It seems you would consider these models a bad way for a beginner to try 3d. What do you think one should start with?

Edited by stuntman

Stuntman, a beginner moving right into plane or cockpit modelling in my humble opinion is going to cause much frustration and disappointment for the average person.  Might I suggest you start with some basic box/poly modelling...using standard primitives such as Box and Cylinders and modifiers such as extrude, bevel, etc.  Maybe consider some basic ground structures like a shed, factory, warehouse, etc. to get down the basics.  Then work towards understanding texture mapping, such as UVW Maps and Unwrap UVWs.  Fair disclosure:  I am NOT a 3d modeller/texture artist, everything I learned was on my own so more experienced modders might have a different and better path to advise you! 

• Like 1

where I am too... finally got max, and now have to learn it. Once I figure out the controls, would definitely start with simple buildings, then some vehicles (there's a bunch of tanks we don't have...but that would also require learning animations for turrets and guns and stuff)

I have nothing but appreciation, admiration, and not a little envy, of those folks that can really work the program.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion, having access to these models is a wonderful way for a beginner to see how an airplane is constructed. Of course, simple objects are the way to start - drop tanks and weps, etc. - but at some point, one yearns to know just how an airplane is put together, and this is a great way to see. 99.9% of all 3D modelers on this forum are terrified to think that someone else might have access to their Max artwork - oh, it might be the end of western civilization as we all know it...and they would not share a 3D model if they had a gun put to their head.

I still stand by what I said in my first submission to this forum - anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my work. It is all just for fun, and to treat it any more seriously than that is really taking yourself way too seriously.

I applaud Alphasim for sharing these models. And I think that taking one and adding animations to it and mapping it is a great way to figure out how they are made. And looking them over, they are constructed very well - if perhaps a little low in polygon count in some areas and high in poly count in others. There are no reversed normals that I have found. They are made very well indeed.

Someone still needs to explain to me why so many 3D models are cut up into triangles instead of rectangles where it is not necessary. Does this not double the polygon count? The Third Wire game engine seems very forgiving of 3D models made up of rectangular polys when it is actual display time in-game.

• Like 1

I'm in the complete same boat as MPPD right down the party line.

infact I have already been messing with the A-3 Skywarrior  I dont know why but the Whale has always been one of my favorite birds.

I do feel kind of a kinship to this model being that I (probally others too :)) begged Michael Davies to build it for us for CFS2 Oh bout 10-12 years ago

post-2710-0-24340100-1431037680.jpg

Edited by colmack
  • Like 2

The Skywarrior model looks very, very good to me also. I think perhaps more detailed than the Skunkworks version. I have not checked, but are these already UVW mapped?

yes and there are a few repaints out there too

Edited by colmack

wouldn't only be the end of Western Civilization, but would start the Zombie Apocalypse!!  :biggrin:

The Modder's Depository exists for that very purpose -- the sharing of models. There are several in there, by some pretty good people!

---------

Colmack, you give us the attack version, and I'll decal it. I've already got a butt-load of them made up for the DAT version

VAH-1

VAH-3

VAH-13

plus hangar and loading screens (loading screen is an RG Smith painting) And an extensively modified Rhino pit that works pretty damn good, if I say so myself!

What is The Modder's Depository? Have I missed something or was that intended as a joke?

• Like 1

I'm in the complete same boat as MPPD right down the party line.

infact I have already been messing with the A-3 Skywarrior  I dont know why but the Whale has always been one of my favorite birds.

I do feel kind of a kinship to this model being that I (probally others too :)) begged Michael Davies to build it for us for CFS2 Oh bout 10-12 years ago

Standalone cockpit for A3D would be great too.

Just thought I'd put this out. The Textures for these aircraft, some of them are available as CFS2 Freeware. But be advised their in 32bit bmp format and you need a good program to convert them to 24bit. PS CF4 dose it real fine.

Just thought I'd put this out. The Textures for these aircraft, some of them are available as CFS2 Freeware. But be advised their in 32bit bmp format and you need a good program to convert them to 24bit. PS CF4 dose it real fine.

here ya go for that      http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Cool, I have the PS CF4, but that looks faster, thanks. I'll check it out.

Well with the model shown...took me 4 hours so far to get it with all anims,pivots are mostly centred on most meshes....and aligned...some, slats and speed slats are off but easy to do...

the skins (5 Main textures) are fine....shared textures I mixed onto a 6th jpeg\bmp...some dds files I changed to tga`s   glass spec etc...

all in all ready ish to import to game 5 hours or so...not that bad   model to  make from scratch  a few weeks ?

The existing destroyer is dated   this is experiment with spec maps   this model is good     a few bits need editing but basically its great

old gears and some new

post-1981-0-43615400-1431291671_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-91383000-1431291679_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-23299400-1431291684_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-15061500-1431291848_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-19368300-1431291886_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

This is very interesting. Do all these planes from Alphasim include a cockpit?

If I´m right the older FS planes (FS9 and before) do only have 2D panels.

No real 3D cockpit....

• Like 1

Some do have cockpit model too   (interior)

a few of the models have detailed interiors ,good enough to use as cockpit...

post-1981-0-97944400-1431353828_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 2

small vid to show the detail of the Destroyer...the gears were buggered...see the new ones.nose gear detail added and started to animate it  ..animating the main gear looks awkwards but I think from the animation ive seen on the original its straight forward.

I used video Download to capture   if anyone needs help in max its a good tool to capture screen shot or like this vid and files arent that big..

2015-05-13-01-47-38.wmv

I like your desktop image!