How could i miss this? New IL2 game and apparently it will only be released for the PC so no console port this time around :good:

Edited by xclusiv8

It was renamed from "Storm of War" and has been on the radar for a long time.

News for me :grin: I was not aware of Storm of War. Looks nice.

And who knows..It may be released sometime before the new Millenium!

been following this one for qute some time now... I know they (Oleg and team) have some issues with 1C and Ubi, and had to rename it to Cliffs of... but I really don't like the new title. C'mon! IL2 whatever and not a single Shturmovik in it?

And as to today they have yet to release a single picture from complete D11 build, with all the features, I'm sooo boored with the "another alpha running on Ivan's ten years old system unadequate preview" updates.

I have been tracking this game since it was supposed to come out in 2006!!!! There are so many rumors about it. Some say it is more realistic than IL-2 1946, and some say it's gash for realism. You can believe what you want, but since I'm a huge IL-2 fan I'm going to buy it regardless. Apparently Oleg, the game creator said his PC was not powerful enough to run the game! :blink: I just hope it won't be a CPU hog like IL-2 and FSX were! Lets just hope that it will be released in the next 10 years or so!

liamp51

IL2 was a fairly CPU friendly game. I ran it for years on an old XP custom build with only 500M RAM and a 1.4 Pentium. You dial your graphics back to medium, and really they aren't that much different from the highest settings.

~Stingray

I concur that calling it Il-2 when there are ZERO Russian planes in it is the height of stupidity. SoW was much better even though I wasn't really a fan of that either.

Calling it Cliffs of Dover instead of BoB is fine, it conveys a similar if less accurate meaning.

I just hope it won't be a CPU hog like IL-2 and FSX were!

liamp51

Actually il-2 was one of the most optimized games ever, I could run it at apsolute max settings years ago on a PC that would be a joke for today's standards.

How can you compare it with FSX is honestly beyond my comprehension lol

Actually il-2 was one of the most optimized games ever, I could run it at apsolute max settings years ago on a PC that would be a joke for today's standards.

How can you compare it with FSX is honestly beyond my comprehension lol

What I meant by that (and I should have said this from the get-go) is that no matter HOW powerful your computer is, IL-2 NEVER runs above 60 FPS. Especially with all the mods for it, it has become almost un-playable for a lot of people. I have my IL-2 modded to infinity, and it is very CPU taxing when run with all those mods which is to be expected. The engine just can't handle modern equipment. IL-2 doesn't even understand a dual-core system, or more than 256MB of RAM! :P Trust me, I know, I've been playing it for 4 years! :P

I don't care for modded il-2 as that game was never meant to be modded it's not like ThirdWire games. To enable mods people had to hack the game thus no suprise if it's not running smooth anymore as it was never designed for all those things.

I have been playing the game since it came out in 2001(Original IL-2) and went with it for every version ever made including some betas and since 2005 I was online player only and the game always ran VERY smooth and you could scale it with options very well :drinks:

Looks good, but I'm not buying it until I get a new computer (I don't think the one i have right now is enough for any new sim game), and that will take a while. Anyway, after 4-5 years I'm still scrapping the surface of Sturmovik 1946 (no enough time to spare), so I think I'll wait until I have finished at least 1 campaign. I just hope if this becomes a series of several games, We'll see a 1945 (not 1946) game :grin:

Edited by shotdown

I'm sure the plan is to cover all the major theaters and time periods of the war eventually. I don't know if they'll ever go beyond to Korea or not.

It looks like the game can deliver the goods but I'll do what shot down is planning get a new pc.

In fact I just upgraded my CPU from a C2D E8600 @ 3.3GHz to a i7-2600k @ 3.4Ghz. Doesn't look it by that speed stat, but going from dual to quad core along with hyperthreading and an overall faster design means I got a big bump.

I may have to upgrade my 5850 if I find I have to turn down the graphics too much, but I may not.

I'm sure the plan is to cover all the major theaters and time periods of the war eventually. I don't know if they'll ever go beyond to Korea or not.

Korea will come immidiately after Battle of Britain atleast that was the plan as let's call it division #2 of the Storm of War development team started working on Korea parallel with the Battle of Britain scenario. However they had to pull them all on Battle of Britain so they can finish it sooner so I don't know what is planned now and how it's all going.

Several years ago O.Maddox even mentioned Vietnam :grin:

LOL, I think SAMs and radar are beyond what Oleg should be looking at right now! He's our only WWII sim dev right now, so he should focus on that.

Well British radars will be modeled already for Battle of Britain, also planned on nightfighters....so basically ;)

Anyway the guy always thinks in advance when making core engine, who thought we will have carrier ops in il-2 when it first came out?

Well, yes and no. One thing Il-2:PF never had but needed was a LSO. MPS' old 1942: Pacific Air War had the WSO to aid in your landing. Il-2 you just do it yourself like you're landing on an abandoned carrier.

Edited by JediMaster

no dynamic campaign, no dynamic weather, no Dx11 at the release... all I saw on the fan-made cellphone movies is IL2 with higher poly kinda plastic models (but still old type damage modelling), so-so effects (better than stock Il2 anyway) and nice (but not great 2011 release) terrain with funny colours.

I'll buy it out of curiousity and not on release I think -but NOT to "support developer", to have as much fun as this could deliver... in fact the whole "buy this to support developing and further polishing" thing is quite not in place for me. Or in other words "Heys guys! I have super-duper uber extra simulation engine covering state-of-the-art flight dynamics from Wright Flyer to Mars Rover, with Avatar-level 3D graphics, right now all I have is the main screen I can't show you, but please buy this sim so I can add certain features later, will ya?" :grin:

IF there was Mission Editor for WOP, I wouldn't care too much, really.

So...forgive me if I'm wrong....this game was announced in 2006?....and apart from having NO Dynamic Campaign, No Dynamic Weather..and No Support for the latest Hardware...It's IL2 with a Battle of Britain theme?...which has already been done to death by The Modding Guys out there...and we're supposed to PAY for it as well?? :yikes: