russouk2004

Epic film Waterloo

Bored on sunday...turned on tv and Waterloo was just starting...with   Christopher Plummer as " Duke of Wellington" and Rod Steiger  as "Napoleon"

what a great film...and no CGI lol...the cast was thousands....superb action,great cinematography....

end is as good a reason for ending war as ive ever seen I think...the total waste of life for a field in belgium....

I know napoleon was to be stopped,but still...all those dead...

Great film,epic...well worth watching if you havent seen it..

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 2

Napoleaon would have been stopped, anyway

100 days was one of the most stupid blunder in french history

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

Napoleaon would have been stopped, anyway

100 days was one of the most stupid blunder in french history

And their list of Military Blunders through history, is well documented

Was thinking it was an Abba video for some reason

I KNEW someone would take that shot!!!!!!!

Was a great italian soviet movie cooperation with excellent actors from all over the world.

And their list of Military Blunders through history, is well documented

I am not talking of the military blunder, but about Napoleaon's decision to return to France.

Even if he had won : the other Coallition army would have pressed on, southern france was not under Napoleaon's control ...

And unlike what is often said, Napoleon's army was only the shadow of what it was in 1814 (let alone 1805 !).

Wellington is depicted in some realistic way, in the sense that he had more than once displayed the deepest comtempt towards his own enlisted men, "the scum of England" says Plummer here, 'volunteers' pressed into service by hunger and misery. It was especially the case after the battle of Vitoria, 1813, when the plunder of the abandoned Royal Spanish luggage by the troops ordered to pursue deprived him of a more complete victory (and of wonderful spoils of war). He also distrusted his own cavalry, rightfully when seeing here his Union Brigade keeping on charging in spite of orders to its own destruction. Napoleon is treated in a very severe and partial way, totally unpleasant from the opening to the end, probably to flatter the Anglo-Saxon ego. The character of Blücher is not even sketched, but here it is rather the Soviet point of view, trying to underplay the German part of the victory. Fortunately, this also spares the audience the merciless mass slaughter of wounded and surrendering Frenchmen by which the Prussians tarnished their victory on this this battlefield.

Several expressions are still used in French 200 years after this battle. "It's Waterloo!" still means a complete fiasco, "the last square" (seen in Russo's scene) still refers to the very last upholders of some idea, and "the word of Cambronne", well, needs no explaination.

The character of Blücher is not even sketched, but here it is rather the Soviet point of view, trying to underplay the German part of the victory.

Its a movie, who cares. But i love the sentence: I wish it were night or the Prussians come.