Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pfunk

Black Sea v2.0

Guest Pfunk

Yes, I can confirm that Blue Cove Studios has begun work on the Black Sea Terrain for SF2. The terrain will extend as far west as the western border of Georgia, as far north as Kharkov, east to Odessa and will feature the northern coastline of Turkey. We will be extending the dimensions of the map and working as hard as we can to get the distances within 90% of true scale.

We very likely will be using a modifed SF2: Israel tileset to get the look of the areas as close as we can. There is a professional photographer working with the team to get the visual details as close as we can, but one thing we are experimenting with is going to be the target list. In light of the aggressive posture of the game AI, we intend to put more space between each target area, but each one will have a larger selection of targets to choose from, including industrial complexes, fuel refineries and POL sites. We hope this will allow AI flights to arrive together with all their ordinance and allow for coordinated attack scenarios to be designed in the new SF2 Mission Editor.

Now, that's not to say the individual targets won't be challenging, each will be well-defended. Our goal is to make an environment much similar to Fighters Anthology or Jane's USAF in terms of target saturation.

Bear in mind, the game avionics were designed for 60s-80s-era fighter aircraft and our terrain will also be geared for that time frame. We welcome input for making the terrain friendly for 5th-gen fighters.

We intend for delivery to take place in Summer 2011, it will be free of charge and available here at CombatACE.

Thanks Pfunk!!!!!!!!!! LOve that first terrain you did for it.

Yes, I can confirm that Blue Cove Studios has begun work on the Black Sea Terrain for SF2. The terrain will extend as far west as the western border of Georgia, as far north as Kharkov, east to Odessa and will feature the northern coastline of Turkey. We will be extending the dimensions of the map and working as hard as we can to get the distances within 90% of true scale.

We very likely will be using a modifed SF2: Israel tileset to get the look of the areas as close as we can. There is a professional photographer working with the team to get the visual details as close as we can, but one thing we are experimenting with is going to be the target list. In light of the aggressive posture of the game AI, we intend to put more space between each target area, but each one will have a larger selection of targets to choose from, including industrial complexes, fuel refineries and POL sites. We hope this will allow AI flights to arrive together with all their ordinance and allow for coordinated attack scenarios to be designed in the new SF2 Mission Editor.

Now, that's not to say the individual targets won't be challenging, each will be well-defended. Our goal is to make an environment much similar to Fighters Anthology or Jane's USAF in terms of target saturation.

Bear in mind, the game avionics were designed for 60s-80s-era fighter aircraft and our terrain will also be geared for that time frame. We welcome input for making the terrain friendly for 5th-gen fighters.

We intend for delivery to take place in Summer 2011, it will be free of charge and available here at CombatACE.

Shouldn't matter as we use the same target set for GermanyCE... but good to hear though! :good:

Guest Pfunk

Eric,

There are so many new and neat targets and factories being made now and we're going to incorporate this new material into it. We're doing some dirt-painting to create new industrial and military sites.

This is a first-run of an experiment on how to make terrains. Will it work? Will it catch on? Hell, I don't know, but we're going to give it a shot. We welcome all input on what the users want.

We know you want Soviet and NATO naval aviation, you want challenging targets and a good selection on what to do while you're in the terrain. Let us know what else you want.

pfunk

Julhelm has a download with some "new" factories and the like in the downloads section and Sundowner and wingwiner also released objects too :good:

Perfect for some Janes USNF reminiscing. :clapping:

We very likely will be using a modifed SF2: Israel tileset

"you'll be sorry" if you do!! (not to detract ...I assume 'modified' is the operative word!)

Everything on those tiles is twisted 45 degs, or more, OFF from center, making it nearly impossible to bridge rivers with any accuracy; to say nothing of cardinal point orientation of any target objects (NOT TOD objects -which are even more difficult to place). I made the mistake of choosing that tile set for MidWest USA ... and it's a nightmare!

OTH, it's good to hear a new version of Black Sea is in the works!!!

wrench

kevin stein

Great to hear that Pfunk! :drinks:

I loved it in Gen1 and I´m sure i´ll do it in Gen 2 too!

good news! :ok:

Great news

But i Will just make a criticism (hope it Will be taken as positive one)

We must keep In mind the fact, That if thirdwire's maps are 60% scale it's probably due to the fact That We have no air refuelling In the sim

By the way, the fuel management maybe very harsh on 90 and 100% scale maps

But no mistake, i Will download and enjoy this map when it Will be out

Is he from poland ? :grin:

well, man, i really did like the first black sea terrain and i can't wait to V2 !

