Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Phantom tail markings ?

about the colors used on the fin stripe.

I know we have red, yellow and blue, but WHICH one is used on WHAT squadron in the Wing?

Meaning:

1st Sqdn, red?

2nd Sqdn, yellow?

3rd Sqdn, blue?

or what order??

TIA!

wrench

kevin stein

Navy or Airforce? or am I just lost .

Just found this : The operational squadrons of the 36th TFW in 1973 were:

Raven

Edited by RAVEN

Air Force

that's looks pretty much what I'm looking for!!! Thanks Raven!

Now, it's a simple repaint of the fin tga .... and a full wing will soon be done. (seen screenshot thread for sample)

btw, anyone know the mesh name for the RHAW bump on the aft edge of fin? Decals don' seem to want to appear on it

looked at stock decals ini, and the LOD with my handy-dandy hex editor....or is it NOT supposed to be painted?

wrench

kevin stein

Hey Kevin, by instance, is there a chance you can make this one below, the one for Stevie Ritchie, i think either i don`t have it, or i haven`t found it here, it was one of my first scale models 20 years ago and i really love it, i remember it has the green fin but not the lettering there, i ask this just for your consideration.

regards.

Stevie Ritchie F-4D

Edited by FLOGGER23

It really is a bit confusing. :yikes:

Hgbn was working on updating mppd's SF1 USAF F-4 tailcodes mod for SF2 but only got some of it finished. Hgbn asked me if I'd work on finishing it myself since he's busy working on the MiG Alley project. There's a lot of work in mppd's mod and I@m still trying to get my head round it.

Mppd sent me some pics and info also stating that although some F-4s were transferred between squadrons the taifin colours on some weren't changed!

Kevin

There is no set colors actually. It's all based on what the squadron colors are as picked by the unit. If a squadron picked orange as their color then they will get an orange fin stripe. The most common ones are red, yellow and blue but it is not a standard. A prime example would be the 391st FS, "Bold Tigers" their fin flash is orange with tiger stripes.

@ wrench i have been workin on a personal project since afghanistan in 09 to do ALL post vietnam USAF units by using decals to represent the squadrons, tailcodes and fin stripe. by what i have researched while red yellow and blue or green are the common colors they are not the only ones used. a squadron in Hahn 50TFW had a white stripe, the AFRES squadron at Wright Patterson had orange and black chekerboard capped by a black stripe! as to the RHAW bump r/l some painted it some left the tip black, some did their stripe below the RHAW bump! there tended to be a lotta variation.

@wrench and Piecemeal.... keep this in mind when working with Phantoms, a book on modeling the F-4 i have states that there was alot of inconsistencies in painting, marking and how the birds corroded and weathered. this helps the modeler(or modder) in covering any slight inaccuracies.

back @ wrench in my long running project i have been trying to add squadron/wing patches to the intakes but it always blanks the fuselage out. however something that occurs to me is i have had the skin bmp's at 512x512 for a long time now. might it help to boost it to 1024? i even have national insignia painted on skin now reather than decal.

Ritchie's birds and the whole 555th are in the works!

Ritchie's birds and the whole 555th are in the works!

:good: Thanks!!! :grin:

thanks guys!!

GREAT news for the Triple Nickel!!!

wrench

kevin stein

I'd say that worked ....

now, just need to do up a read me, and the tail badges for Stonewood...(just in case someone wants to fly in Europe, you know?)

wrench

kevin stein

for Phantoms at rats ass i would think the tailcodes would be removed for security or it would be Stonewood's as that was a deployment. however the 45th was also stationed in Egypt until the libyan migs were shot down.

as for the rwr bump, please hows that line go in the decal ini( he says drooling all over himself..)

I'd thought about that, too. Orignally based at Alexandria West; what Code? AW? AX?

