Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

A journeys end

Wow. How do you find the strength to start a new career after losing such a great pilot?

:salute:

At least he died like a man facing the enemy rather than running away. We salute you. :salute:

My condolence, Creaghorn - that must be a tough one; he had almost made it.

Damn - you started very early in 1916 and made your way through the three years,

when the war was always getting tougher.

Those 452 missions and 606 hours of combat flying are the most impressive achievement,

although the 41 victories did surely make you a high ranking ace.

You missed only little more than 3 months, and maybe flying the Fokker E.V.

That must feel like a real loss, so short before the war's end.

But maybe also like a relief? The longer I survive, the more does it feel

like a burden; the less relaxed do I feel about the pilot.

Your end was almost "Olham-style" - all or nothing, it seems.

Did you perhaps prefer to end heroic, instead of running from them?

After all escapes I made, I am wondering: you might have even made it over the lines?

Your pilot photo would be quite a pain in every German officer's eyes:

a hairstyle like that - unthinkable in those days!

(Mmuahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!)

If you like, you may send me two or three photos of you, and I make you

a more believeable one. I am quite good at Photoshop.

My condolence, Creaghorn - that must be a tough one; he had almost made it.

Damn - you started very early in 1916 and made your way through the three years,

when the war was always getting tougher.

Those 452 missions and 606 hours of combat flying are the most impressive achievement,

although the 41 victories did surely make you a high ranking ace.

You missed only little more than 3 months, and maybe flying the Fokker E.V.

That must feel like a real loss, so short before the war's end.

But maybe also like a relief? The longer I survive, the more does it feel

like a burden; the less relaxed do I feel about the pilot.

Your end was almost "Olham-style" - all or nothing, it seems.

Did you perhaps prefer to end heroic, instead of running from them?

After all escapes I made, I am wondering: you might have even made it over the lines?

Your pilot photo would be quite a pain in every German officer's eyes:

a hairstyle like that - unthinkable in those days!

(Mmuahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!)

If you like, you may send me two or three photos of you, and I make you

a more believeable one. I am quite good at Photoshop.

thank you all :salute: .

yeah, the fokker would have come mid august.

it is indeed a kind of relief, or more an emptyness. i think i'll try an allied campaign now. maybe even french. will see how far i'll get with them. although i think it's tougher because of beeing many times over enemy lines.

his end was just a bad decision. as simple as it is. since i knew he is in a faster AC he would have caught me sooner or later, so i thought to attack him a last time in the hope to make him evade or dive for the deck, which then would have given me more time to run for my lines. but the plan didn't work out. it would have maybe 50 times before, but as it is with him like with the real ones, everybodies luck runs out at some time. there have been 100 occasions before when his end could have reached. had luck many times.

sounds good with the photos. i agree that the haircut is not quite apropriate :grin: .

although i think that albert ball and werner voss both had rather long hair compared to their mates.

Wow. I can understand your loss. I was flying my 2nd 100 mission hitch in an F-105, got to my 187th mission, milk run on RP 3.......no biggie, got pounced by a 4 ship Mig-17 flight....I hit the deck and went to full burner....got a line of AAA right across my belly from nose to tail. Didnt have time to eject....... I almost cried.

Commiserations Creaghorn. My first pilot lasted a year in real time, but only flew one eighth the number of missions of Oberleutnant Cvjetanovic. That must have been an epic campaign!

sorry for your loss dave :salute: .

some interesting stats i can take out from his victory list (i hate the term "kill". downing an opponent doesn't necessarily mean somebody gets killed).

most victories (11) with the Albatros DII

least (1) with the Roland Walfisch

most productive months april 1917, january 1918 and july 1918 (thanks to his final flight with 4 victories) with each 6 victories.