I'll go for 90% to 100% scale maps fine :good:

That's great news, I installed BlackSea v.1.0 terrain only once, and never removed it since that day :grin:

Guest Pfunk

"you'll be sorry" if you do!! (not to detract ...I assume 'modified' is the operative word!)

Everything on those tiles is twisted 45 degs, or more, OFF from center, making it nearly impossible to bridge rivers with any accuracy; to say nothing of cardinal point orientation of any target objects (NOT TOD objects -which are even more difficult to place). I made the mistake of choosing that tile set for MidWest USA ... and it's a nightmare!

OTH, it's good to hear a new version of Black Sea is in the works!!!

wrench

kevin stein

Kevin,

OK, we've gone over this as a group and this is something I was concerned with. You're saying that the ME tileset is a solid gold pain in the rear to deal with, right? Thank you! I keep telling people that the Pontic Mountains look surprisingly like Bavaria...only with curry.

I liked the way the original looked, so that may be one thing that already changes. There's already a REALLY well-done effort on a HR GermayCE tileset, that would save a lot of work and development time with only the industrial tiles and oil and gas fields needing to be painted.

What we're experimenting with is making the industrial sites part of a main city's TargetArea instead of trying to make them separate entities. That was one thing that drove me nuts trying to place targets on the original, everything was WAY too close together and TargetAreas often conflicted with each other. We want to cut that down, make the process easier buy reducing the number of TargetAreas and cutting down on clutter. With the addition of the new Mission Editor, there will be less and less attention being paid to campaign making and more time being spent making individual missions.

We already have a tentative height map that we're cleaning up in the studio and I'll be able to post it this evening to give people an idea of the size and scope after I get final approval.

pfunk

Edited by Pfunk

If you look over my recent rebuild of the Iran/Iraq map, you'll see thats what I've been doing (also in Korea, Libya, and a couple forthcoming -MidWest USA, Central America and the Cuba rebuild) etc) Putting the various and sundry factories INTO the cities themselves is far easier; as is adding 'integrel' (sp?) AD units (check out the HAWKs in Teheran)

It eliminates a boatload of issues caused by the overlaps. The only way to fly.

OTH, there ARE several 'standalone' target areas, simply because they AREN't acutally in a city (ie: Baghdad's SAM ring, the Nuclear Research center etc)

It may cause some issues during missions, where you are supposed to 'strike the such-and-such factory', as to now it'sll say "strike the steel mill in Hooterville"

My 'newish' philosophy is: if the thing is in a city, it goes there. If its NOT exacly within the city limits (like an oil refinery, example- Shah-e-ray south of/outside Teheran), it's gets its own. AFTER finishing off targeting the nearby city.

wrench

kevin stein

:no:

Guest Pfunk

He's a she and she's here in Texas! She's done some work for the Corps of Engineers and I happen to be married to her.

Edited by Pfunk

SimHQ and you have to have over 100 posts to download it.

SimHQ and you have to have over 100 posts to download it.

That is ridiculous! :this:

Hey Pfunk.....we have all been looking forward to your upcoming release of WOEMAC. Everybody knows that this is the place to come and get mods for SF, and everybody knows that this is the place for true fans of SF.....don't get me wrong, there are things at SimHQ that I enjoy visiting for, but .....100 posts!!!

Please release it here......where all good mods for the game belong.

Cheers

Romflyer

True..

The mod would've got more exposure if it weren't simhq exclusive.

(Don't have 100posts so I can't comment on the actual work..)

Can't wait to DL it in combatace though.

I hope it gets some combatace exposure, im not going to go simhq just to make 100 posts just to dl this! yikes.gif

I know what's going to happen but I will say that CombatAce does not determine SimHQ policy, nor does SimHQ dictate CombatAce policy. Pfunk is free to make his own decisions (whether we like it or not) and that's final. If you want the terrain, go through the effort to get it, but again, the admins nor moderators here decide what Pfunk does.