Centurion-1

What ALL-NEW terrain would you like to see?

What ALL-NEW terrain would you like to see?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following would you like to see in SF2 as an all new terrain, either by TK or modder effort?

• Angola, SW Africa (SAAF-Angola/Cuba)
    • Peru/Ecuador, South America (Alto-Cenepa war)
    • Scandinavia, parts of, Northern Europe (Cold war gone hot)
    • Yugoslavia (Civil war/NATO-op)
    • Other (please specify)

Ah Baltika pardon my ignorance, I actually didnt realize Finland was covered already when posting this. I'm not exactly fond of duplicating efforts, but is there perhaps anything i can help with?

For me it's either Angola or Equador/Peru to take a shot at, if I can figure out TE. I have done a bunch of terrain work for Arma2, for example, but the workflow is quite different here..

Angola please!! Migs against Mirage and Bucaneers, low level strikes, manpads, rocket runs...

i'd like to see a South Africa map ... from the Congo to the cape of good hope, from the atlantic to the indian oceans. Basically, the lower half of the continent

and a new, workable WW2 Euro map

Ah Baltika pardon my ignorance, I actually didnt realize Finland was covered already when posting this. I'm not exactly fond of duplicating efforts, but is there perhaps anything i can help with?

Hi Centurion, no worries, nothing for you to apologise for, it's just I know from bitter experience how much time it takes to build up a terrain from scratch - there really is no point in duplicating effort here. . .

Thanks very much for your offer of help. As you are someone with local knowledge, if you have the time, please try out my existing map and let me know any comments, good or bad, you have on it - one or two folks round here have already given me feedback which will find its way into the next release version, so, try it out, let me know what you think - be honest :good:

If you want my vote for a new terrain, I'd say Africa - sounds interesting, and it would be perfect for a full-on

new Merc campaign. Sort of, "The Wild Geese" with aeroplanes :cool:

Any questions you have with TE, fire away, I'll try to answer if I can :salute:

Slainthe!

Baltika

i'd like to see a South Africa map ... from the Congo to the cape of good hope, from the atlantic to the indian oceans. Basically, the lower half of the continent

I´d second that, lots of real, possible and fictional conflicts there! :good:

Guest Pfunk

Balkans.

I'm glad someone brought this up. We need a terrain modder's guild to coordinate efforts.

It looks like the poll is leaning to the Balkans.

And, we have a Scandinavian terrain from SFP1 that's being ported over to SF2...

I'm doing the Black Sea/Caucasus region.

I am already considering my next effort after the Black Sea is done. It looks like a South African scenario is the second-most favored...

What about a Cold War Japan/Russia terrain? No ground war, but lots of air strikes coming from either side, naval aviation, etc. Oh, wait, someone's already mentioned the Kuriles...dadgummit...

And we already have a Persian Gulf scenario in the works along with the Desert Storm mod....

Yeesh. OK, I'll help out with a South Africa/Angola scenario. Should be interesting.

I´d second that, lots of real, possible and fictional conflicts there! :good:

Plus, with SU-30s in Uganda, SU-27s in Angola, Gripens in RSA.... it could be interesting!

Guest Pfunk

Just a quick gander put some interesting scenarios in my head. And the border war lasted quite a few years, almost into the 90s.

Cuito Cuanavale, or if you've ever read Larry Bond's 'Vortex'... US battleship firing at Table Mountain, F-18s bombing Durban, with the Cubans closing in from the north. :)

A lot of the assets are basically done, or require sorta minor tweaks.

or Richard Herman's "Iron Gate"???

Grand Canyon would be fun to fly through.... :cool:

Just a thought, but does anyone remember the Red Sea terrain from F-22 Total Air war?

IIRC it covered Saudi & Yemen on one side of the sea and Egypt, Sudan & Ethiopia on the other.

Other than some tiling (and scaling) issues, there's something wrong with the Southern California map???. Been trying (on and off) to fix some of the tiling issue, but the frakking thing keeps crashing the TE, so it is as it stands

Is there something wrong with DBS aka Bering Straits, or the ASW (Texas/Mexico) terrains, that I don't know about?

as to East Coast (see below) Kfrge sent me the base files a while back ... but it's gonnna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time before it sees the light of day. Needs major retiling, and complete targetization.

the major problem with doing ANY terrain in North America, is there are no enemies. Unless one does a 'Wingman' or 'Red Dawn' type scenario.

wrench

kevin stein

Nothing wrong with any of those maps Bro... although the California map (one of my favorites) could really use some trees/landmark objects upgraded cities. I fly them all, but I'm thinking of a map that would cover the entire eastern seaboard / or the west coast from southern Canada to northern Mexico. Yes the scenario's i have in mind are full on invasion.

I am willing to take a crack at building some landmark objects in 3dsmax... let me see what i can do.

Wondering If anyone ever tried to create a Bush War south African style terrain, I sure did and the results were awful, but of course I have no idea of how properly piant a terrain. Maybe one day someone will create such terrain for Sf.

Guest Pfunk

Three scenarios that we haven't seen come to mind.

1. Turkish-Syrian border.

2. Indian-Chinese border

3. Sea of Japan/Russia/China

Three scenarios that we haven't seen come to mind.

1. Turkish-Syrian border.

2. Indian-Chinese border

3. Sea of Japan/Russia/China

I wouldn't object to any of those. Still prefer somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa, but beggars can't be choosers.

Angola please!! Migs against Mirage and Bucaneers, low level strikes, manpads, rocket runs...

with the already aivailable MIIICZ, camberra and the upcoming buccaneer, it would be great

but we'll need proper mirage IIIEZ, IIIRZ, F1AZ and F1CZ

Guest Pfunk

You can cheat your way into a IIIE by messing around with the Israeli IIICJ '71 that has the Atar 9 with the more efficient petal-style afterburner nozzle.

The others...that's going to take some work. I think an F1C exists, so a new skin would probably get it done.

The new IIICZ is causing the South African terrain to move up in priority, I think.

Guest Pfunk

Changed my vote to South Africa, but not for the bush wars...I cannot believe that no one has mentioned The Sixth Battle by Barrett Tillman.

how about Central America, Mexico to the Canal zone

what, you mean this one?

Edited by Wrench

Guest Pfunk

The only problem I see with doing a southwestern Africa map and including Angola and South Africa in it is that it will need to be HUGE.

yup, still going nuts working on it ... that's why I took a break doing some skins and A/C mods. There were some shots in the Screenshots thread of 'bits and places'

one of the reasons all the Latin American aircraft/skin sets have been showing up. Just need a good P-47D-25 or better for some of the airforces