Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

Aircraft Nicknames

I know RE 8's were known as 'Harry Taites' but scratching my head, I can't think of any other nicknames.

There must be loads. I can't believe the BE2 was actually called a BE2 throughout the whole war.

Am I just having a mental block here? Or weren't nicknames the done thing?

I believe one, or possibly more, versions of the BE2 were known as the 'Quirk'.

My dad used to refer to the Bristol Fighter as a 'Brisfit', but I don't know if that would have been used during WW1.

Bristol fighter was more commonly known as a Biff , FE2 was a FEE , and I am sure I read somewhere the BE2 being referred to as a flying hip bath

FB5 was the "gunbus" I seem to recall, or maybe I just read that in a Commando book.

I've heard Fee and Brisfit too. Hip bath is new to me though.

Wasn't "Camel" a nickname first?

I read somewhere, that the craft's original name was just "Sopwith F.1 Biplane".

It was called "Camel" because of the two bumps in the cowling hood, for the two guns.

Wasn't "Camel" a nickname first?

I read somewhere, that the craft's original name was just "Sopwith F.1 Biplane".

It was called "Camel" because of the two bumps in the cowling hood, for the two guns.

You are correct sir, and win a cigar!! Please contact the BOC to collect your prize!

Let's not forget the Airco DH2, lovingly referred to by novice pilots as "The Spinning Incinerator". 

Also "The Flying Razor", better known as the Fokker DVIII.

Yes, "Brisfit" is post-war. "Biff" is correct for WW1.

Here are a few more:

LFG Roland C.II: Walfisch

LFG Roland DII: Haifisch

Sopwith Pup. Official name was Sopwith Scout.

Armstrong Whitwork FK8: Big Ack

Yes, "Brisfit" is post-war. "Biff" is correct for WW1.

Here are a few more:

LFG Roland C.II: Walfisch

LFG Roland DII: Haifisch

Sopwith Pup. Official name was Sopwith Scout.

Armstrong Whitwork FK8: Big Ack

Jim, your contributions are beyond reproach and greatly appreciated!

Apparently my contributions are within reproach and hardly appreciated.  :grin:

I call mine "Susan". :biggrin:

*edit*

Olham nailed Camel. Pup came from the fact that it was a smaller version of the 1 1/2 Strutter. The story goes that someone saw it and told Sopwith that his airplane had "had a pup".

1 1/2 Strutter was also a nickname referencing the cabane struts. I can't recall the official designation but I believe the initials were LRT, the R standing for Rotary and the T for Tractor, indicating a front-mounted (tractor) rotary engine. The L may have been for land.

Edited by von Baur

I thought the Camel was also called the "Ensign Eliminator".

Beard

As far as I know, this is the nickname of the F4U "Corsair" during WW2. It was difficult to make a carrier landing as it was prone to bounce on touch down.

If I recall correctly, Corsaire, the bounce was a by-product of the fact that the landing was more of a controlled crash. While this is true for most (if not all) carrier landings, never was it more so than in the case of your namesake. The Corsair's long nose would entirely block the pilot's vision of even an aircraft carrier from a reasonably long distance. This necessitated the pilots bringing in their planes on a turn almost until they were over the ship and then cutting power completely, causing them to slam down on the deck.

From what I read, the Chance Vought F4U "Corsair" was called "Whistling Death"

or "Whistling Pig" because of the specific sound of the aircraft in full flight.

Carrier landings with a Corsair make me understand, why you should be under 30

for this sort of business - makes my neckhair raise...

Yow!  Now you know why the US Navy gave these to the US Marines at first - carrier landings didn't go so well.  I'm no expert on the history of the Corsair, so I don't know if specific modifications were made that later allowed carrier ops, or if the British started doing it and we were shamed into getting it right!  If I recall, the Brits managed carrier landings before we did.

Love that plane, though.  You are correct, though, the Japanese called it Whistling Death.  If I ever get some spare time, I have a kit to build.

Here's one more for you; a well made introduction into the "Corsair" IMHO - but then we must go to topic, I suppose.

For the french planes, very few nicknames: 'Parasol' for the Morane-Saulnier L and 'Bébé' for the Nieuport 11 are the only ones I know. 'Longhorn' and 'Shorthorn' for the Farman M.F.7 and M.F.11 were nicknames given by the Brits. Another plane who deserved its nickname was Sikorsky's four-engined 'Ilya Muromets', named after a legendary giant warrior (also nicknamed 'Ruskiy Vityaz', the Russian knight).

Whispering Death may have been a name for the Corsair too, but it was definitely the nickname given to the Bristol Beaufighter by the Japanese.

Incidentally, for those interested, I caught a trailer for a TV program about the Timber Terror DH Mosquito on at the weekend; the Plane that Saved Britain or some title. I reckon I've seen most Mossie footage that's public, but there might be some newer footage since the Kiwi team of restorers put one back in the air. Sunday at 8 is the time that registered but check the papers.

"Whistling death" for the Corsair, Flyby.

If I recall correctly, Corsaire, the bounce was a by-product of the fact that the landing was more of a controlled crash. While this is true for most (if not all) carrier landings, never was it more so than in the case of your namesake. The Corsair's long nose would entirely block the pilot's vision of even an aircraft carrier from a reasonably long distance. This necessitated the pilots bringing in their planes on a turn almost until they were over the ship and then cutting power completely, causing them to slam down on the deck.

Having a few hundred carrier landings (with a good proportion of missed ones...) under my belt in different flight sims from Microprose 1942 PAW to IL2 1946 - Pacific Fighters, I entirely agree with you with

1. a carrier landing is a "controlled" crash landing

2. the F4U is the most difficult US plane to get on the deck ! It's even difficult to land on a dirt airfield due to this lack of forward visibility. Also the "W" shape of the wings was made to shorten the landing gear which woulf have otherwise been too long due to the huge size of the propeller.

"The combination of an aft cockpit and the Corsair's long nose made landings hazardous for newly-trained pilots. During landing approaches it was found that oil from the hydraulic cowl flaps could spatter onto the windscreen, badly reducing visibility, and the undercarriage oleo struts had bad rebound characteristics on landing, allowing the aircraft to bounce out of control down the carrier deck. The first problem was solved by locking the top cowl flap down permanently, then replacing it with a fixed panel. The undercarriage bounce took more time to solve but eventually a "bleed valve" incorporated in the legs allowed the hydraulic pressure to be released gradually as the aircraft landed. The Corsair was not considered fit for carrier use until the wing stall problems and the deck bounce could be solved. Meanwhile the more docile and simpler to build F6F Hellcat had begun entering service. Corsair deployment aboard U.S. carriers was delayed until late 1944."

Edited by corsaire31

Back in the 80's, I had a commercial art job with an ex-Corsair pilot who wanted to market WWII airplane models by mail. He was a great one for telling stories. The one I remember most is his account of landing a Corsair. The technique involved waiting until the wheels were nearly on deck, and then pulling the stick back sharply into your gut and stalling the wing. At which point, the plane simply fell onto the deck. Hence the bounce.

Addressing the original post, not sure if these count as 'nicknames' per se, but according to the Biggles books D.H. 4s were known as 'Fours' and D.H. 9s as 'Nines'... 

The Junkers Ju52 transport plane was nicknamed "Tante Ju" by the pilots ("Aunty Ju").