Made the "ST" for those players that want them on the Germany/Europe map (can't use SW as that's Shaw) for RAF Stonewood, but they're not showing up for some reason. I may have the lettering backwards -- meaning left decals is actually the right side. Sill experimentating. The switch SHOULD be a simple edit of the decals to "name" the other taill/tailr decals (named TailL2, TailR2)

summat like this:

[Decal012]

MeshName=rwr_tail

DecalLevel=1

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F4_SqTailR

Position=-5.05,1.2

Rotation=0.0

Scale=5.25

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal013]

MeshName=rwr_tail

DecalLevel=1

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F4_SqTailL

Position=-5.05,1.2

Rotation=0.0

Scale=5.25

DecalMaxLOD=3

Although, on mine I use Level=0, since it's a dedicated skin, and the squadrons aren't listed in the SquadronList.ini

Should be the same positioning for any other E as well. I'm using the _78, as the book describes the long-barreled version (after the Libyan Mig kill, when Locke's aircraft is being inspected .. the shot-off section of the housing, for the round exploding in the muzzle)

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thank you sir i shall test after dinner. 3 sick kids and i'm makin chicken soup from scratch

it works it works!

now for dancing with the ini's. first prize will be to line up the patterns so that striped or checkered fins will match up. still thank you Wrench and Sundowner

A simple tip for checked or patterned fintip (or finstripe) markings is to use the Reverse=TRUE statement on one side of the fin/rudder.

that can be a problem if the code letters are part of the stripe (like how TK does them - one right, one left)

wrench

kevin stein

@wrench and Piecemeal.... keep this in mind when working with Phantoms, a book on modeling the F-4 i have states that there was alot of inconsistencies in painting, marking and how the birds corroded and weathered. this helps the modeler(or modder) in covering any slight inaccuracies.

Boy how true this is - a project of mine has been all of the F-4D serial numbers and markings for the two squadrons at Udorn in 1972-73. These guys were in transition to dump the tailcodes per new AFM-66 regs, plus the 555th TFS was renamed the 4th TFS with yellow trim colors (the Rivet Haste F-4Es arrived as the 555th TFS), plus Combat Tree airplanes which arrived at the end of 1971/early 72 had leftover markings from Kunsan - lots of markings inconsitancies all around - very interesting period to view photos. In the meantime, trying to maintain airplanes and fly combat missions at the same time...

Edited by mppd

that can be a problem if the code letters are part of the stripe (like how TK does them - one right, one left)

Er, obviously. But I am, of course, on about self-made decals like my RAF 'Thinstrip' decals or those that daddyairplanes is making.

I'd thought about that, too. Orignally based at Alexandria West; what Code? AW? AX?

Made the "ST" for those players that want them on the Germany/Europe map (can't use SW as that's Shaw) for RAF Stonewood,

Going back to this thread

http://combatace.com/topic/55294-somebody-asked-about-this/page__pid__414709#entry414709

The tailcode when the 45th was based in Egypt was AX and SW for Stonewood.

If you want to code any specific aircraft, the 'hangar queen' bird is 80-744, with 'Muddy' Waters as pilot and Ambler Furry as WSO. Locke & Bryant's F-4 is number 512, figure it was an 80 bird too?

Er, obviously. But I am, of course, on about self-made decals like my RAF 'Thinstrip' decals or those that daddyairplanes is making.

well mine is based off of TK's. however i have changed the color to black for the applicable skins, then some gimp editing to create new tailcodes. gray will follow the black codes, and i am working on using the appropriate markings off of some skins(happy hooligans, blue and gold indiana from Fort Wayne) to cover ANG units eventually. sheesh, that readme will read like an actor accepting an Oscar. all the same i use the same rough logic that TK uses for stock, mine just look in a different folder.

"The tailcode when the 45th was based in Egypt was AX and SW for Stonewood."

ooh ooh wheres Dave? told ya so told ya so nah nah:rofl:

Edited by daddyairplanes

wrench

might wanna trim the black area on the nose abit of your Hill 2 skin. ignore the codes, i havent messed with the decal ini since afghanistan in dec 09. waiting to finish Euro 1 and SEA wrap before i do so i can just turn that whole decal folder gray. the gun muzzle on mine should be a bit darker also but mor gunmetal than black

Kevin that is exactly how your nose should be per our telephone conversation. Nice work DA.

Kevin that is exactly how your nose should be per our telephone conversation. Nice work DA.

thank you. unfortuneatly due to focus on my other two skins and prep for mobilizing, it will be ready on the 5th of octember:grin: