Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

A good match for the Hunter in A-A?

Have been flying a bit of the Hunter in strike role, but will like to try it in A-A role too. So what plane will be a good match for the Hunter? I don't mind the origins but that can make a evenly matched fight.

Thanks.

Paki Sabres

The Hunter will win every time...

(on looks).

• Like 1

Dassault SM B.2/I.A.I Sa'ar or Mirage IIICJ (at low level) could be a good bet for Sir Camm's wonder.

If it is meant to be of the same class, i would say a MiG-19, more performance, not so much stability. If by looks and history, i would say go for a Mirage 3

Thanks guys! I'm enjoying great dogfights this days!!

The Hunter mixes good lethality with excellent handling and a high thrust/weight ratio. From the Mk 6 onwards it has twice as much installed thrust as a J47-powered Sabre, and still significantly more than the Canadian or Australian Sabres, both of which would have been re-engined. It always lacked internal fuel though, and while most export customers (starting with the Dutch) fitted them with AIM-9s, this was never a standard fit on RAF aircraft. Given that Hunters would have been used in RAF service for air defence long into the 1980s, the retrofit of AIM-9 onto Harrier GR3s that happened in the Falklands would probably have happened to the remaining Mks 6 and 9 in the same time frame. UK fit would probably have wound up being AIM-9B or -9G on the outboard wing pylon, as was the fit on TWU Hawks in the same period. Hawk T Mk 1 vs. Hunter would be an interesting fight.

In terms of direct comparison, the Hunter would try to get a supersonic opponent into a turning flght. Woe betide the F-104 or Mirage III pilot who gets slow with a Hunter. The F-100 is an interesting comparator, because, despite nominally supersonic performance, the F-100 has lousy handling characteristics. If you want a contemporary supersonic aircraft that can turn at high subsonic,you have to look at the MiG-19 or, even better, the F-8 Crusader. Other interesting options include the A-4 Skyhawk or even the Gnat or Ajeet, both of which are very agile, but lack firepower. The MiG-17 is probably the most realistic opponent though, and a decent direct match.

From rather simplistic comparisons and based on what TK has put into SF2 I would definitely agree - something like:

MiG-17   = Hunter F.4

MiG-17F = Hunter F.6

The F-100 is a challenge in game - even without the real life limitations it had - seems to have TW comparable to the MiG-17F/ Hunter F.6 but has much higher wingloading.

I actually  prefer flying the F-100 in SF2 - makes you work!