Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Final F-111C flights today.

Of the 21 remaining Pigs, 4 will become static display aircraft and the remaining aircraft will be scrapped.

It's been a good (re: long) run for them in the RAAF. So long, farewell! :drinks: It's a shame one of it's legacies will be the victims of the reseal/deseal saga. Still, was an awesome aircraft to see fly!

ABC Article

Video from the The World Today (ABC)

No more Varking around in the weeds then... sorry for the bad pun its that time precoffee and bad jokes are abounding...

Saw Vark's round the UK on a couple of occasions US ones though... another old timer gets to retire gracefully...

how can a plane be in the air force for nearly 40 years and never fire a single shot in combat?

the aussies operated in both golf wars...

<S>

The aussie pilots of the new "super bugs" say that the F/A-18F's flies better, but lack the F-111's firepower.

Edited by Riley64

The aussie pilots of the new "super bugs" say that the F/A-18F's flies better, but lack the F-111's firepower.

And Range...

Bye , Vark ! the last remanescent of something of the tomcat flying today :salute:

Bye Varkies, thanks for a great time and many fantastic encounters,:good:

Hou doe,

Derk

When you say that they never fired a shot in combat, do you mean specifically the RAAF or Varks in general? Ther have been F-111's in combat, Vietnam and Libya!!!!

Bye Varks!

When you say that they never fired a shot in combat, do you mean specifically the RAAF or Varks in general? Ther have been F-111's in combat, Vietnam and Libya!!!!

RAAF Pigs have never been in combat. They have been deployed around the world (NZ, Malaysia, Red Flag etc) but they haven't flown any in-theatre combat sorties for mostly political & economic reasons. I'm pretty sure the only combat sorties the RAAF has been involved in since Vietnam was Operation Falconer (2003 invasion of Iraq)and even then F/A-18s were sent instead. Were it not for operational costs (something like 140 maintenance hours for ever flight hour for example) F-111s would have been a very decent CAS platform for our troops in Afghanistan or Iraq. Long loiter time, high payload, precision strike ability, etc.

I can remember being woken up in the middle of the night as a kid when I lived at an RAF base in Cyprus, the noise just happened to be a squadron of USAF F111's that had just bombed Tripoli in Libya, they were stopping over for a refuel before leaving, that was 24 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday, that is the one and only time I have seen an F111 in the air in my life, a memorable time!!!

My linkhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/15/newsid_3975000/3975455.stm

Subsiquently the base I live at was attacked by Libya terrorists a few months later

a short history lesson on the F111 in combat...:grin:

Sad... The F-111 was one of my favorite planes when I was a kid.

Could somone fill me in on the crew members and the health issues with the repairing of the fuel cells.

how can a plane be in the air force for nearly 40 years and never fire a single shot in combat?

the aussies operated in both golf wars...

<S>

I could swear I'd seen a video of a Vark dropping a big bomb on a ship suspected of carrying drugs or something...

I believe their F-18s were deployed to the second Iraq War not sure about the 1st. The F-111 was their 1st strike aircraft, home defense.

I could swear I'd seen a video of a Vark dropping a big bomb on a ship suspected of carrying drugs or something...

That was a North Korean freighter that had been caught carrying heroin. The RAN seized it after it ran off course or something like that.

That was a North Korean freighter that had been caught carrying heroin. The RAN seized it after it ran off course or something like that.