Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

The UllyB mega-uberthread

That's interesting. Is this simulated in game for real or it's just your idea and it's just pure chance ?

BTW how did TK simulate this jamming ? Is it hardcoded ?

LCOS and radar-ranging gunsights have been part of the series since the beginning. Here's a concise article on the subject: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_018a.html

The pertinent file that determines what is or is not allowable on aircraft models is (appropriately ) named, the aircraftobject.dll. Its editable counterpart is the aircraftobject.ini. There's a statement in the latter that declares whether or not gun unjam attempts are allowable. There are often statements in the .dll that aren't declared in the .ini file...there may be one there that turns gun jams on, or off.

Edited by Fubar512

Can the campaign made by modders before oct 2008 official patch (SF1 series I mean) be played ? Is there a way around or I just have to stick to the old patches from that time ? For instance I tried to play Iran vs Iraq campaign and it's all....white:) I really would like to play that campaign, it's interesting.

What game are you playing? I think the Iran Iraq terrain requires the desert cat file. If you are playing WOE, WOV, or WOI you are out of luck unless you buy Strike fighters and import the cat file into the Iran terrain.

that terrain is also in serious need to updated to 08 (minimum) standards. It's already 2/3rd retiled, adding the main rivers in Iraq, cities tiling straightened out on some, new coastline near Teheran; unfortunatly, nothing yet has been done on re-targetization. Expected re-release date: 12/21/12

btw, campaigns made for 06 and earlier do NOT work correctly in 08 level games. Not without SUBSTANTIAL rebuilding

We went allllll over that after the 08 patch came out.

wrench

kevin stein

What game are you playing? I think the Iran Iraq terrain requires the desert cat file. If you are playing WOE, WOV, or WOI you are out of luck unless you buy Strike fighters and import the cat file into the Iran terrain.

I have SF1 , too. The game must be playable at that time level.I have all the incremental patches from that time, too. But the main issue is that the graphic is....old among other things...

that terrain is also in serious need to updated to 08 (minimum) standards. It's already 2/3rd retiled, adding the main rivers in Iraq, cities tiling straightened out on some, new coastline near Teheran; unfortunatly, nothing yet has been done on re-targetization. Expected re-release date: 12/21/12

btw, campaigns made for 06 and earlier do NOT work correctly in 08 level games. Not without SUBSTANTIAL rebuilding

We went allllll over that after the 08 patch came out.

wrench

kevin stein

You mean it??? Someone is taking care of that campaign NOW ? That's good news. If so...I'll wait to see it done. Where should I look or ask to follow the work progress for that campaign/terrain ? You ?

LCOS and radar-ranging gunsights have been part of the series since the beginning. Here's a concise article on the subject: http://www.simhq.com...r/air_018a.html

The pertinent file that determines what is or is not allowable on aircraft models is (appropriately ) named, the aircraftobject.dll. Its editable counterpart is the aircraftobject.ini. There's a statement in the latter that declares whether or not gun unjam attempts are allowable. There are often statements in the .dll that aren't declared in the .ini file...there may be one there that turns gun jams on, or off.

I see. Thx for the article. Interesting.

How can a dll file be edited ? I always thought it's in binary written.

I found the solution . It is on this very site.

http://combatace.com.../35346-gun-jam/

For realism the new guns jam feature is kinda cool, but it can also get annoying. Real pilots are forced to deal with it, however us simmers have another option.

There are two steps you need to do to cheat and unjam your guns inflight...

As mentioned above you will need to change the aircraftobject.ini section from AllowUnjamAttempt=FALSE to AllowUnjamAttempt=TRUE.

Now in WOE at least, TK did not add a keybinding to unjam the guns, so you will need to open the woe/controls/Default.ini (Or whatever control INI you are using) and add UNJAM_GUN=* (* can be any unused key you want to assign)

Finally, if you go to the key commands option screen you will lose the "UNJAM_GUN=" statement so you are better off if you right click on Default.ini and click the READ ONLY checkbox. You will need to make the file writeable again if you need to change a keybinding so make sure its correct before you add "UNJAM_GUN=" and make the file read only.

And it works. You have to tape a few times and a message appears that the gun is unjammed and you can fire with it. I , personally bound K for that command.

Edited by UllyB

What should I modify in the gear section of data ini aircraft to get rid of that image of gear sinking into the floor and that balancing up and down ? Some MIG models have this issue.

Would be enough just to compare a stock file which works well and change the data values accordingly ?

adjust rolling radius, spring factor and damping factor

wrench

kevin stein

don't know about the campaign, but I've been working on and off on the terrain for ~2 years. Don't expect anything before the date listed above

wrench

kevin stein

thank you Kevin and... very good link , helpful , thank you also.

don't know about the campaign, but I've been working on and off on the terrain for ~2 years. Don't expect anything before the date listed above

wrench

kevin stein

So you are just fixing the terrain only.....Hmmm...Well it's still good news. I wish I knew how to make a campaign for a terrain and one that works. I failed miserable into implement the attrition campaign into gepard & yours Israel2 ver 2.5 terrain. I guess I can learn only if someone tells me how and whips me in the same time...lol

You know...even if I wasn't able to make Israel2 to work with a campaign , it is still a joy to use it in single missions or when testing some planes I make. It has a realistic light on things and it looks so real from above.It's amazing. I wish I knew do such wonderful things.

