Bullethead

OT -- Cats

Given the number of dog-related threads here, it's hard to avoid the impression that being a dog person is almost a requirement to play OFF. But even though I have a dog that I like enough not to kill when it comes home after rolling in manure, I'm more of a cat person. I reckon there are others out there, lurking in the bushes at the edge of the campfire. So if you're a cat person, let's see your felines.

gallery_45917_726_53291.jpg

This is my main man, Tempestofelis omnimortifer, aka Hurricane Gustav of "Gus". He's about 3.5 years old and got his name because that storm blew him into my yard as a lost, starving kitten. You'd never know that looking at him today, resplendent in his winter coat. He weighs 15 pounds, most of which is solid muscle from wrestling the dog every day. He's extremely friendly, has an insatiable curiosity, but is head of the household and kills everything he finds in the yard: birds, rodents, snakes, lizards, and bugs. Other cats as well on occasion.

gallery_45917_726_56179.jpg

This is Panthera browningii, Browning (after the gunmaker) or "Brownie" for short. She's about 7.5 years old and about 10 pounds. Despite having been raised from a kitten at my house, she's still as feral as when I plucked her out of a friend's barn. She likes to sleep indoors at night but the rest of the time stays out hunting. She's not friendly, usually has a pissed-off expression, and uses more cursewords than I do. For instance, while she does like being petted, she spits and growls instead of purring. "Talk dirty to me, baby." :lol: Gus and the dog occasionally try to converse or play with her, but she'll have none of it, so most of the time they just ignore her, which apparently is how she likes it.

I'm a cat person. Although now, I don't have any, nor probably will.

I felt quite badly when they died. I don't want to go through that again.

I agree with Von Paulus about Dogs. I had 3 ( the longest lived 9 years) and I cant go through that again. On the other hand, My wife has a cat and as the time slips by I have become very fond of him. Hopefully with 9 lives he should last 15 years. I wonder how long a Goat lives ?

Edited by carrick58

I'm a cat person. Although now, I don't have any, nor probably will.

I felt quite badly when they died. I don't want to go through that again.

I had a Siamese that lived 20 years. She was looking forward to voting in the 2010 election but unfortunately got hit by a car some months before (she was stone deaf by then and didn't hear it coming). I was planning on having the full 3-month mourning period before I even started thinking about getting another cat, but Gus blew in just a couple weeks later.

This is Trine alias Jette alias Katze. Its a real rat killer cat. Its her job. And she is good in her job. :good:

post-3395-0-96482200-1324406613.jpg

post-3395-0-65600200-1324406777.jpg

Edited by Gepard

(Yes, it turns out to be fake, but still...)

Some fine looking cats their gents. :good:

This is my little buddy Charlie. I adopted him from the vet as a surprise for my wife just shortly after her 19-year-old cat died. He was found in a litter of cats outside in the back of an old pickup truck so I don't really know his heritage. He's 6.5 years old and weighs in at a solid 19 lbs. The kids give him a wide berth as he's been known to swipe with claws extended but overall he has a nice spirit with a good touch of wild in him. He's a good hunter although he doesn't do it that much anymore and I once saw him back a bulldog into a corner and stand guard over him until I wrangled him up.

Because he has an ornery side I've had to learn about his body-language and feel I understand him even better as a result. It's amazing how much they communicate with their bodies. He wanders a few times a year and is gone for a week or more but he always comes back.

charliea.png

Edited by Shiloh

This is Trine alias Jette alias Katze. Its a real rat killer cat. Its her job. And she is good in her job. :good:

You can tell that's a dangerous predator. On her back there, she's in a cat's total war fighting stance with all 5 weapons ready to go instead of having to stand on some of them. Watching you closely through slitted eyes, looking all cute and cuddly to lure you in, but armed and ready to take your arm off at the shoulder :cool:.

Well let me introduce mine, my beloved Pushco Jr.

I like Siamese cats. They fight well above their weight, are smarter than most other breeds, and look cool. And Pushco Jr. is going to be a monster when he grows into those big feet.

This is my little buddy Charlie. I adopted him from the vet as a surprise for my wife just shortly after her 19-year-old cat died. He was found in a litter of cats outside in the back of an old pickup truck so I don't really know his heritage. He's 6.5 years old and weighs in at a solid 19 lbs. The kids give him a wide berth as he's been known to swipe with claws extended but overall he has a nice spirit with a good touch of wild in him. He's a good hunter although he doesn't do it that much anymore and I once saw him back a bulldog into a corner and stand guard over him until I wrangled him up.

Because he has an ornery side I've had to learn about his body-language and feel I understand him even better as a result. It's amazing how much they communicate with their bodies. He wanders a few times a year and is gone for a week or more but he always comes back.

Now that's what we call a "wampus cat" around here. Big and mean. He carries his weight well. Had you not said otherwise, I'd have figured him for about 10-12 pounds based on his narrowness.

You do know that cats invented punctuation marks, right? The scribe who 1st started using ! and ? obviously got the idea from reading the body language of his cat's tail.

I lost my cat Jack, about 3 months ago...he was 21 yrs old!...a great little dude too!....never hissed or spat...he was just so laid back!..he was a champ!

I understand how people feel, about losing an animal...and I feel what you feel about not wanting to go through the pain of losing them...but I beg you to reconsider!

There are so many Dogs and Cats in shelters...just praying and hoping for a loving home!...I know it hurts...but the fact you have lost an animal you loved dearly, has made you who you are!...it is selfish to consider ones own feelings, when you may be in a position, to rehome a cat or dog who needs you!...would you not marry the person you love, or have children, merely because you may lose them someday?

