Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT The First Snow of Winter

Tyneside has about 4" this morning, son was hoping for a day off school!...no chance pal!

Oh the weather outside is frightening...

Old Chap make the most of it as its all you will see this year... here in Sunny Vienna the weather forecasters aresaying we will get Snow starting Saturday and it might just might stop by the following saturday... now thats going to be fun... wheres me skis...

In my little corner of the frozen midwest it is 5 degrees, (-15 to my Celsius friends), with wind rattling the windows in my old farm house, and a layer of ice on everything including the foot of snow on the ground. It will be a slow trip over the river and through the woods when to Grandmother's house we go today. The coffee always tastes sweeter on mornings like this.

Could do without snow at the moment. My eldest daughter is about to make me a grandfather and we need to drive from Kent to Warrington in a hurry in the next few days.

As of this morning, no snow in my corner of the Midwest just yet but we're expecting it any day now. Snow isn't all fun and games but all in all I'm happy to live somewhere where we have all four seasons. I always say that lazy people can't live in a winter climate. No matter how lazy you are you're still going to have to bring out the shovel during winter and do some old fashioned laboring. Also, having a winter makes one appreciate the other three seasons all the more.

As of this morning, no snow in my corner of the Midwest just yet but we're expecting it any day now. Snow isn't all fun and games but all in all I'm happy to live somewhere where we have all four seasons. I always say that lazy people can't live in a winter climate. No matter how lazy you are you're still going to have to bring out the shovel during winter and do some old fashioned laboring. Also, having a winter makes one appreciate the other three seasons all the more.

We have but two.

Winter, and four months of crappy skiing.

Cheers,

the Shredder

Shredward :grin:

No snow here yet in the deep south of Canada.

The Dogs went out in it today!.... they were running around like escaped Lunatics in it!..haha

This was Newcastle this morning...just the start of a 10 day freeze apparently!..Sadly, the Brits are hopeless at dealing with Snow...there's never enough gritters out, and 2" of it brings London to a complete Standstill!...thank goodness the Russians never invaded in Winter...they would have defeated us in a few days!...lol

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

You sure have wee, little cars over there. They look fun to play with!

VROOM, VROOM!

Ratatat

Hell, plenty of lazy people up north. They just don't shovel! I'm a Yankee; saw it every year.

Today I live in Naples, Florida. Not much south of me in the US except Marco Island, some gators, and the Keys. Having done 30 winters in Madison, Columbus and Chicago I do not miss the four seasons at all--at all. Now I live in eternal summer weather and believe me, I appreciate it every day. "It's another beautiful day in Naples" is the first thing I say to my boys in the morning. I don't need 9 months of crap weather to appreciate warmth; to me that's like parking a car on your foot so you appreciate when they move the car off. Although, I know some people who actually do like the cold, dreary, cloudy days--day after day--of November. Sincerely, to each his own! :drinks:

When I lived up north Summer was the three months everybody lived for (save for the skiers). I did, too. I endured winter because I had no other choice, and I made the best out of it by saying it made me appreciate summer ( :grin: ), which is what everybody couldn't wait for. I've been in Florida now for 8 years--96 months of consecutive summer weather. To enjoy 96 months of summer weather up north (which in this example is June, July, August, as you could have frosts/freezes in May and September and there are often large temperature fluctuations) would take 32 years, with the summer weather eeked out in 3 month increments between 9 months of crap weather. Screw that.

I know eternal summer isn't for everyone (many mistakenly think it's mega hot here, like Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City--lived in all three and they're way hotter than Naples) but IMO the other three seasons can go *$ themselves.

Edit: BTW, 84F/28C here today. :clapping:

Edited by JFM

This was Newcastle this morning...just the start of a 10 day freeze apparently!..Sadly, the Brits are hopeless at dealing with Snow...there's never enough gritters out, and 2" of it brings London to a complete Standstill!...thank goodness the Russians never invaded in Winter...they would have defeated us in a few days!...lol

Actually it's easier to stop them in winter. :grin:

Our ancestors should never have left Africa. And the craziest of them migrated all the way to the Arctic areas. Stupid buggers...

You sure have wee, little cars over there. They look fun to play with!

VROOM, VROOM!

Ratatat

Yes, we have one for each foot.

Yes, we have one for each foot.

We also have steering wheels!...sadly lacking in American Cars :)

Widowmaker: The Dogs went out in it today!.... they were running around like escaped Lunatics in it!

Yeah, I remember my German sheep dog "Barry" - he used to look at the first snow as if he wanted to say:

"Hey! Do you others see that?! Someone replaced our world with a white one, while we were sleeping!

Do we like it? Do we like this - yes, we doooooo!!!!"

And of he ran, trying to plough his nose through the snow in full gallop. It was so cute to watch.

Widowmaker: ...thank goodness the Russians never invaded in Winter...they would have defeated us in a few days!...lol

Baldric: "Oi didn't know that the Russians invaded us?! So they invaded us in summer then?? Oi must have been on holidays, when that happened..."

Ratatat: You sure have wee, little cars over there. They look fun to play with!

We also have big ones, but we only take them out, when we want to impress our neighbours! :qt:

We know how valuable the smallest spot of a parking space is, old chap!

Edited by Olham

Actually, I really like small, sporty cars. Owned two of them. But as the family grows, so does the size of the bus! So instead of a small, coupe I now drive a 4-door sedan. But it's a sporty 4-door sedan, darnnit! :grin:

ZOOM, ZOOM!

Ratatat

What a difference a year makes.

This time last year, we'd already been shut down with -16 degree temperatures which later became -19 in the same cold spell, with 3 ft of snow in December and Jan. We were effectively shut down for 6 months.

I never thought I say I liked the mud, wind and rain, but this year, I'm loving it. Long may it continue.

Hope I'm not tempting fate to say it, but don't think this will be a severe winter. Forget what the forecasts say, nature knows best. Where I live, this year I've noticed a distinct lack of berries on trees for wildlife. I know it's an old wives tale, but if we were in for another bad winter, nature would have provided more for it's critters.

The berries typically remain bitter so the birds leave them alone. They sweeten up after the first frost and get scoffed up pretty quick. This year, there aren't many berries anywhere, so fill up your bird tables people, it might be a mild winter ahead but the poor little mites are going to be hungry.

You're a good man, Flyby, and I wish the birds a mild winter too.

Last one was pretty hard here for them; lots of snow.

My mum got a big bird house, and I installed it in her garden. We put all sorts

of bird food in it, and the little fellers gratefully used it.

I always get real soft, when I see their little footprints in the snow on a cold winter morning,

thinking about them living out there with only the hope for next spring.

But then I also say: hey, they may be small, but so much tougher than we are - little Vikings. :grin:

Edited by Olham

We have some rather soul-less neighbours, who have concrete patio for a Garden...and cd's hanging all over the place to scare the birds away from their 'perfect' garden!...they must hate me!...my Garden looks like the petrified forest...but it's a haven for Birds, Mammals, Amphibians..and even the odd Reptile! (when we let our Tortoise out for a wander) :grin:

Sounds like a quiet battle between Concrete & Biosphere! :grin:

I take postion: I'm on your side.

Now give a weapon. What about that rotten soft apple?

It's snowed twice here in New England with the first storm causing widespread damage and power-outages. My sister lost power for more than a week and my brother and father stayed with me for 4 days. The weight of the snow/ice coupled with the fact that there were still leaves on the trees made for a disastrous combination. Then maybe 2" of snow the day before Thanksgiving. It's going to be high 50's today though with sunshine which is balmy for this time of year. :good:

Edited by Shiloh

Could do without snow at the moment. My eldest daughter is about to make me a grandfather and we need to drive from Kent to Warrington in a hurry in the next few days.

Good luck with that! We of course all expect cigars :drinks:

We have but two.

Winter, and four months of crappy skiing.

In Lousy Anna we're like the Maya in having 2 traditional calendars that don't mesh together very well or exactly match the movements of the solar system. Unlike the Maya, both of ours are roughly based on the solar year--we don't much care what the moon's doing. Individual natives here each use 1 calendar or the other and converting between them is very inexact. Thus, it's rather difficult to arrange schedules for future events, which is no doubt why Lousy Anna's always at the bottom of all national metrics of progress and development.

The oldest calendar, dating back to colonial days, has been much-modified over time. Thus, it contains a plethora of seasons, most of which overlap to a greater or lesser extent. This overlap actually helps make it easier to specify a date certain because you have 2 points of reference. It begins in what the civilized world calls Autumn and goes, in approximate chronological order, as follows:

Football Season

Deer Season (usually futher specified as Bow, Blackpowder, and Rifle Seasons)

Duck Season

Mardi Gras

Tornado Season

Crayfish Season

Baseball Season

Hurricane Season

The newer calendar only dates back to the end of the Litle Ice Age and is more commonly used by 1st-generation immigrants exiled here from anywhere else in the world. This one is much easier to learn but therefore lacks the precision of the original calendar. It's like this:

Summer

It's STILL Summer

DAMMIT IT'S STILL FRIGGIN' SUMMER!!

Cool Pissy Rain

I know eternal summer isn't for everyone (many mistakenly think it's mega hot here, like Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City--lived in all three and they're way hotter than Naples) but IMO the other three seasons can go *{:content:}amp;# themselves.

Edit: BTW, 84F/28C here today. :clapping:

Naples, eh? Lehigh here, bud. Not far north of you at all. As far as the other three seasons are concerned, I don't mind spring or fall. In fact I'm very much enjoying the pleasantly cool weather we have been having lately, however if I have to give up spring and fall to get rid of winter - no problem! Actually come to think of it, winter is great as long as it stays in Skyrim! ha.

Hellshade

Summer

It's STILL Summer

DAMMIT IT'S STILL FRIGGIN' SUMMER!!

Cool Pissy Rain

The weather is rarely ever right, is it? :cool:

It's bright and sunny here on the south coast of Massachusetts, if a bit crisp. Perfect New England Indian Summer.