I don't know why people use Normal for FM

If they're anything like me it's because they can't fly for s**t and spin and auger in everytime they attempt a guns pass at a MiG. That's okay, you want a real laugh? Check out chapter 3 of my Let's Play. Spoiler: I'm gunned down mercilessly on a SEAD mission by a Hunter F.4. Why is it that SEAD missions in every off-screen and now on-screen rendition always spell doom for my pilots?! I HATE SEADS!!! :censored:

And it's never because I can't hit ground targets or AAA gets me or whatever. It's always because magically the AI turn into Aces and annihilate everything. [/Rant]

Lawls.

I'm so weird, I want hard core physics but I still use unlimited ammo/fuel and visual aid

I fly everything normal, but with visual aid on Hard.

I fly everything normal, but with visual aid on Hard.

I just wish the visual aid was less IN YO FACE. I wish the words were off to the side more so they didn't block the targets and that all names were shortened. All I want to know is that's a AAA, I don't want half the screen taken up because it wants to tell me its make, model, nickname, weight, name of the operator, operator's mom's maiden name, birthday, and how big a crap he took in pounds just before I blew him up

I find half of the fun is entering an area and having to figure out WHERE you are fired upon from.

The only thing I have on normal is the HUD mode because that give me messages for airbrakes and gear - other than that no aids on screen and only blue jets show on the Map - yes you have to check your 6 a lot.

If I removed my slap you across the mouth the enemy is this way you moron cone, I'd definitely be in trouble. I can't even get the genuine realistic flight model down.

I just wish the visual aid was less IN YO FACE. I wish the words were off to the side more so they didn't block the targets and that all names were shortened. All I want to know is that's a AAA, I don't want half the screen taken up because it wants to tell me its make, model, nickname, weight, name of the operator, operator's mom's maiden name, birthday, and how big a crap he took in pounds just before I blew him up

Roger

Here is a some of the text from within the huddata.ini that will help to explain some of the options available to customize the information shown on your screen.

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985 <----------------the slashed remove the text

//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=2 <-------------------this controls the target box size

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=2

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=0

BoxSize=0 <------------------------this controls the waypoint triangle size

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.0 <---------------these removes the stupid radar screen

Height=0.0 <--------------

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=10

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=

Rom, that's kinda how I modified my HUDDATA.ini although I was not smart enough to think of using hash marks. It keeps it so my plane info and my target info is offscreen yet I can see my gear, flap, speedbrakes ect. dialog and I'm able to noob it out with my target and navigational cones.

Anyways... the newest video is up! I talked about it but never got a chance to start an upload as I had to get to my graveyard shift. Also a big thank you to everyone who has helped me out with all kinds of amazing information and video views. It's great! This is an awesome thread and I hope all you guys keep posting here too!

Well me again, double posting even more...I'm curious now. Since my last campaign ended I was going to start a new one flying the Hunter F.6 in '62. Now here's the kicker...in the base's supply I have several sidewinder b's and firestreaks yet on the plane's pylons it only allows me to mount droptanks, bombs, and rocket pods...this is confusing to me because, while I am not familiar with the Hunter F.6 I did read up on it a bit and it is said that the plane could mount those weapons.

I'm very curious as to why the base has the supply of them, but the plane has no option to mount them. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

winders only, and only on certain Swiss Hunters (and maybe Omani??)

RAF Hunters didn't use them, afaik

That's because the RAF used Firestreaks which were essentially the same. However I still have in the base supply window both Sidewinders and Firestreaks available with about 90 or so of each, but no option to mount them on the jet.. It's quite strange. And confusing.

That's because the RAF used Firestreaks which were essentially the same. However I still have in the base supply window both Sidewinders and Firestreaks available with about 90 or so of each, but no option to mount them on the jet.. It's quite strange. And confusing.

See the loadout chart at the bottom of here http://www.thunder-a...ter/history.php - looks like only the Fireflash was trialled on a test F.mk4.

Pretty sure the RAF never used AAMs operationally on Hunters - but if you find a source then please post it.

You will find by default that the loadouts for every jet are normally historically accurate. (yes you can change it)

Edited by MigBuster

Whats your channel's name in youtube?

Falcon

Oh Hey Falcon, thanks for the interest in my channel! My user name there is Zomb Lee. Very creative, huh?! Lol. http://www.youtube.c...44?feature=mhee

Also to Wrench and MigBuster I really appreciate the help and such. I think basically my problem with seeing the damn ordnance in file for the Hunter even though she can't mount those is because I selected a Mercenary campaign as I am CombatAce's resident merc...and it seems I was getting supplies of Sidewinders and Firestreaks in case I purchase a jet capable of mounting them even though the Hunter couldn't. I'm the biggest derp ever...lol

Edited by Hero540

Another fellow SF2 fan. If you're just getting into the sim i highly recommend getting TMF's F-14 pack. I read the previous comments and it seems your as ham-fisted as i am. The TMF's F-14 may not be the most agile fighter but its deliberate and responsive and wont depart unless you really want it too. You can pull so hard on the stick until you broke it but the plane wont. Plus its the most gorgeous thing out there. :)

Edited by saisran
  • Like 1

Another fellow SF2 fan. If you're just getting into the sim i highly recommend getting TMF's F-14 pack. I read the previous comments and it seems your as ham-fisted as i am. The TMF's F-14 may not be the most agile fighter but its deliberate and responsive and wont depart unless you really want it too. You can pull so hard on the stick until you broke it but the plane wont. Plus its the most gorgeous thing out there. :)

Ham Fisted...I like that. Couldn't think of the phrase but that's definitely it. And thank you very much for the recommendation! I'll swing by the download sections and get them on my harddisk. I started a new merc campaign in '62 kind of going on with my own story based off the defeat and failure of my last campaign. In this new one, I'm flying the Hunter F6, which is why I was trying to figure out missiles and it. Apparently it's a strict guns and rockets and bombs only fighter, but for an older subsonic jet, even on the hard flight model, I have yet to make it fold up and spin in. It's incredibly stable! A great plane. As I progress or finish a campaign or (more than likely) die I'll start another one, maybe more modern and definitely try out the Tomcat. It's definitely one of my favorites in terms of looks, but I can't say I've ever flown one in SF2 yet.

For me, I love these planes based solely on looks

F-86 Sabre (Never flown)

F-100 Super Sabre (Flown it, turns slow, is heavy and doesn't accelerate but stable for me even on Hard FM)

British Electric Lightning F.1-53 something? (Super fast, and an incredible climber but if I tilt the wings and pull back on the cyclic I find myself spiraling in everytime)

F-5E Tiger II (Flown in practice more modern more stable but no tests on Hard FM)

A-4 Skyhawk (Stable and won't lawn dart me on Hard FM but I lost repeatedly to MiGs)

Something something Crusader (Great looking but on Hard FM I think I recall it being slow however stable. Still died to some MiGs.)

F-14 Tomcat (Never flown)

F-18 Hornet (Never flown)

And finally my newly discovered F.6 Hunter which is slightly ugly to me. (Subsonic, but so incredibly fast in turning and stability even on Hard FM it's like cheating)

I'm uploading my new campaign video now and I got some kills with that Hunter that I never could've pulled off in the above list. Except maybe in the Tomcat, Hornet, and Tiger II.

Ham Fisted...I like that. Couldn't think of the phrase but that's definitely it. And thank you very much for the recommendation! I'll swing by the download sections and get them on my harddisk. I started a new merc campaign in '62 kind of going on with my own story based off the defeat and failure of my last campaign. In this new one, I'm flying the Hunter F6, which is why I was trying to figure out missiles and it. Apparently it's a strict guns and rockets and bombs only fighter, but for an older subsonic jet, even on the hard flight model, I have yet to make it fold up and spin in. It's incredibly stable! A great plane. As I progress or finish a campaign or (more than likely) die I'll start another one, maybe more modern and definitely try out the Tomcat. It's definitely one of my favorites in terms of looks, but I can't say I've ever flown one in SF2 yet.

For me, I love these planes based solely on looks

F-86 Sabre (Never flown)

F-100 Super Sabre (Flown it, turns slow, is heavy and doesn't accelerate but stable for me even on Hard FM)

British Electric Lightning F.1-53 something? (Super fast, and an incredible climber but if I tilt the wings and pull back on the cyclic I find myself spiraling in everytime)

F-5E Tiger II (Flown in practice more modern more stable but no tests on Hard FM)

A-4 Skyhawk (Stable and won't lawn dart me on Hard FM but I lost repeatedly to MiGs)

Something something Crusader (Great looking but on Hard FM I think I recall it being slow however stable. Still died to some MiGs.)

F-14 Tomcat (Never flown)

F-18 Hornet (Never flown)

And finally my newly discovered F.6 Hunter which is slightly ugly to me. (Subsonic, but so incredibly fast in turning and stability even on Hard FM it's like cheating)

I'm uploading my new campaign video now and I got some kills with that Hunter that I never could've pulled off in the above list. Except maybe in the Tomcat, Hornet, and Tiger II.

I prefer fighters based on looks as well, and a bit of history. here's my favorite fighters from top to bottom.

1. Tomcat - probably the most aesthetically pleasing design for a modern jet fighter. That swing wing, twin engine and twin tails, from any angle the tomcat looks good. the plane equivalent of an E-type jag or an alpha romeo.

2. F-4 Phantom II - ugly as hell but has definite character. Well loved and war proven.

3. F-8 Crusader. another ugly design. but its tendency to swap ends and bearing the moniker as the last gunfighter gives it charm. (i tend to favor naval fighers)

4. F-86 sabre. - very clean design. simple,practical and beautiful.

5. Dassault Rafale/Jas-39 Grippen - what cani say. this two delta looks almost the same and both of them looks really good.

6. Flankers - next to the F-14 in terms of looks the only drawback is that the long arched nose/cockpit/fuselage area makes it look like a platypus or a duck in some angles.

7. F-16XL - The viper has grown on me for the past year but i still think it looks like it has been squashed before rolling out of the production lines. The XL gave the viper added girth that improves ins dimensions aesthetically.

In terms of fun in the cockpit.

1. F-14 hands down. throw it anywhere you like and it'll forgive you. But you have to stay smart as you're not as agile as they are. But in any situation you have the highest probability of the first shot and control of the fight. sacrifice your -54s so they go on the defensive early on, if it hits.. well you're going home early.

2. A-10- guns guns guns... them tanks!

3. F-8 i just like being in this plane

4. F-16 dog fights are the norm. winders galore then guns guns guns!

3. F-5

• Like 1

Not to mention F-14 can fire Aim-54 missiles at 6 targets 100 NM away all at once

• Like 1

Not to mention F-14 can fire Aim-54 missiles at 6 targets 100 NM away all at once

Always a plus.

Thanks for all the comments and replies guys!

@Saisran: Those are some awesome picks. I had to look up a few but I'm glad I did. Quite awesome. :biggrin:

@Crusader: Thanks! Its sadly art from Ace Combat 5, but I figured it fit the purpose. Also, thanks for watching my Let's Plays. I don't have a monetized account, so I'm doing this purely for fun and it's even better when others get a kick out of it too.

@Crusader: Thanks! Its sadly art from Ace Combat 5, but I figured it fit the purpose. Also, thanks for watching my Let's Plays. I don't have a monetized account, so I'm doing this purely for fun and it's even better when others get a kick out of it too.

AC5? I thought it was Silber from AC Zero :p

Thanks for all the comments and replies guys!

@Saisran: Those are some awesome picks. I had to look up a few but I'm glad I did. Quite awesome. :biggrin:

I just watched your vids and let me suggest a book or two. First this book is the bible of sim pilots http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Combat-Maneuvering-Robert-Shaw/dp/0870210599/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359144987&sr=1-1&keywords=air+combat+maneuvers if you are serious of learning. Second one I just found of searching for the first book http://www.amazon.com/Air-Combat-Manoeuvres-Technique-Simulation/dp/1903223989/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359144987&sr=1-2&keywords=air+combat+maneuvers

I have the first book, it is kind of dry reading but loads of tactics and history. This book has both gun related & missile related tactics.

BTW When you got killed during a ground attack, the hunter didn't get you, it was a anti-air gun that brought you down. Oh another thing SPEED = LIFE.

Falcon