69 Sqn:

15 July 1948 - Mid 1949 Ramat David: B-17

101 Sqn:

19 May 1948 - Mid June 1948 Ekron: Avia, Spitfire

Mid June 1948 - End July 1948 Herzliya: Avia, Spitfire

End July 1948 - Late Sept 1948 Ma'abarot: Avia, Spitfire

Late Sept 1948 - 9 Nov 1948 Netanya: Avia, Spitfire, P-51

9 Nov 1948 - 30 May 1949 Qastiuna: Avia, Spitfire, P-51

30 May 1949 - Nov 1955 Ramat David: Spitfire (until early 1951), P-51

103 Sqn:

10 June 1948 - 1 July 1949 Ramat David: C-47, Beaufighter, Mosquito PR.16

1 July 1949 - 1951 Ekron: C-47, Beaufighter, Mosquito PR.16, Hudson

106 Sqn:

December 1948 - 5 May 1949 Ekron: Hudson

Hope that helps.

Edited by allenjb42

Thank you once again Allen.

Hey Monty check this, Your bump mapping is awesome.

Yo Kevin

Lookie what I found.

I'm a jet era fan .....

..... but these planes are fantastic!

The jumo Me-109 by Avia over the top!

:drinks:

That S-199 is fantastic! Pity the bump mapping can't be retrofitted to older aircraft models without the max file (if I read what TK says correctly).

Lloyd, I can't see your Fury?

Are the templates for the Fury still required?

BTW progress on the heavies is slow, domestic issues unfortunately!

JB5

Can bumping be over-done?

That `109 looks like it is made outta styrofoam or something...

:blink:

Edited by Spectre_USA

I've only just started on the Fury and getting the colours right. It looks fun to work on though.

post-2351-12747784786915.jpg

Aaron

Monty said he was going to tone it down some.

hehe that was good one - avia made from styrofoam :-)

Yes I am going to reduce the effect. I did it so strong because

I couldnt see it on my comp and then I realized that my comp

cannot show it. :-)

Monty CZ