Sign in to follow this  
Stary

DX10 postprocess effects -vignette, colour correction

Here are my tweaks of TWPOSTPROCESS.FX shader, that gives more visible* WOP-style vignetting effect, and slight color correction, the screenshot hasn't been modified in any way:

here's the file, drop the Twpostprocess.fx into your modfolder/Flight/

also I included other variants in their respective folders, various "strenghts" (or more correctly fading levels) of vignette effect, also with overexposured curves variant, aswell as another modification that gives somewhat "old film" postprocess as seen here:

This post process effect is available only in Dx10 mode, with effects set to unlimited in options menu. Feel free to experiment.

*the very, very slight screen vignetting is present in SF2 series, I noticed this fact only after TK brought that to my attention

Have fun

Stary

post scriptum:

@Julhelm: I remember you were experimenting on higher bloom for horizont, PM me please, lost the file

Sweet!

Alot can be done with this to actually improve the "eye-candy" it seems.

Hey, very cool....thanks for posting this. I was wondering just the other day (after looking in the CAT files) why more people didn't mess with the FX files. I don't have the know-how, but I'm glad someone else is up to it!

forcing the colour correction variables too high creates conflicts with other shaders used in scene, specially during sunrise, sunset (conflict with ENVSUN.fx I guess)

That exactly is what i was asking you Stary, las time in FB, but would it work if i select high for graphics, or should it work with unlimited setting???

only with effects set at unlimited, high setting doesn't enable this

Does it hit CPU and GPU??? i have an ATI HD-5770, an AMD Phenom 9600 quad @ 2.30GhZ and 4 Gig RAM, runing Win7 pro 32 Bits.

now THAT looks nice, Stary!

...is there any to make it gray and gritty...you know, like the movies??? :grin:

...I JUST went in on working to fix up this Kosovo terrain...I figure that would make it look more realistic.

SidDogg

as far as I tested it doesn't hit GPU or CPU, as it adds nothing, just basically increases already implemented effect

@SidDogg -I wish I knew how to overlay such effect, frankly I have no experience in this area, just learning on my own mistakes

For me I think the slight effect is the best :clapping:

as far as I tested it doesn't hit GPU or CPU, as it adds nothing, just basically increases already implemented effect

@SidDogg -I wish I knew how to overlay such effect, frankly I have no experience in this area, just learning on my own mistakes

if I knew how to edit something like that... I probably do it myself :good:

...but i figure it might be the inverse of the light bloom value, so to speak...

SidDogg

here's very slight vignette with minimal increase of blue:

:good::good:

Like the blue one,and the old film effect!

Thank you

I'll try to achieve either desaturation or increase of contrast, I'd love to have kind of grain filter too

Ok, I've been testing these out and the "old film" one is by far the most WOP-like one. Can't say I care much for the blue tint - brown or green is definitely the way to go as far as general color correction goes.

Thanks Julhelm, I have few others ready, including some with medium and high contrast, these are quite interesting for screencaps and testing, I think a bit too overdone for regular gaming, still tweaking:

and thanks, I like the "old film" one myself too, might try adding tad more green and contrast to it :good:

The last one looks pretty good I think.

Still yet to try these in game, but very nice work as usual Stary :good:

How does that last one look if you have a greenish (WOP) tint to it instead of the blue? As it is now I get a pronounced night feeling from the blue.

Also, it is too bad the post process isn't terrain specific. Then we could have colder tints for arctic/winter settings and warmer for summer/desert.

Edited by Julhelm

for terrains we can have separate environmentsystems with adjusted sun color and lighting. The one in question looks such, because it's my Formosa repaint which is quite green in a oddly specific way as a terrain without any correction.

Well I have to say these tweaks makes such a huge difference compared to the blandness of the stock effects.

I'm doing some further experiments, I think I'll upload whole set of various versions soon.

here you can see my effort to create "fake" nightvision:

and here's toned down sepia variant:

I'm still trying to achieve just slight desaturation with increased contrast, implemented in shader RGB to XYZ color convertion is a hit and miss work

Nightvision!!! Oh now i am getting exited :heat:

Edit: Imagine if one could put a key to activate that effect or not ingame. That would be awesome!

Edited by xclusiv8

Should seriously pass it on to TK...

I'd love to have option to activate it with a key, would be nice addition for modern night ops