Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

The UllyB mega-uberthread

well,well....It seems that someone made my wish come true...

I was looking for a cockpit suitable for a modern Mirage and I ran into TORNADO IDS one. Well, the avionics of this model EMITS "RWR" sounds when a AIM-7 is chasing you. I was very delighted to discover this.It's exactly what I wanted. With this one on my belt I was able to shot down all four F-4s. And I discovered another trick, if you fly low they hesitate to fire AIM-7, for obvious reasons. Truth is I knew that AIM-7 is not good at low altitude (I read that years ago) but , surprisingly I never remembered that to use it in the game where this issue is so very well simulated.

I thought I should let people know about this avionics which let you know when a semi active radar guided missile is chasing you. Maybe some would like to have this feature.

Edited by UllyB

The answer is, why would you want to.

Modern hex editors are fast, easy to use, and light programs. There is NO advantage in using Wordpad or Notepad...and in fact, it is MORE dangerous to use them vs a free hex editor.

You have a file open in Notepad, Wordpad, and a modern hex editor. If you make NO changes at all to the file you are looking at, and you hit the SAVE button by accident, in Notepad or Wordpad, you have just destroyed that LOD file. In a modern hex editor, no changes have been made to the LOD.

In addition, if later on you want to alter a LOD to use a different texture, you can do that in a modern hex editor. You cannot do that in Notepad or Wordpad.

Do yourself a favor, download and use a modern hex editor instead of Notepad or Wordpad. It will pay off in the long run.

FC

All RWRs in-game simulate the detected emissions from radars on aircraft, ground units, or ships. They do not, and cannot, detect emissions from missiles, whether they be active homing (AIM-54, AIM-120, R-77, etc) or not. Semi-active homing missiles do not emit radar energy, in real life, nor in-game.

Unjam of a modern gun is possible. The GSh-23 had some (i think it were 3, but i'm not sure) cartidges for such task. If the gun jammed, the cartidge was fired and blows out the jam.

Is it possible to see (anytime) how many rounds are left (a tweak in avionics/cockpit or a mod)? It might not be realistic be it would helpful. Just a thought.

In real jets , today is there a counter, an electronic device , something to count the gun rounds or...the pilot aproximates how many are left relaying on his combat "instinct" ?

The stock Mystere IVA and F-16A have gun counters - so it probably is possible - thats probably the place to start.

Thanks, I'll start with the F-16A. But in the meantime if you discover what should be tweaked or add, please let me know. It would save me hours of searching and testing.

Edited by UllyB

All RWRs in-game simulate the detected emissions from radars on aircraft, ground units, or ships. They do not, and cannot, detect emissions from missiles, whether they be active homing (AIM-54, AIM-120, R-77, etc) or not. Semi-active homing missiles do not emit radar energy, in real life, nor in-game.

I understand that. But that tone of RWR was when the missile is fired (as when SAM site shoots at you) and there were four F-4s.(F-4 has semi active AIM-7 sparrow I know) I know to distinct between when enemy has a lock (radar lock). a simple constant beep and when the missile is fired and coming right at you warning. You can check out that Tornado IDS for yourself. Who did it , did something to work that trick on semi active radar missile.

If I won't forget, next time I'll make a movie with Fraps to show it.

Edited by UllyB

I tried the Mirage Factory IAI Kfir F21.It' nice but it has an issue, a sort of speak. When you turn with the plane it simply bounces as if were no real G there and then it bounces , in a quarter of circle, back, losing all the speed in the process, of course. So if you are near ground doing that you are certanly DEAD. I saw in a few occasions what happened to the AI. They entered into the ground when they tried to dogfight near ground level. I never met such behaviour with a modded plane. I looked into data file and I compared with other planes but I can't figure what could be wrong. Any idea what lines must be modified ? Except this issue the aircraft works well.

Edited by UllyB

In avionics.dll 60/70 unfortunately there is no entry for the quantity of armaments (gun rounds, number of missiles or bombs etc.) so this can't be simply added in avionics.ini file.

This element must be specified in lod cockpit file, I think that is "node" or whatever modders called it. :dntknw:

I found this into F-16A cockpit.ini:

Instrument[060]=SMS_GunRoundCounter

If hadn't seen Artur post, I would've thought that what you need is to add this line into cockpit ini file and find a place on the instrument panels to show it off but...now...I am not so ethusiast as I thought I was...lol

3 ways to do it:

Avionics60, cockpit LOD has drum counters like older car odometers.

Avionics70, cockpit LOD has digital counters.

Avionics70, projected onto HUD.

Only the third method allows you to set up something not set aside in the cockpit LOD.

FC

Only the third method allows you to set up something not set aside in the cockpit LOD.

FC

Ok now I'm confused. :blink: Which entry in avionics70 allows to that?

You're confusing acquisition mode with active missile guidance.

You're confusing acquisition mode with active missile guidance.

OK. Maybe I learn something in the process. I will tell you what I understood and you will tell me if I got it right.

