Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

The UllyB mega-uberthread

Just a tip. Take a look into the data.ini of any aircraft born with a gun. then add the gun you want the very same way. It's all done in the data.ini

Just a tip. Take a look into the data.ini of any aircraft born with a gun. then add the gun you want the very same way. It's all done in the data.ini

It doesn't work that way my friend. If it would I hadn't been here. It doesn't work to add the gun as system part into aircraft NOSE system and copy the gun file just like that :). If you do all these...the gun effect will be there but the gun (graphic model)...not;). It would be just like you fire with an invisible gun. The gun MODEL it's not there on the aircraft. You may try all these if you don't believe me. I did that before coming here asking for help.

Edited by UllyB

It doesn't work that way my friend. If it would I hadn't been here. It doesn't work to add the gun as system part into aircraft NOSE system and copy the gun file just like that :). If you do all these...the gun effect will be there but the gun (graphic model)...not;). It would be just like you fire with an invisible gun. The gun MODEL it's not there on the aircraft. You may try all these if you don't believe me. I did that before coming here asking for help.

Then you need to be more precise when you ask the initial question my friend. The only way you can add a visible gun is to add it in either the original MAX file or as a fake pilot.

Well of course the model wont be there. It has to be built into the plane during its creation. So all you can do it added to the data.ini.

Yup, just like the 'virtual' arrestor hooks on several aircraft that don't have the actual, physical node existing on the LOD (FJ-3M Fury comes right to mind)

wrench

kevin stein

Then you need to be more precise when you ask the initial question my friend. The only way you can add a visible gun is to add it in either the original MAX file or as a fake pilot.

I DID in my FIRST post, here it is:

If I wanna add a gun to a plane that doesn't have it, should the aircraft model include the gun model, too or is there another way to add it ? I noticed that copying the files needed into data.ini file won't do.(config gun itself and the system entry into the plane nose)

However, what is that a fake pilot (I know what the words mean) ? And how do you build "it"?

"MAX" is some kind of editor where you build a model ?

Edited by UllyB

If I wanna add a gun to a plane that doesn't have it, should the aircraft model include the gun model, too or is there another way to add it ? I noticed that copying the files needed into data.ini file won't do.(config gun itself and the system entry into the plane nose)

The way this sentence is written, all the folks interpreted the question as the gun is what was wanted to be added, not the gun model.

Now that the confusion is cleared up...the answer is no. You must have a 3d model created to add 3d parts to an aircraft. This can be done via the FakePilot method. Add the model via FakePilot, then add the gun entry in the data.ini.

3d models can be created via any 3d program, but at some point must be brought into a version of 3ds MAX (Google it) and then exported via the ThirdWire 3d exporter. The main stumbling block to this is the expense of 3ds MAX.

For more information on the 'FakePilot' method of adding parts:

http://combatace.com/topic/34273-fakepilot-addon-for-pilot-method-of-addon-parts/

FC

The way this sentence is written, all the folks interpreted the question as the gun is what was wanted to be added, not the gun model.

Now that the confusion is cleared up...the answer is no. You must have a 3d model created to add 3d parts to an aircraft. This can be done via the FakePilot method. Add the model via FakePilot, then add the gun entry in the data.ini.

3d models can be created via any 3d program, but at some point must be brought into a version of 3ds MAX (Google it) and then exported via the ThirdWire 3d exporter. The main stumbling block to this is the expense of 3ds MAX.

http://combatace.com...of-addon-parts/

FC

Thank you for the direction. I'll take a look.

http://combatace.com/topic/34273-fakepilot-addon-for-pilot-method-of-addon-parts/

FC

Why thank you, FC......

Heh heh heh.....

img00184.JPG

TK evidently never removed the GP9.lod, when he updated the .ini files to prevent it from be selected as a loadout for the '21PMF. It's still in the latest SF-2 cat files, so it would be reasonable to assume that it's also in WOI.

Edited by Fubar512

You must have a 3d model created to add 3d parts to an aircraft. This can be done via the FakePilot method. Add the model via FakePilot, then add the gun entry in the data.ini.

http://combatace.com...of-addon-parts/

FC

I manage to get the 3ds MAX. What now ?:)..You say I need the 3D model of that aircraft I want to add gun to, right ? Where can I get the aircraft model ? I guess beeing a property of third wire, they are the only one who have it, right? Or my supposition is wrong ?

• Dislike 1

Yes that's right. But if you know how the gun looks like. You can make the gun only and attach it via the fake pilot method.

Do either one of you people actually DO any research??? I mean, seriously, you're both so far off the mark....

The 21PF/PFV never had an internal gun. They may have used the GP-9 pod, as so brilliantly shown by Fubar above -nice catch btw!!-, and maybe then only on rare occassions (Indian AF Type 70-somethings come to mind right off). Just extract the data inis for those 2, if you don't believe me. They're both in the object.cat for WoV/WoE, and ObjectData002.cat for SF2 (full-4 merged)

Nor did any the Foxbats. As pure missile-armed interceptor, the VVS didn't think they'd be needed. Foxhounds, OTH, did. Don't get them confused.

wrench

kevin stein

Do either one of you people actually DO any research??? I mean, seriously, you're both so far off the mark....

The 21PF/PFV never had an internal gun. They may have used the GP-9 pod, as so brilliantly shown by Fubar above -nice catch btw!!-, and maybe then only on rare occassions (Indian AF Type 70-somethings come to mind right off). Just extract the data inis for those 2, if you don't believe me. They're both in the object.cat for WoV/WoE, and ObjectData002.cat for SF2 (full-4 merged)

Nor did any the Foxbats. As pure missile-armed interceptor, the VVS didn't think they'd be needed. Foxhounds, OTH, did. Don't get them confused.

wrench

kevin stein

Kevin,

I KNOW and I am sure that THEY know that MIG-21PF and MIG-25PD Foxbat E ...never had a gun and they were not designed to have one. This is not the issue here;). I already stated that I want to ADD a gun to those fighter which obvious , in game, don't have a gun. Ok ? But your idea of a gun pod is brilliant and would save us the trouble, ? I have the august 2008 weapon pack. Does it have that GP-9 pod ?

Edited by UllyB

I found the GP-9 gunpod. The MIG-21S has it in download section. THANK YOU ALL FOR HELP!! I couldn't have done it without you.

Is there anything to be done to get rid of that annoying "cannon jammed"( when the dogfight becomes more interesting) ? I saw somewhere in the past an unjamming command in a config file.Did it work or was not referring to gun jamming ? It really pisses me off when the cannon is jamming, really! I hate that. I tried to fire short burst to avoid jamming but no luck. Any help appreciated.

First Eagles had a unjam command - not sure if that's actually in SF1 though - might be worth looking.

If not shorten your guns even more - any try changing gun groups if your jet allows also.

Unlike WW1 aircraft, where you could reach out and operate the charging handle, anything (call it WW2) and up you can't. Once they're jammed; they're jammed. B & C Mustangs had a real problem with that, due to mounthing the MGs at an angle (as opposed the D, where they were mounted straight)

Post-WW2, 50s, 60s, etc, revolver-type cannon (Cruds, Scooters, etc) WILL jam. Rotarys (Vulcan) don't usually.

There in no 'unjam' command in 1stGen SF/Wo* or SF2. A quick look at you /Controls/Customize will confirm that.

Try short, controlled bursts, as every pilot was taught to do. (and marines hunting Aliens :lol: )

wrench

kevin stein

(and marines hunting Aliens :lol: )

wrench

kevin stein

What no Harsh language... tsk tsk...

I recommend you to point your nose a little bit in front of your target (Of course I mean more than you would normally do<-This has a name, but I don't remember it) and once you have him stop pulling on the stick and let out a burst. (Guns jam a lot less at low Gs)

Unfortunatly I dont have time to hunt for it just now, however if you search for info regarding the Typhoon's gun (it is particularly prone to jams) you should find the info your looking for. Some bright spark found a way to add the command from FE into the rest of the TW games.

As for revolver cannons jamming, they do however in the real world there are systems to unjam the guns, using a compressed gas if I remember corectly.

Craig

I recommend you to point your nose a little bit in front of your target (Of course I mean more than you would normally do<-This has a name, but I don't remember it) and once you have him stop pulling on the stick and let out a burst. (Guns jam a lot less at low Gs)

That's interesting. Is this simulated in game for real or it's just your idea and it's just pure chance ?

BTW how did TK simulate this jamming ? Is it hardcoded ?

Information about gun jams in the F-8 Crusader during Vietnam.

The worst problem with the cannons was for several reasons they tended to jam in air combat. One problem was that the spent casings were retained inside the fuselage, since they might strike the aircraft and cause damage if they were simply discarded, and sometimes the loose casings piled up and jammed the feed exits. A metal finger was added to the feed exits to make sure the casing were thrown to the rear of the bay, and this problem was resolved. A more persistent problem was that the cartridges could be jammed in the cannon feeds by high-gee maneuvers, and in addition such maneuvers could also deplete the pneumatic air supply that drove the feed mechanism. There was never really a fix for these two problems.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avcrus_2.html

FC

Can the campaign made by modders before oct 2008 official patch (SF1 series I mean) be played ? Is there a way around or I just have to stick to the old patches from that time ? For instance I tried to play Iran vs Iraq campaign and it's all....white:) I really would like to play that campaign, it's interesting.

Depends - a lot had changed by Oct2008 - so if anythings not right it needs to be changed in the campaign - so its easier to run the correct version.

The way this should be done is having multiple installs - I still have a few 2006 versions of WOV.

Yes, deflection shooting (ie: leading the target) has always been available. If you're good and/or smart enough, you can calculate the lead in your head.

Just like skeet shooting.

wrench

kevin stein