I found a nice F-16A green shade canopy glass and I'd like to change my stock canopy glass with this one (WOI).

The Mirage factory F-16A_Blk10-IDF has the f16glass.tga file into its folder. I saw in Objects.CAT (WOI) file that there is a..."generic" canopyglass.tga file. I put the f16glass.tga into f-16 stock folder and renamed it to canopyglass.tga but it didn't work. I looked into F-16A stock cockpit.ini but there is no reference to canopyglass....

What should I do to have that modded canopy glass instead of the stock one for F-16A ? Thank you in advance.

I found a nice F-16A green shade canopy glass and I'd like to change my stock canopy glass with this one (WOI).

The Mirage factory F-16A_Blk10-IDF has the f16glass.tga file into its folder. I saw in Objects.CAT (WOI) file that there is a..."generic" canopyglass.tga file. I put the f16glass.tga into f-16 stock folder and renamed it to canopyglass.tga but it didn't work. I looked into F-16A stock cockpit.ini but there is no reference to canopyglass....

What should I do to have that modded canopy glass instead of the stock one for F-16A ? Thank you in advance.

You need to put the .TGA into skin folder, not main folder :wink:

You need to put the .TGA into skin folder, not main folder :wink:

How should I rename the TGA file to match the F-16A stock planes ? The modded TGA is f16glass.tga. The stock one , I think I saw into CAT file is canopyglass.tga.

If you open the one of the f-16 .lod's with notepad you can search for .tga or search for canopy and find the correct texture name,be careful not to make any changes. Just extract the .lod from the .cat ,search it( notepad you have to use "Find") then just deleat it. you can also find bmp's this way. Then just remane the .tga you want to use and drop in the (not shure) skin or f-16 folder.

OK it Works in the F-16 folder for all the skins for that plane ,Just checked, (I used an A-6 to check.but same thing)

Raven

Edited by RAVEN

If you open the one of the f-16 .lod's with notepad you can search for .tga or search for canopy and find the correct texture name,be careful not to make any changes. Just extract the .lod from the .cat ,search it( notepad you have to use "Find") then just deleat it. you can also find bmp's this way. Then just remane the .tga you want to use and drop in the (not shure) skin or f-16 folder.

OK it Works in the F-16 folder for all the skins for that plane ,Just checked, (I used an A-6 to check.but same thing)

Raven

I extracted F-16A .lod from the CAT file and then I tried to open it with notepad, but it freezes, maybe the file is too big for notepad.I opened it with Wordpad but it's ....binary I think, there is nothing there understandable. Are you sure you can open it with a simple text editor ? Maybe it's a missunderstanding.

Edited by UllyB

LOD, level of detail file it's obviously not a readable file. I don't understand what Raven means by OPEN it with notepad. I'm thinking he is talking about another file and he wrote "lod" instead of what he meant, I can't explain anything else. As for the hexa editor...that's...chinese for me, I'll stay far away from it. I don't know how to work with it.

Maybe someone , eventually who knows will tell where to look for the canopyglass name.

Edited by UllyB

It's real simple.

LODs directly access the textures needed. No other file (other than an OUT file, which the stock models don't have) will tell you the names of the textures the model uses.

However, LOD are in binary, you cannot read them with Notepad or Wordpad. The HEX editors will allow you to read them. Near the end of the LOD files, in the hex editor, you will start seeing names of the various textures the LOD uses. Using a modern hex editor is almost as easy as using any modern word editing program. Just don't try to edit or save anything.

FC

It might be CanopyGlass.tga

I tried that from the first attempt.It won't work.

It's real simple.

LODs directly access the textures needed. No other file (other than an OUT file, which the stock models don't have) will tell you the names of the textures the model uses.

However, LOD are in binary, you cannot read them with Notepad or Wordpad. The HEX editors will allow you to read them. Near the end of the LOD files, in the hex editor, you will start seeing names of the various textures the LOD uses. Using a modern hex editor is almost as easy as using any modern word editing program. Just don't try to edit or save anything.

FC

Thanks , it worked. I was just at the point to give up until I discover how to search with that hexa editor. The name of the texture is GlassGold.tga and it must be put into aircraft folder, not the skin folder.

Thank you all for the help!

Edited by UllyB

You can open a .lod with Notepad,(Big LOD's open slowly Just wait for it) click Edit ,select "Find" Type in what your looking for (Like TGA or BMP or Canopy) Keep clicking till you find what you are looking for. Try IT

Raven

!!! Warning !!! Never try to Edit a .LOD with Notepad. It will !!! KILL IT !!!

Edited by RAVEN