Sign in to follow this  
tonipm99

YF-23 vs F-22?

This is pretty simple: Why does everyone compares the YF-23 to the (clearly) more advanced F-22? And why doesn't anyone think that if the YF-23 won the ATF, it would be updated like was the YF-22? What do you think about this?

YF-23 was the better plane .... but much more expensive and complicated

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

The comparison probably comes from the original competition in the early 90s where the YF-22 was chosen over the YF-23 

Similar to YF-16 v YF-17 and YF-32 v YF-35 - a lot of people like to speculate on what ifs despite how pointless it is - there is about 27 pages of it here: http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3010&sid=1e8b81af77d3871633baee8a77b9daf7

If it won the F-23A should be getting similar software upgrades to what the 22 is getting for sure.

• Like 1

Chuck Yeager himself said the YF-23 was the better aircraft.

It looked much better. True.

From what I understand, the YF-23 was supposed to have had a much lower profile, but lacked some of the maneuverability in comparison to the YF-22. Apparently, there was an increased focus towards the end of the testing regime. Not that it would have mattered. Both aircraft had superior maneuverability to anything in service or on the drawing board at the time, including the 'STOL' variant of the Flanker being developed, that would eventually become the Su-37.

Was the bay of the YF-23 as versatile as the one of the YF-22 ? Surface of the two compartments seems a bit low.

yf_23_weapon_loadout_specs_by_blue2volf-

F-23A%20EMD%20internal%201415.jpg

file.php?id=14026&mode=view

• Like 1

The official response was mainly because the YF-22 was more manoeuvrable, .......... and watching the two prototypes I also have this impression ...

There was also an issue with the bay arrangement, if you get a missile hung up in the F-23's bay you can't launch the next one becase its above the first, F-22 dosn't have this issue.

Craig

The 23 didn't have the TVC nozzles on the engines. Stealthier from the rear, certainly, but I would say the 23 was the superior interceptor while the 22 was more air superiority.

Of course, just as the F-22A differs quite a bit from the YF-22 (which IMO is quite ugly compared to the 22A) the F-23A would likely have had some significant work done too. It never would've been as agile as the 22. I also question its underwing external "low threat environment" load as the wings get short chord very fast due to the diamond layout.

My personal estimate is that for all the work they're doing trying to make the F-22 capable of doing more than just shooting down other planes, the 23 would've been behind it in that area.

YF-23 was the better plane .... but much more expensive and complicated

if it was much more expensive and complicated, then it wasn't the better plane.

At the time of testing the yf-23 was more advanced and had greater flight performance. After the showdown the f22 was chosen for thrust vectoring and politics. It was then almost redesigned to become the f22a. If The government was so impressed with thrust vectoring, I'm convinced that the production yf23 variant could have been modified to take them. The diamond shaped planform would probably suit TV more than the f22. The raptor has become a national concern whilst the production f23 in my opinion would have kicked ass.