Please...reconsider

There are so many Dogs and Cats in shelters...just praying and hoping for a loving home!...I know it hurts...but the fact you have lost an animal you loved dearly, has made you who you are!...it is selfish to consider ones own feelings, when you may be in a position, to rehome a cat or dog who needs you!...would you not marry the person you love, or have children, merely because you may lose them someday?

I've had cats all my life. In fact, I learned to walk by holding the tail of a cat, or so my parents told me. There have only been a few brief intervals when I haven't had at least 1 cat under my roof. Lots of cats over the years, many dying before their time. But the way I see it, cats are all warriors seeking Valhalla. And like all true heroes, they want to be remembered in song as an example to the next generation. So it's up to you to be their scald, telling their stories to new kittens so they'll grow up to be great warriors, too.

I've had cats all my life. In fact, I learned to walk by holding the tail of a cat, or so my parents told me. There have only been a few brief intervals when I haven't had at least 1 cat under my roof. Lots of cats over the years, many dying before their time. But the way I see it, cats are all warriors seeking Valhalla. And like all true heroes, they want to be remembered in song as an example to the next generation. So it's up to you to be their scald, telling their stories to new kittens so they'll grow up to be great warriors, too.

Amen to that!...revered and worshipped throughout the Centuries!...they are great creatures indeed!

I wish my love of animals, would extend to human's...but sadly...it just doesn't

I wish my love of animals, would extend to human's...but sadly...it just doesn't

There are going on 7 billion people in the world. I've traveled the world and have only met a few score who shouldn't have been drowned at birth.

I try to explain about the mice problem, but Fafhrd remains convinced that computers only freeze up because there's no one to keep the keyboard warm.

I try to explain about the mice problem, but Fafhrd remains convinced that computers only freeze up because there's no one to keep the keyboard warm.

I bet he's a Mouser, but he's not Gray :). That was a good series of books which, sadly, are little-known to today's kids.

Gus does the same thing to me. "How dare you look at that monitor instead of me! You are in the presence of a god! Count yourself lucky I haven't already annihilated you. Now where's my dinner?"

Mmuahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!

Good one, Fafhrd! (Who gave you that funny name?)

I'm neither a cat man nor a dog man - I like them both, each for their natural ingredients.

But if I would have an animal living with me, it would probably rather be a cat.

I like it, that they are not so extremely dependant on the leader's ideas and actions.

Cats do more what they just like to do, and don't do so easily, what they don't like to.

Some think because of that, that cats are not so sociable.

That is definitely not true. They need their humans - and not only for feeding them -

and love them a lot. once in every year I have one as a guest, and he is lovely.

Comes in regularly to disturb me in the middle of some flying - just because he needs

a little cuddling. Then, when he had enough to make it for the next hour or so, he strolls

off again. Sometimes I think, he might know, how cuddly he is in his fine fur.

Edited by Olham

You can tell that's a dangerous predator. On her back there, she's in a cat's total war fighting stance with all 5 weapons ready to go instead of having to stand on some of them. Watching you closely through slitted eyes, looking all cute and cuddly to lure you in, but armed and ready to take your arm off at the shoulder :cool:.

Now that's what we call a "wampus cat" around here. Big and mean. He carries his weight well. Had you not said otherwise, I'd have figured him for about 10-12 pounds based on his narrowness.

You do know that cats invented punctuation marks, right? The scribe who 1st started using ! and ? obviously got the idea from reading the body language of his cat's tail.

That picture was from a few years ago and he was probably 13 lbs or so. This is a more recent picture but it's still tough to see him fully. Sometimes I hold him up in the air and stretch his body out and he is incredibly long with barely any fat on him. Sometimes he gets real frisky when we're playing and he comes after me and I'm genuinely scared as he can do some real damage.

I did read that although cats look very approachable when lying on their side, it's when they are at their most dangerous. Like you mentioned, they can use all 4 claws and their mouths to fight. When Charlie stands off against another cat I often see him take that stance.

img0039fw.jpg

I lost my cat Jack, about 3 months ago...he was 21 yrs old!...a great little dude too!....never hissed or spat...he was just so laid back!..he was a champ!

I understand how people feel, about losing an animal...and I feel what you feel about not wanting to go through the pain of losing them...but I beg you to reconsider!

Please...reconsider

Sorry for your loss Widow. I've had to put a number of pets down to old age and it's never easy but it doesn't deter me from adopting again. I figure I can give one animal at a time a 'good life' and I get much in return through loyalty and companionship.

My cat sometimes walks on my keyboard at the most inopportune times but what's one to do? He wants to be close to me so I can't get mad at that. He's a cute kitty that Fafhrd.

I second that . People have been a disappointment to me. There s a few good ones but for the total amount of people it should be more.

I hope this works.

Meet Digit. Named bacause he has an extra one one each paw. He's maaaahhhoooooooosive we got him after our cat Clover whom we had for 13 or 14 yrs or so passed away. He loves a good scrap mainly with me but he always greets me when I get home and loves to rub his face on my goatee. and as you can see in the pic when he is about computer stuff has to stop hahahahapost-73698-0-17036900-1324426853.jpg

Edited by Boomer113

Good one, Fafhrd! (Who gave you that funny name?)

The guy's name was Fritz Lieber. He wrote a series of fantasy books with 2 heroes, Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser. Fahfrd was a Conan-esque barbarian who fell out with his tribe and had to leave them for the big city, where he met the Gray Mouser, a guttersnipe thief. They teamed up and had many adventures together in the ghettos of Lankhmar, the "City of Seven Score Thousand Smokes. Required reading for any FRPG fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

Meet Digit.

His expression seems to say, "If you set a sweaty beer bottle on this coaster by my shoulder, I'll eat your face."

Not to be too hard on dogs, it must be admitted that no dog owner would ever have to face this problem...