Stephen1918

Albatros D.II posted

The trouble with reducing the prop diameter is you actucally loose power the smaller you make the prop diameter. Reduce it small enough and you can not even takeoff.

The best solution is to "fix" the [Nose] section of both Albatros's to the same settings as the stock Albatros D.III, which is:

MinExtentPosition= -0.42, 0.22, -0.48

MaxExtentPosition= 0.42, 1.60, 0.64

CollisionPoint[001]= 0.00, 1.68, 0.00

With this setting, you can have the prop at the FULL 2.74 diameter and you can "push" the plane completely level during takeoff (just like the stock D,III) and have NO prop problems.

• Like 1

gambit168, Stephen1918 planes are far better than the ones you and other people converted from the wings of war source files (long time ago). So i hope Stephen1918 makes someday a BE2C, it will be better than the one at skunkworks for sure. And if you can make a skin then it will be awesome :-)

P.S. Can't wait to try your skins for the Albatros D.II.

Edited by Hansa

FE was a little dead for a while then bam all hell breaks loose the last month or so. Great to see so much tallent still working so hard to improve this great game.

Don't panic! Let me some time to fix the issues.....

I reworked my Mercedes 160 engine section of the data.ini using data from TK's 160:

// Engines ---------------------------------------------------------

[Engine]

ReferenceName=Mercedes D.III Inline 160 hp

SystemType=PROP_ENGINE

InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL

EngineID=1

SLPowerDry=119312.0

ThrustAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

ThrustPosition=0.0,1.7,0.0

ThrottleRate=0.5

AltitudeTableNumData=21

AltitudeTableDeltaX=304.8

AltitudeTableStartX=0.0

AltitudeTableData=1.000,0.982,0.964,0.945,0.927,0.909,0.891,0.873,0.855,0.836,0.818,0.800,0.782,0.764,0.745,0.727,0.709,0.691,0.673,0.655,0.000

NumBlades=2

PropDiameter=2.74

MomentOfInertia=3.02

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableNumData=11

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableDeltaX=0.1

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableStartX=0.0

PropEfficiencyAdvanceRatioTableData=0.049,0.327,0.532,0.649,0.749,0.784,0.800,0.800,0.723,0.486,0.000

PropPFactorCoefficient=1.0

ConstantSpeed=FALSE

SpinnerNodeName=SpinPropHub

StaticPropNodeName=Prop

SlowPropNodeName=SSpinProp

FastPropNodeName=FSpinProp

DamagedPropNodeName=

SlowPropRPM=400

FastPropRPM=800

MaxPropRPM=1420

IdlePropRPM=500

BSFC=0.00280

ExhaustEmitterName=InlineExhaustEmitter

ExhaustPosition=0.69,0.33,0.41

FireSuppression=FALSE

MinExtentPosition=-0.12,0.55,-0.17

MaxExtentPosition= 0.12,1.66, 0.64

MinManifoldPressure=0.33

MaxManifoldPressure=1.13

GasTempIdleRPM=60

GasTempMaxRPM=80

GasTempChangeRate=0.1

OverheatTemp=100

DamageTempDelta=20

OverheatDamageRate=

OilPressIdleRPM=5.10

OilPressMaxRPM=4.08

OilPressChangeRate=0.07

LowOilPress=2.04

LowOilPressTempDelta=100

AnimationID=-1

MaxPowerAnimationTime=0.1

MinPowerAnimationTime=0.2

It seems to have cured the periodic engine explosions during flight that I started to encounter, and end the blow up on take off, unless I really ham hand it.

OK, this it a quick hotfix correcting the Min-Max extents and collision point in nose (slightly different to Panama Red numbers).

Also I have added some more G tolerance, as I suspect that was the problem in losing the propeller in sudden dives (nevertheless, I think you have to change something in your joystick settings, mine doesn't reproduce your issues even recovering suddenly from a 260 Km/h dive).

Try and tell me. If it's good enough, I'll ask Stephen to update the package.

Albatros Hotfix.zip

OK, this it a quick hotfix correcting the Min-Max extents and collision point in nose (slightly different to Panama Red numbers).

Also I have added some more G tolerance, as I suspect that was the problem in losing the propeller in sudden dives (nevertheless, I think you have to change something in your joystick settings, mine doesn't reproduce your issues even recovering suddenly from a 260 Km/h dive).

Try and tell me. If it's good enough, I'll ask Stephen to update the package.

Great. Seems to have completely fixed the problem. No issues so far after throwing the Alb around for 30 mins or so. Previously it was a problem all the time. No more.

Thanks Ojcar. And thanks Panama Red.

Very creative solution and the FM seems a little improved moving the min/max extents too. Seems better balanced.

Edited by extremeone

Yes, Panama Red is a very good help to FMs. The man is a true legend! He was making FMs for Red Baron 3D before some of you were born! :grandpa:

I have ojcar's hotfix FM. I'm getting ready to upload a new version of the Albatros D.II. I've been working on the gun skins to resolve the issue that 33Lima pointed out. I've made some improvement, but it's still there sometimes. I'm using a .tga file to make the holes in the gun sleeve and the transparency messes up in some lighting, I can't get rid of it completely.

Before I upload the revision, has anyone come across any other issues I should look at?

I'm not sure if this is easy to fix, but the cross section of the D.II Early and D.II Late appear to be slightly wider than the FE stock D.III and compared against any pictures or youtube videos that show the D.III. Since the D.II and D.III used the same fuselage, they should be the same dimentions.

Like I said a slight observation, but I do not know how easy it is to fix now.

Edited by Panama Red

I do agree Panama Red. It does seem a bit beefy in the fuselage width. I'm sure Stephen can just sqeeze it together at the sides (like I know it's so easy to do :grin: ). Sorry Stephen.

Stephen, if this is not fixable, it's not a big flaw, especially considering that TK's D-III isn't a perfectly shaped model. TK's is good, and so is yours. Lord knows, you're one of the few modelers still working on this sim. I'm truly grateful to you for bringing this model to the community.

• Like 1

looks fine to me i checked the fuse against plans and the cross sections fit perfectly on A-A B-B C-C & D-D markers :biggrin:, drawing shows cockpit hole a little farther back, which maybe why its may look a bit "bulky" in the mid fuse section to some ,But I for one wont be losing any sleep over that,Life's way 2 short 2 start worrying about stuff like that :biggrin:

post-3258-0-16903500-1352545053_thumb.jpg

Edited by gambit168

I agree with you that it is a minor point, which is why I stated it that way on my post above, but if the D.II is correct, that means all of the stock FE Albatros's are incorrect since they are all thinner.

Frankly, I don't notice any difference where this sim shines and matters (in the middle of a dogfight).

I've uploaded a new version of the Albatros D.II. This one incorporates ojcar's improved FM. I have played a little with the fuselage, but I couldn't do much without having to re-skin the fuselage or re-rig the whole plane. I trimmed the width a centimeter or two between the pilot and the tail.

I also played with the skin for the gun. It's an improvement, but the end of the gun sleeve still shows through the sides a little bit.

post-67404-0-71251300-1352579162.jpg

post-67404-0-15970100-1352579168.jpg

Thanks, Stephen. For contributing so much of your time, and your talents. Love this bird. And all your others.

Great stuff! Off to grab the new version now - thank you Stephen!!!