Sign in to follow this  

OK so my next query , as I need enlightening and the obvious explaining to me, if I use the VK 1 engine sound on a mig 15, it sounds perfect, however, if I then apply the exact same sound to a AVIA S-92, the sound becomes completely different, now I am sure that this has something to do with the S-92 having 2 engines, but, when I advance the throttles to full chat, the sound goes into this horrible loop which sounds like a galloping horse, but at a higher pitch of course, so, is this down to the set up on the S-92 v the Mig 15 or am I missing something fundamentally simple and being a complete twonk ? Another one of those issues that is irritating my OCD !! any advice would be most agreeable. 

compare engine idle RPM in the _data.ini. basically the base sound is played at idle and if throttle advances it increases in pitch.

so if 2 aircraft that has different idle rpm % they will sound different. Also if aircraft has multiple engines, or "fake engine"s that has different idle vs main engine, it will also affect sound. So basically idle rpm setting is important.

Edited by Do335

hmmm ok....I shall take a peek...thanks for that

it's a kinda majik !! So this leads me on to the next slightly insane and twisted query. If I adjust the idle settings, for only one of the engines, and not the other, does this actually have any effect on the engine performance, the idea being ( most likely incorrectly ) that as there are 2 differing Idle settings, therefore 2 different sounds, ie an unbalanced engine sound, but obviously if that would affect the engine operation and performance, then, an undesirable and quite possibly rather daft idea........however if it doesn't have an adverse affect, then the resulting sound mix could be ......interesting.

You don't need to worry about the setting in data ini. if you pull your game controller to idle, neither engine in game will produce thrust. The rpm % is mainly for avionics, like what RPM you read on your rpm gauge in the cockpit. Exception being engine response. Early jets have relatively slow engine response (defined by "ThrottleRate="). The lower idle rpm % is the longer it takes to go from 0 thrust to full thrust.

Now your intention to make one aircraft have 2 engine sounds mixed together (if i understand correctly) i don't think it is possible. Engine sound is given in data.ini "EngineSoundName=". Singular. Would be nice but one of those game limitations. You can however pre-mix them sounds in programs like Audacity and save it to a single.

Edited by Do335

Yeah UI have experimented a bit and it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference, I am just trying to get a more "phased"  sound out of the engines, kind of a quasi Doppler effect. Another question is, if I re record the sound, and increased the length of it, would that also smooth out the sound ? What I mean is, as these are looped sounds, then when they have played fully, for the 6 or 7 seconds that seems usual, then they re loop and that sound when it stops then re loops is quite noticeable on some of the sound files, especially when you increase the throttle, resulting in the "galloping Horse" effect.....So would increasing the length of the sound actually do anything to alleviate this.....Sorry for all the seemingly peculiar and off the wall questions, but I am pretty new to the editing modding thing. So just trying to understand how it works, some of it is self explanatory, but some things are a little more arcane.

What I mean is, as these are looped sounds, then when they have played fully, for the 6 or 7 seconds that seems usual, then they re loop and that sound when it stops then re loops is quite noticeable on some of the sound files, especially when you increase the throttle, resulting in the "galloping Horse" effect.....

I think i know exactly what you're describing and don't think it's the sound repeating itself... they're just human ear perceived "artificial loops" that created by some uneven rhythms in the sound file. I'm no audiophile so that's my best description of it. I asked a friend who works in the audio industry and he said a refined track is sourced or processed to get rid of these rhythms. If they are there the track is too "raw".

But, dunno which sound you're talking about so maybe i'm complicating things;) You can certainly try playing with it. My result: I mixed these engine sounds myself. There is still a faint "artificial loop" in the background but after like 50 different attempts, this is the best I got it to.

https://vimeo.com/152807785

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Co2WV_xP2I

Edited by Do335

No you are getting what I mean exactly, the changing the Idle RPM seems to have done the trick though, although far from perfect, I think I can live with it, I knew the answer would be simple, I have heard your sounds before they aren't half bad at all mate !

Just an observation, with careful editing of sound files using the Audacity software it's sometimes possible to get rid of "ticks" in the sound loop. The trick seems to be matching the amplitudes of the wave form at the start and end of the file. Sometimes just clipping a small portion from the start or end of the file to make the start and end amplitudes similar will get rid of a "tick".