Victories overall:

7 Sopwith Camel

7 Se5a

6 Fe2b

5 Re8

4 Be2c

4 Spad VII

3 Nieuport 24

3 Brisfit

2 Sopwith Triplane

2 DH2

1 Nieuport 17

1 Sopwith Strutter

Two seaters:

Scouts:

too many scouts and too few two seaters for my taste. IMO it is tougher in BHAH to down two seaters (besides the unarmed be2) than scouts with getting out unharmed, as it was in real. and the two seaters are not even evading a bit. now imagine some circling or evading twoseaters. so hats off to the real aces who went after two seaters and fought scouts only if necessary :salute: .

Now that you've flown so many successful German careers, give a try to the Entente nations. If you choose the British, you can start flying a two-seater in early 1915. That's what I did with my current number one pilot (he's the one that I fly the most seriously) in a BE.2 squadron, and now I'm continuing his career in a Fee squadron, early 1916. It will be very difficult to live as long as your best pilot, as the British fly a lot of patrols deep behind enemy lines.

Now that you've flown so many successful German careers, give a try to the Entente nations. If you choose the British, you can start flying a two-seater in early 1915. That's what I did with my current number one pilot (he's the one that I fly the most seriously) in a BE.2 squadron, and now I'm continuing his career in a Fee squadron, early 1916. It will be very difficult to live as long as your best pilot, as the British fly a lot of patrols deep behind enemy lines.

i'll do and i'm looking forward to sir :drinks:

although i think that albert ball and werner voss both had rather long hair compared to their mates.

Ball certainly had a more generous crop than most.

Collisions eh, that's the way they all go... most of mine anyhow. My commiserations, Creaghorn and you must have lost a few good wingmen over those many years too.

May I suggest a dedicated 'full realism (as far as)' flyer such as yourself would find a challenging home in No. 24 Squadron, RFC. Especially with the new mods, and especially if you turn on 'Lead By Rank'... No. 24 are quite aggressive, they 'attack everything' :grin:

I think the OFF/CA Team ought to acknowledge Cvjetanovic with some recognition of being the longest serving DiD pilot to date, maybe your own special group 'The 600 Plus'

Edited by Dej

Ok seriously we need to put up an OFF Pilot Hall of Fame around here and put Creaghorn's pilot at the top. Incredible achievement and quite a realistic campaign. 41 kills in 3 years and 450 missions is fantastic.

I'll feel pretty sad when my own Casey Joyce punches his ticket. Still chugging along in the middle of Passchendaele, if he makes it to the 100th mission I'll make a little commemorative post on the Reports thread.

Edited by Javito1986

Ok seriously we need to put up an OFF Pilot Hall of Fame around here and put Creaghorn's pilot at the top. Incredible achievement and quite a realistic campaign. 41 kills in 3 years and 450 missions is fantastic.

I'll feel pretty sad when my own Casey Joyce punches his ticket. Still chugging along in the middle of Passchendaele, if he makes it to the 100th mission I'll make a little commemorative post on the Reports thread.

That's an excellent idea! :idea:

Commiserations, Creaghorn. An epic campaign indeed - you should feel proud of this achievement.

Best wishes for your next man! :salute:

Creaghorn, I find the the amount of missions and the flight time you managed with one pilot just staggering. I have never even made it to the 17 hour mark. I am incredibly impressed!

Creaghorn, I salute you Sir, and I drink to the memory of Oberleutnant Cvjetanovic. A truly outstanding achievement in this sim. Best of luck in your next run, and may you live to survive the War.

:salute:

Also, I agree. There should be a Wall of Fame somewhere on our forums to begin posting such accomplishments.

it really is an accomplishment. Living that long in OFF? Good lord, imagine how careful/skillful you have to be. It's so easy to get shot to pieces by enemy fighters you never saw, or bite off more you can chew and be overwhelmed, or suffer a midair, get hit by random flak, take one in the fuel tank on the other side of the line, random engine fires, put your plane into an unrecoverable spin, sheer off a wing, lose a wing for no reason at all... basically there's thousand different ways to die up there and this chap defied them all for three years!

A 21 gun salute for your fallen pilot!*

*Not sure if that is historically accurate, but what the hay! Drinks are on me! :drinks: