dtmdragon

Kiwi A-4K Skyhawks to fly again

would have been better if they were flying in their native skies again but we'll put them to good use. any word of Kiwi pilots coming with to fly em?

I think most of them will be happy flying fast jets for the RAAF, RAF or wherever else snapped them up when they got the old 'don't come Monday' letter from Helen Clark

Edited by dtmdragon

Stoked to here they and the Macchi's will be back in the air again!

Always great to hear about planes retaking to the skies, though it is disappointing they won't be flying with the RNZAF.

we should just do what we do with our old Dakotas and stick them up outside Cafes :) Paint them in 'Cookie Time' colours.

Good to know that they will fly again.But,I don't think they would be too useful now against modern threats.

I like this !!! :biggrin:

Good to know that they will fly again.But,I don't think they would be too useful now against modern threats.

It's true we might doubt about it, but after all, History has shown that a senior pilot in an obsolete aircraft could hold sway over his opponent with no experience and flying a new generation plane.

• Like 2

It may not be able to fight a 4th or 5th gen fighter in BVR but, a close in fight it could pose a problem for a 4th or 5th gen plane. Don't forget it's a sheep in wolf's clothing. state of the art war computers and radar from the early 90's, not to mention the timless ability to bring a lot mud moving gear.

It's true we might doubt about it, but after all, History has shown that a senior pilot in an obsolete aircraft could hold sway over his opponent with no experience and flying a new generation plane.

Couldn't have said it better!

They'll likely be flown by top pilots with lots of experience, not trainees. They'll be deadly in the scenarios they use them in, even though they'd be of questionable use in actual combat.

Excellent use for these aircraft. We used to use our A-4's in the aggressor role for DACT. We called them "Mig-4's"

Good to seem these aircraft put to that very good use.

What kind of aircraft are the Kiwi's now flying?

None. Ground or air combat-capable, anyway. P-3s and helos are it AFAIK.

I guess the non-existant Kiwi AF is based on some threat assessment study. Hope nobody wants their islands that is better equipped.

Well, frankly they're out of range of most land-based planes launched from anywhere other than Australia, with whom they have a defense treaty. Really the only threat to them other than subs would be if some regional power got a strong navy down there.

Right now that's not a concern. In 20 years, who knows?

I'm just lookin forward to these babies flying again. Can't wait to see the 1st pics.

What kind of aircraft are the Kiwi's now flying?

None, the A-4s they had are retired as well as the MB339 Squadrons.

Their deal to purchase F-16s in 2000 was denied.

Edited by SkateZilla

Well, frankly they're out of range of most land-based planes launched from anywhere other than Australia, with whom they have a defense treaty. Really the only threat to them other than subs would be if some regional power got a strong navy down there.

Right now that's not a concern. In 20 years, who knows?

We had a lot of fun with this subject last Apri/May in these forums:

http://combatace.com/topic/71554-option-for-rnzafs-new-strike-fighter/

Edited by Derk