Aqusition mode as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, is when an enemy spots you on the radar and he locks on you.( he picks you from the radar and it "fixes" you there preparing to fire at you, simple put it). Let's say , in our case, he has semiactive radar missiles ,as AIM-7 Sparrow. He first spots me, gets a lock on me and then he fires the missile, steering the aircraft nose towards me because the missile is radar semi active only. The sounds I hear when all this happens should be just HIS lock on me. Again, correct me if I am wrong. So, in other words, as long as the AIM-7 travells towards me I should hear NO (warning missile fired) sounds at all. Right ? I am reffering to the sound when the missile is coming towards me.

If until here I am not wrong , it doesn't come in conflict with what I said about that avionics file tweak does .(add the warning sound as long as the AIM-7 travells towards me)

I stressed already in previous post that I know and understand that this is no realistic.

Now you tell me after I explanined what I understood if I am confusing the acquisition mode with missile guidance.

3 ways to do it:

Avionics60, cockpit LOD has drum counters like older car odometers.

Avionics70, cockpit LOD has digital counters.

FC

Hmmm interesting! So there is a way after all...

Could you be more specific about the third method , please ? I guess you have to get some HUD coordinates right to see the count correctly...

The sounds I hear when all this happens should be just HIS lock on me

Yes, and being that launch platform has launched an SAHM, the AI must maintain lock while the missile guides towards you.

maybe because it needs a totally new flight model? IIRC, it pre-dates the 06 patch....

you're also describing typical speed bleed on deltas.

If you're not an aerodynamic engineer, you have very little chance of figureing it out. Without the proper data tables, it's all guesstimatioins. Shoot, even experienced FM Gurus wrack their brains on it.

wrench

kevin stein

Vipers display the round count on the armament selection panel (the one that shows the hardpoints). Sorta like an MFD, but not really

without rebuilding the cockpit lod (3rd party), fiddling with the cockpit ini displays and such, it probably cant be done.

However, the stock Netz one works just fine.

Just swap pits to point to the Netz, and don't sweat the small s**t.

wrench

kevin stein

maybe because it needs a totally new flight model? IIRC, it pre-dates the 06 patch....

you're also describing typical speed bleed on deltas.

If you're not an aerodynamic engineer, you have very little chance of figureing it out. Without the proper data tables, it's all guesstimatioins. Shoot, even experienced FM Gurus wrack their brains on it.

wrench

kevin stein

I see. Well, in my ignorance I didn't think the issue goes so deep. I thought some figures there in a config file were messed up accidentally.

In other words the problem has to do with the fact that the aircraft is build pre oct2008 patch oooor....with some complex calculation in that aircraft data ini file which gives that strange behavior ? Fact is that I tried that plane long before the WOI appeared but I was a real noob in those times to question myself too much about simulators matters.

Please let me know Kevin if something can be done with this plane. I like the model very much and I thought it would be a real waste if it can't be fixed.

Vipers display the round count on the armament selection panel (the one that shows the hardpoints). Sorta like an MFD, but not really

without rebuilding the cockpit lod (3rd party), fiddling with the cockpit ini displays and such, it probably cant be done.

However, the stock Netz one works just fine.

Just swap pits to point to the Netz, and don't sweat the small s**t.

wrench

kevin stein

Neeeeeee....I don't want that. I want the real thing Kevin ! I want with every cockpit to work;), that's the beauty.

Well...at least it didn't do any harm to try asking. You noticed , too, I bet, all s**tty arcade like "sims" have this feature (gun rounds count) .I was so use to it that when I ran into SF1 series it seemed to me odd not to see it here, too.

Anyway, if someone makes some real progress here, I am interested and please share with us all.

Edited by UllyB

Note what you see in the RWR entry of any avionics.ini file of an aircraft that has an RWR:

TrackSound=RWRTrackSound.wav

LockSound=RWRLockSound.wav

There are only 2 sounds, track and lock. There are no further sounds from the RWR to distinguish what type of weapon is being employed.

FC

Ok now I'm confused. :blink: Which entry in avionics70 allows to that?

Actually, none.

I remembered incorrectly from when I did all the work on the F-15C cockpit improvements. There isn't a way to put the rounds remaining counter in the HUD.

FC

I tried a Mirage Factory MIG-23MS and I noticed in data ini file that it supports twin (2 IR missiles) setting. I changed in loadout.ini (quantity=2) , I looked into weapon station but...I can't make it appear with twin IRM. I didn't notice any limitation concerning the length, diameter etc. Here's the section:

[LeftFuselageStation]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=3

StationGroupID=2

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-0.40,0.55,-1.16

AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=760.0

AllowedWeaponClass=IRM,2IR,RP,BOMB,2BR

AttachmentType=WP,SOVIET

ModelNodeName=AAM_Pylon_Left

PylonMass=108.9

PylonDragArea=0.03

LaunchRailNodeName=LeftRail01

[RightFuselageStation]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=4

StationGroupID=2

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=0.40,0.55,-1.16

AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=760.0

AllowedWeaponClass=IRM,BOMB,RP,2BR,2IR

AttachmentType=WP,SOVIET

ModelNodeName=AAM_Pylon_Right

PylonMass=108.9

PylonDragArea=0.03

LaunchRailNodeName=RightRail01

Any idea why ? Do I need to add another line(rack type) into loadout.ini statement beside quantity and station number ?

Edited by UllyB