Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Brand new DM and FM now ready!

I have to report a possible bug with the FM mod.

I don't know how to call it or how to address it, but with the FM mod on, the aces skins are not showing in my Campaigns!

(at least for my squad)...

Once I disable the mod the aces skins are back...

Any ideas? :dntknw:

I am not sure why several people are reporting that ace skins are not showing up when using my mods. None of my mods do anything to modify the textures or models of the aircraft, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Perhaps there is a file name problem, but that is the only thing I can think of right now.

Some are reporting the ace skins do not show if the FM mods are activated, and others are saying that the ace skins show up fine with the FM mods but the DM mod is causing them not to show??

This sounds like maybe an installation problem with JSGME. If a mod is not installed right, and is then deactivated, sometimes stray files get left around that might muck up your files.

Doesn't the mod manager give an error message if something is not installed correctly?

Everything else seems to be working just fine, but the ace skins are not showing with the FM mods activated. I really have no such computer skills that I could analyze this problem in more detail. But I don't want to try a complete reinstall and lose my pilots, so I'll just keep flying without the FM mods for now.

Hi Guys,Off Checks the validity of craft for online play - all craft are checked to ensure that MP matchup is O.K.Now an FM or DM mod (depending on how severe the mods are) can cause OFF to believe the craft is invalid.If this is the case the default squad craft is used.....I suspect that is what is happening here.HTHWM

This is Winder's reply at my Jasta 37-no aces thread:

http://combatace.com/topic/66351-jasta-37-campaign/

Thanks for the answers HPW! :good:

Looking forward to see what you'll come up with the emergency landings thing...

Having my fingers crossed...

for the aces skins "bug" also, as I now have the FMs disabled and only the DM mod running... :blink:

PS: HW, I did a complete re-install and nothing happened...

Edited by elephant

Sounds like Winder's reply might well be the solution to this problem.

Elephant and Hasse Wind--

Can you give me exact details about what Jasta and most importantly, what airplane you are flying when the ace skins do not show up? Does it happen for every plane or just some?

Olham--

Same request. It looks from your screenie you are flying a DV or DVa. Once Elephant and Hasse Wind report back, try a campaign mission using the version of Alb they are flying and see if you can still see the skins.

Jasta 11, April 1917, flying the Albatros D.III (early). I often have the Red Baron himself taking part in missions, so it's really easy to see when the skins are working and when they are not. Hard to miss that red Albatros!

I am flying with Jasta 2, 8 August 1917, Albatros D.V (later) - but I see the ace skins!

I'm testing Jasta 37, Albatros D.V (later), Sept.'17, (FM mod on = no-aces)

Also tested Jasta 28, Albatros D.III OAW, Aug.'17, (FM mod on = no-aces)

I have a specific thread on that... :dntknw:

I also tried Olham's configuration: FM mods on - DM mod off, again no aces!

:salute:

Edited by elephant

What do you get, if you switch all mods off for one sortie?

What do you mean?

Everything works fine with all mods disabled...

I did a fresh install this morning and tested it, before I enable any mods.

Everything works fine with only the FM mod disabled also...

I don't even have to quit game to see the difference!

I exit the campaign without leaving game, enabe or disable the mod and in my next sortie I have or have not aces skins accordingly...

Simple as that...

Well that clears up everything. Clearly the Aces are too scared to fly under the new Damage Model. :grin:

Hellshade

lowering the value for the break command would probably result in the fuel tank flying out and the plane running out of gasoline. If already on fire, it would then drift slowly down into the dirt, making the problem worse, I;m afraid.

Not sure I understand why that would be worse, but I could be missing something. We want flamers to NOT continue flying so I am thinking that having the plane run out of gas and crash be an improvement?

I have made another test.

I activated ONLY the Ultimate Damage Mod in JSGME.

The ace skins were still visible for me again.

Not sure I understand why that would be worse, but I could be missing something. We want flamers to NOT continue flying so I am thinking that having the plane run out of gas and crash be an improvement?

It's the part about the fuel tank flying out of the plane that isn't terribly realistic. Same thing when it happens with the engine. I just can't imagine that ever really happened so I'm not sure for the life of me why it got put in there. That's one thing in particular that always breaks immersion for me. Fires? Sure. Explosions? Ok. Wing tearing off? Quite possible. Engine or fuel tank flying up out of the plane? Gotta go with a 'no' on that one. Just a personal opinion though.

Hellshade

It's the part about the fuel tank flying out of the plane that isn't terribly realistic. Same thing when it happens with the engine. I just can't imagine that ever really happened so I'm not sure for the life of me why it got put in there. That's one thing in particular that always breaks immersion for me. Fires? Sure. Explosions? Ok. Wing tearing off? Quite possible. Engine or fuel tank flying up out of the plane? Gotta go with a 'no' on that one. Just a personal opinion though.

Hellshade

Agree strongly on that. Engines flying off I'm fairly sure is legacy CFS3 behaviour, along with other silly-looking stuff like broken-off wings sailing up into the air, which I don't recall seeing in OFF. I remember seeing both happen with monotonous regularity in the host sim. I recall F4F Wildcat pilot Butch O'Hare being quoted as commenting on how the engines jumped out of G4M Bettys he shot down during his famous defence of USS Lexington under 50 cal strikes but there's a photo of one of his victims nosing down into the sea, taken from Lady Lex presumably, which seems to show both engines intact and I never heard or saw of it elsewhere, except a sequence of a B17 disintegrating where one or more torn-off engines sort of corkscrew away and down, quite unlike what happens in CFS3.

The flamers could perhaps be coded like this:

when the sim creates "aircraft is burning", it also creates "tank leaking out within X seconds",

were the"X" stands for a (rather short) time.

Guys there are reasons why we modded the DM the way we did:

1) P1/2 DM was deemed by users to be too hard...

2) Flamers - by careful adjustment of settings we were able to avoid the hardcoded flying flamers...

IMO I think the only thing that needs strengthening in P3 DM is the control cables - so HPW maybe you could look at that as the main thrust of the mod?

In the meantime wrt the validity checks I did post here:

http://combatace.com...gn/page__st__20

Finally P4 is, in so many respects, a new ballgame...watch this space as soon we will start to announce some features...

WM

I'm all for making the control cables virtually impossible to hit. Maybe 1% chance? The odds of a bullet hitting a cable would seem slim.

Hellshade

The flamers could perhaps be coded like this:

when the sim creates "aircraft is burning", it also creates "tank leaking out within X seconds",

were the"X" stands for a (rather short) time.

That sounds like it might work. I can easily insert a "fx_fuelleak_large" command immediately after the "fx_engine_fire_" command to prevent flamers from flying on indefinitely. Once they run out of fuel, of course, they will be without power and will glide into the ground. I can also see if inserting an "fx_explosion_med" or "large" just after the fire will cause the plane to go out of control.

Guys there are reasons why we modded the DM the way we did:

1) P1/2 DM was deemed by users to be too hard...

2) Flamers - by careful adjustment of settings we were able to avoid the hardcoded flying flamers...

IMO I think the only thing that needs strengthening in P3 DM is the control cables - so HPW maybe you could look at that as the main thrust of the mod?

In the meantime wrt the validity checks I did post here:

http://combatace.com...gn/page__st__20

Finally P4 is, in so many respects, a new ballgame...watch this space as soon we will start to announce some features...

WM

Dear Winder,

Ooh, ah, really looking forward to the announcement of the new features. That must mean that P4 is not all that far away! Maybe I will find a nice DVD box with a picture of a Aviatak under the Xmas tree?

Regarding my damage mod: Please do not rule it out too quickly. It actually isn't all that much harder than any of my previous mods, and it is not that much harder than the OFF DM. It does tend to reward more accurate shooting and favors hits to the pilot, oil and coolant reservoirs, and engine over the massing of shots until a wing is sawed off approach. I think Hellshade can back me up on this.

In particular, I would ask you to consider raising the hit points to the engine while at the same time lowering the threshold values, like I have done. This, in my opinion, is the number one change to the DM that makes dogfights much more interesting and intense. A few minor hits to the engine should not cripple an aircraft like it does in the unmodded version. The same principle applies to the main wings: raise the hit points and lower the threshold values so the wings break off at roughly the same rate as in the stock model--but before they do, the aircraft still retains most (not all) of its manueverability. To avoid planes that are too hard to shoot down for the average player, you can do the same thing to the elevators, wing-tips, rudders, etc., but maybe not so much as in my current DM.

Of course, if you are interested, I would be more than happy to create a customized DM to submit to you for possible inclusion in P4. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss this further.

Regarding the cable hits: I've had some luck reducing the hit probability to about 20% while lowering the hit points to about 8. This results in less of a chance of a hit, but a good chance of making the aircraft more difficult to control if it is hit.

Flamers: It is an issue, but still happens pretty rarely with the damage mod. I'm fairly sure I can improve it so it is even less of a problem (see above post).

I think it would be great if HPW's DM improvements could be included in P4. Maybe it would be possible to have several DM options available in the workshop, so that it could be adjusted by the player, depending on how much of a challenge he or she is looking for?

I will say that HPW is right in that his changes make the fights last longer and works to reduce the players kill rate a bit, while doing a very good job of avoiding the "flying tank" syndrome. If he can fix the flying funeral pyres, that would be a big plus as the default OFF:BH&H was programmed to avoid the issue, so it would be the best of both worlds there. I'd love to see the cable hit chance reduced significantly more, personally. I can't imagine cables being hit by bullets is 20%! One out of every 5 bullets hits as cable? It just doesn't seem likely. One out of 100 or maybe 1 out of 80 perhaps, but that is just my opinion. Reducing that hit chance will further increase the likelihood of the AI putting up a good quality fight for an even longer period of time. I can see myself coming home with 1 or 2 kills per mission tops, if I'm lucky.

That said, and being a huge proponent of HPWs Ultimate Damage Model and Flight Models, I must also say that while I'd like to see Winder and crew trying out the Mod to see how they feel it impacts the experience, I also have a lot of faith that OBD Software probably have some significant tricks up their sleeves regarding P4. FM / DM and AI will probably be completely overhauled. My guess is that whatever they come up with be awesome, but just as great is the fact that HPW will still be able to tinker away to his blessed little hearts delight once he has it for awhile and make an alternate FM / DM for P4 just like he has done for P3. I see it as a win / win for the community.

Hellshade

Not being a big fan of mods and not here to criticize. I have installed the damage mod and have to say that I do like it.

It has helped getting the kill count per mission down about 25- 30% for me. Instead of downing 3,4,or5 planes per mission it is down to 2 to 3 max and the odd time 1 if my wing-men are not one eyed retards.

There was a bonus offered to me with the mod, my hit percentage has gone up from an average of 36-38% to an average over 10 missions using the mod to 44%. So it does seem to force you to shoot more accurately and have more patience doing so.