Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

City of Mosul falls to al Qaeda, 2 more cities fall

I will never support US troops in a foreign war again.

Are you a U.S. Citizen?

2 more cities fell last night, more cities to fall ISIS promises to take Baghdad. Way to finish a job, we owed it to those people, for ripping their country apart. We needed to keep a presence for a few decades to give the country a chance and make sure the fledgling government makes it. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/world/meast/iraq-violence/

Iran is sending Revolutionary Guards ground units to reinforce the Sunni Maliki government of Iraq. We are very seriously contemplating airstrikes. When did you ever think that U.S. airpower would be flying CAS for Iranian ground troops. This is fucking surreal.

If only we'd had the good sense to stay out of Iraq like we have in so many other areas around the world like Sudan, Syria, etc.

There was literally no more reason to go there than there would be to go to any of a dozen other places, but no one beat the drum for them like they did Iraq. Afghanistan made sense at least, but that was doomed to fail. Afghanistan will only ever be ruled from within, and as long as those within support theocratic anarchy it will forever be a cesspool.

• Like 2

If only we'd had the good sense to stay out of Iraq like we have in so many other areas around the world like Sudan, Syria, etc.

There was literally no more reason to go there than there would be to go to any of a dozen other places, but no one beat the drum for them like they did Iraq. Afghanistan made sense at least, but that was doomed to fail. Afghanistan will only ever be ruled from within, and as long as those within support theocratic anarchy it will forever be a cesspool.

I feel the same way, but we made the sh!t sandwich, and it looks like the US will have to take a giant bite of it.

The ISIS  are no slouches a lot of these scum bags have proper military or organized training and combat experience. They use both conventional and unconventional tactics. There are even reports they have an elite "special forces" division, I doubt that.

Looks a lot like "Ho Chi Minh Campaign, reloaded". 

These guys poked the Iraqi government and it just fell apart, they are pressing their advantage. And sadly winning. 

For me the ISIS run to Bagdad is i sign of weakness.

ISIS troops fought in Syria against Assad and were beaten. Now they try to look for a weaker victim.

Their advance is on the first view impressive, But if you look on the map, then their success is limited to sunnitish areas. In the north of Iraq the kurdish Peshmerga is fighting successfully against the sunni ISIS and with every step to the south the shia dominated areas become closer and so the resistance will increase.

What we see in the moment is a reload of the 30 year war on german soil between 1618 and1648. Its a religion war between the fractions of islam.

• Like 2

For me the ISIS run to Bagdad is i sign of weakness.

ISIS troops fought in Syria against Assad and were beaten. Now they try to look for a weaker victim.

Their advance is on the first view impressive, But if you look on the map, then their success is limited to sunnitish areas. In the north of Iraq the kurdish Peshmerga is fighting successfully against the sunni ISIS and with every step to the south the shia dominated areas become closer and so the resistance will increase.

What we see in the moment is a reload of the 30 year war on german soil between 1618 and1648. Its a religion war between the fractions of islam.

I don't know what news agencies you watch, but you couldn't be more wrong, these sh!tbums are marching unopposed, Iraqi security forces are deserting their posts. These guys are 36 miles outside Baghdad and are using captured weapons and vehicles of the Iraqi Army and security forces.

I don't know what news agencies you watch, but you couldn't be more wrong, these sh!tbums are marching unopposed, Iraqi security forces are deserting their posts. These guys are 36 miles outside Baghdad and are using captured weapons and vehicles of the Iraqi Army and security forces.

North of Bagdad is sunni land. Bagdad and south of Bagdad is shia land. It will need some days till the shia tribes will have their combat strenght.

North of Bagdad is sunni land. Bagdad and south of Bagdad is shia land. It will need some days till the shia tribes will have their combat strenght.

People are evacuating including the Iraqi Army. This will be nothing like the Civil War of your country or mine, because these people are going to kill everybody women children etc etc etc...

I wonder why nobody bombed the Saudis any Qataris yet. Their royal palaces are inhabitated by arguably the finest collection of scum on Earth.

No money, no guns => byebye ISIS.

• Like 1

Horse::

When did you ever think that U.S. airpower would be flying CAS for Iranian ground troops. This is fucking surreal.

Maybe add Hezbollah fighters to that?  Very surreal this same ISIS was kept hush-hush while they were engaging Assad in Syria, but now they blitz Iraq, ISIS moves front page. We wanted to believe, we got what we wanted.

Let the nutters kill each other in a desert range, to prove whose side is Allah on. And broadcast in Pay-Per-View. Proceeds will be for the children. 

People are evacuating including the Iraqi Army. This will be nothing like the Civil War of your country or mine, because these people are going to kill everybody women children etc etc etc...

Samara and Tikrit are retaken by the Iraqi Army. Kirkuk is in the hands of the kurdish Peshmerga. The shia is mobilizing their forces. The advance of ISIS was caused by surprising the enemy. But the first shock is over. ISIS was beaten by Assad and will be beaten by the Iraqi Army. Its only a question of time. Be a little bit more patient. War is no TV show with 45minutes intervalls. It needs time.

And by the way, the 30 year war was a religion war on german soil with german troops on both sides, french and swiss on catolic and swedish on evengelic side.

Edited by Gepard

As a point of comparison, there was a period of 90 years between US independence and the end of the Civil War resulting in final unification and large-scale peace. Those intervening years were categorized by numerous conflicts from within and without, small and large scale rebellions and wars.

If 2003 was their 1776, they've not even reached the writing of the Constitution yet. I don't think it fair to demand they have a faster progression than we did. I just don't think it's our job to fix it anymore than it was France's to fix us after their help in the Revolutionary War.

• Like 1

As a point of comparison, there was a period of 90 years between US independence and the end of the Civil War resulting in final unification and large-scale peace. Those intervening years were categorized by numerous conflicts from within and without, small and large scale rebellions and wars.

The US civil war is not really comparable. This is not about taxation, slaves or anything of the likes.

It's about a religious fight of who is closer to one's god. One side uses oppression over the other, and both sides see the jihad as a means of achieving and defending power.

The slurs between sunnis and shias have been going on for centuries now. There is little of a chance that we'll see the end of that BS today.

Non-objective causes of war are hard to break (even though "objective" causes will produce issues too - see WW1). There's no way of trying to search for a solution with objective arguments.

It's always a pity, seeing people blow each other up in a war that has been started hundreds of years ago, for a cause that nobody has a dog to fight for today. The main difference between both parties is who is the rightful successor of Mohammed. Guys that are long dead since, but somehow there's lots of people that are willing to die for this cause. Maybe it's like Volker Pispers said:

"If you have an enemy, your day's gonna have some structure!"

Kind of reminds me of some of the awfully bright people in Northern Ireland, though.

Edited by Toryu

Iran is sending Revolutionary Guards ground units to reinforce the Sunni Maliki government of Iraq. We are very seriously contemplating airstrikes. When did you ever think that U.S. airpower would be flying CAS for Iranian ground troops. This is fucking surreal.

Has politics ever stopped being surreal?

Edited by shotdown

There is so much conflict in the world today especially in the Arab countries, it's a wonder we are still here. What other life form on the planet has devoted so much time, resources and energy into destroying it's own species. 

• Like 4

When Easter Island went to war with itself, not long before the euros first landed, they decided to divide themselves into Long Ears vs Short Ears. They built a pretty advanced civilization for an isolated polynesian island, 2000 miles from any other, and stripped the place bare. War was all they had left I guess.

Anybody see the movie Rapa Nui?

275 troops deployed to Iraq, but they where already there.

Wow, i thought Gary Brecher had gone missing

Iraq has formally called on the US to launch air strikes against jihadist militants who have seized several key cities over the past week.

"We have a request from the Iraqi government for air power," confirmed top US military commander Gen Martin Dempsey in front of US senators

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27905849