Hello modders,

it seems that some Red SAM (SA-2, SA-6, SA-8 families) are configured by default with a ReleaseDelay value of 600. (That makes 10minutes if I'm not mistaken)

I don't pretend to be a SAM expert but that looks to be a bit long to me and I didn't found anything to support such a delay by reading various "serious" sources ala Janes.

So, would you know if is it a long lasting typo or is it truly by design?

Best regards

Probably meant for the upcoming Wings Over Africa.... It's about the air war in the Congo. There were a number of problems involved with the deployment of SAMs in the Congo, such as the crews' tendency to go to sleep, return home without asking, get unexpectedly drunk, disappear into the bush to roger passing young ladies, and so on. Ten minutes sounds like you're looking at one of the better teams!

Edited by ndicki

. . . such as the crews' tendency to go to sleep, return home without asking, get unexpectedly drunk, disappear into the bush to roger passing young ladies, and so on. Ten minutes sounds like you're looking at one of the better teams!

Well that just made me spill my coffee.

Probably meant for the upcoming Wings Over Africa.... It's about the air war in the Congo. There were a number of problems involved with the deployment of SAMs in the Congo, such as the crews' tendency to go to sleep, return home without asking, get unexpectedly drunk, disappear into the bush to roger passing young ladies, and so on. Ten minutes sounds like you're looking at one of the better teams!

:rofl:

Try lowering it to 0 and enjoy what happens after you do... :yikes:

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was from TK about the Tomcat sim!

its also the reloading time. If you set it to 0 the SAM will fire very very fast

Edited by Gepard

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was from TK about the Tomcat sim!

Read it again it´s 600 not 6000! :grin:

BTW, it could be also about Jet Thunder! :blink:

or 'Duke Nukem Forever'!!!!!!

wrench

kevin stein

ReleaseDelay=2Weeks :rofl:

:good::rofl:

Try lowering it to 0 and enjoy what happens after you do... :yikes:

Well, that's what I did of course but I'm still wondering why it was set that way by default, and kept as it in the mods, even if ndicki's explanation is sound. grin.gif

its also the reloading time. If you set it to 0 the SAM will fire very very fast

Isn't the reloading time set in the launcher's data with the "MissileLaunchTime" parameter?

Edited by FrankD

or 'Duke Nukem Forever'!!!!!!

wrench

kevin stein

that will remain in our hearts as "The Vaporware"

But, in the end, is out! Dev complete, and after 12 years, still sounds pretty good.

Well, that's what I did of course but I'm still wondering why it was set that way by default, and kept as it in the mods, even if ndicki's explanation is sound. grin.gif

Perhaps to prevent the misiles from blowing up on the launcher? :grin:

How so Fubar? I can't find any truly good reason to have set a such delay.

I'm just curious though since it's an easy fix.

Once the missile is "released" (at a setting of zero) if it's not tracking at that very instant, it will "fall" and explode on the launcher. The release delay value appears to have has nothing to do with when a missile is launched, simply the absolute maximum delay between firing and launch sequences.

Awesome!

I assume that a comfortable SeekerRange would prevent such issue but it looks like I haven't done my homework, I should have tested it more.

Thanks for this truly enlightening clarification Fubar512.thank_you2.gif

Very amusing thread !!!!:drinks:

Houdoe,

Derk