• Like 1

Just an observation, with careful editing of sound files using the Audacity software it's sometimes possible to get rid of "ticks" in the sound loop. The trick seems to be matching the amplitudes of the wave form at the start and end of the file. Sometimes just clipping a small portion from the start or end of the file to make the start and end amplitudes similar will get rid of a "tick".

Yes, further more I think a good track should have constant(?) amplitudes. If not, there will always be "loops". You may not hear it in the first 5 minutes but 20 minutes later, the ear always finds the rhythm!...

Edited by Do335
  • Like 1

Yes, further more I think a good track should have constant(?) amplitudes. If not, there will always be "loops". You may not hear it in the first 5 minutes but 20 minutes later, the ear always finds the rhythm!...

I was wondering about that. Recently made a louder wind sound noise for open cockpit aircraft. Generated some white noise with Audacity and then manipulated it a bit to get what I wanted. It sounds "not bad" with the engine running but with engine off there is a noticeable "wow wow' effect. Not sure if the game engine does that automatically for the wind sound files or if it is related to the sound file itself.

"wow wow' effect

mine is more like "woo hoo woo -- woo hoo woo" but I think it's the same thing!... I've made it faint/un-annoying but it's still there and further attempts produced diminishing returns. I then bought adobe audition CC apparently a mid-level audioware and couldn't make heads or tails of that program. It is very sad:(

My problem lies in the source sample. Listening close to it, the same effect can be heard. But the SF sound engine amplifies the problem a lot at high rpm.

Edited by Do335

The issue seems to be more prevalent with jet engines, which have a more even sound, whereas a Piston prop, and a radial engine in particular are much rougher sounding, so the underlying what I call looping effect isn't so noticeable. 

The issue seems to be more prevalent with jet engines, which have a more even sound, whereas a Piston prop, and a radial engine in particular are much rougher sounding, so the underlying what I call looping effect isn't so noticeable. 

yes indeed, prop engines were a non-issue for me as well...

Also haven't tested it but if the plane has afterburner, the repeating rhythm at high rpm could be drowned out by the AB sound.

In any event, anything is better than the default engine sounds, i reckon :diablo:

Edited by Do335

Just a little question, are you using one of the Strike Fighters 2 EXE files or are you using the SF2:NorthAtlantic EXE file? As I understand it SF2:NA has some kind of sound issue buried in it execution file.

• Thanks 1

Hi if you get my cockpit sound mod it will modify to a more real 3d sound and mod the windloop to radio chatter..

Edited by hi ho silver
  • Like 1

SF 2 EXE but fully merged..........I shall look for your cockpit mod mate, don't think I have tried it yet

Are you adding your sound entry to the soundlist ini ? There's various settings in there but in all honesty I don't really know what they all do.

EG;

[spey]
Priority=NORMAL
3DSound=TRUE
DopplerEffect=TRUE
Looped=TRUE
FrequencyControl=TRUE
NumBuffers=4
MaxDist=1500.000000
MinDist=100.000000
InsideConeAngle=120
OutsideConeAngle=270
ConeOutsideVolume=5

yes indeed I am, I seem to have sorted that problem now with the idle RPM tweak. as for some of the entries on the  sound list.ini,  the last 5 entries are self explanatory ie, they specify where and how you hear different sounds, the looped entry is just that, it loops the sound, 3d and Doppler yup think we all pretty much get those 2 as well, its just the priority and the number buffers that don't mean anything to me.

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my engine sound, particularly when I am flying the F-4E. Whenever I change the view, like switching from cockpit view to POV, the engine sound sometimes diminishes or completely goes away. Do you guys know how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot.

On 2/22/2016 at 6:26 PM, trotski00 said:

but, when I advance the throttles to full chat, the sound goes into this horrible loop which sounds like a galloping horse, but at a higher pitch of course, 

LOOOOOL..."galloping horse"...LOOOOOL

There are two things I pay attention when I'm in this kind of trouble: as my fellow collegues stressed above, the amplitude must be equal and , second, I choose loops which are longer. A short sound loop is always hard to harness when you're editing it.

Edited by UllyB

37 minutes ago, Falcon1364 said:

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my engine sound, particularly when I am flying the F-4E. Whenever I change the view, like switching from cockpit view to POV, the engine sound sometimes diminishes or completely goes away. Do you guys know how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot.

Just PAUSE the game and REPAUSE it, it's a old known engine bug. (default key ALT+P)

Edited by UllyB