von Baur

OT-another rant

Is it the supposed solemnity of the occassion or what? Why do people insist on singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" as if it was a funeral dirge? I've watched its presentation before both conference championship games today and I swear the total time spent had to be 8-10 minutes. Thank God we didn't adopt all four verses Key wrote that night or they'd never get around to the game.

IT'S A SONG OF STRENGTH, DEFIANCE AND PRIDE!!! It says, clearly and proudly, albeit in the form of a question, that the still neophyte United States of America will NOT roll over against even the might of the British Empire. We will stand against all the rockets and bombs (naval artillery) that you can hurl at us. And not only that, but we'll show you right where we are...just look for the Stars-and-Stripes. You want us? Come and get us.

I served nearly ten years in the military (ok, it was the Air Force, but it is a branch of the military :grin: ) and my son is currently in Afghanistan in the Army and it drives me nuts to hear the way people butcher it. And my anger isn't reserved for those who sing it slower than a truck at the top of a 5-mile grade. I'm also also peeved at the people who "personalize" it to the point that the tune is nearly unrecognizeable. If you don't like the original, petition congress to change it. They might. (Of course, even if they did your grandchildren wouldn't live to see it, as slowly as our congress moves.)

If my fierceness about this subject offends anyone, I'm sorry. But I apologize only because this isn't meant to offend. Nor is it meant to indicate any superiority. You all, no matter where you're from, should be as proud of your countries' anthems as I am of mine.

It should be done with gusto by a band or an orchestra that makes you want to shout for your country at a football game. If you haven't heard the USMC Band or the USAF Band play or the Boston Pops play then you are missing out.

This is how it should be done!

I'm also also peeved at the people who "personalize" it to the point that the tune is nearly unrecognizeable.

Right with you again, von Baur. Especially the 'soul' singers who obscure the melody with so many quavers and trills that the Anthem becomes an exercise in vocal chord gymnastics.

Not a big fan of National Anthems myself.... they sound a little too much like that awful Hymmn... "Stand up, Stand up for Jesus"......which is without a shadow of a doubt, the worst song ever written!!

There seems to be a requirement that the music for nat'l anthems be bad. The lyrics vary, but are usually pretty decent. That doesn't matter, though, when the music is crap. Too bad America The Beautiful wasn't picked, because that had good music too.

Shucks, I find the US anthem -- when performed traditionally -- beautiful, haunting, capable of inspiring, emotional, and powerful: often a dangerous combination when a racketeering political.gov uses it for its own ends.

Its a great sounding song.

UK::

Not a big fan of National Anthems myself

They scare the crap out of me

my two favorite renditions of the Star Spangled Banner are 1. Hendrix's at woodstock, and 2. the version(with video) that played on Base theaters from 2001 til around 2006 or 7. with all the branches doin their thing and the B-2 pulling into view towards the end. if you went to a movie on an american military base in the last decade you've prob seen it. but agreed it tends to be drwan out to much lately or totally butchered. guess maybe we should start learning to sing it in schools again!

Billy Connelly... on the National Anthem for England... Love this but I will admit that I do stand up for the National Anthem which some people find strange...

La Marseillaise, reggae version by Serge Gainsbourg, 1979. Quite shocking and controversial at that time. Who'd care today?

IT'S A SONG OF STRENGTH, DEFIANCE AND PRIDE!!! It says, clearly and proudly, albeit in the form of a question, that the still neophyte United States of America will NOT roll over against even the might of the British Empire. We will stand against all the rockets and bombs (naval artillery) that you can hurl at us. And not only that, but we'll show you right where we are...just look for the Stars-and-Stripes. You want us? Come and get us.

I definitely agree, leave the national anthem the way it was written. I cannot stand personalized or "bastardized" versions. And yes, I understand the irony of the fact that the tune that the lyrics are set to is a "bastardized" version of the "The Anacreontic Song" written by John Stafford Smith.

Right you are. All US Naval ships carry a Battle Ensign that is hoisted whenever entering war zones, and sometimes as a courtesy when entering or leaving foreign ports. And as such this flag is much larger than the standard National Ensign that is normally flown. Aboard a Marine Base or Army Post this same flag would be referred to as a Garrison Flag. I would imagine that other nations still do this as flying larger than normal Battle Ensigns or flags started in the days of sail for visibility through the heavy smoke during battle. Hoisting the Battle Ensign has always been seen a means of morale and kind of a poke in the eye or defiance in the face of the enemy.

My two cents worth.

C2

I've got a funny issue regarding Anthems... I'm 3/4's german and 1/4 portuguese although I've been born and lived in Portugal all my life so far... so I know both national anthems, the german and the portuguese. I think the vivacity of the theme lies in the melody, not in the lyrics. I find the german national anthem's melody somewhat melodramatic in itself. It is curious though that the portuguese anthem had had it's melody composed by a german - the lyrics though are totally portuguese. And all portuguese sing it with pride because the melody forces us to sing it in an exhalted way - to be honest, I've never heard it being sung in any "lame" way... And I must say I feel proud for both "my countries" whenever I sing the portuguese Anthem! :clapping: