dtmdragon

Calling Phantom experts - radar scope colour?

Hay guys,

As we all know the stock TW F-4 Phantoms radar scope has a black background with green colour. However I have noticed a few different mods here at CA change the background colour to red eg the latest TMF F-4M pack and one of the skin packs for Col Old's F-4C(67).

If you google F-4 radar scope etc you find photos of what apears to be red radar screens for the F-4C, F-4E and F-4M. However I have also found a pic of an F-4M that appears black/green.

So my question is does anyone have a definitive answer?

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by dtmdragon

This could vary on type..........have some photos of RAF displays with Green background when turned on with yellow bars etc.

Front cockpit repeater or back WSO radar display?

The Phantom FGR2 Military Simulator at Newark air Museum has a red scope.

for what is worth I think the A-4 should be red not green...

for what is worth I think the A-4 should be red not green...

My impression was, that the A-4's screen is green or at least some brighter color. The red actually comes from a cover that can be flipped up. --> Picture

Nevertheless you're right. Ingame it should be red.

I'm no Phantom expert here, but may it be something similar too?

Edited by Nyghtfall

The actual display has the traditional colors of an oscilloscope CRT: light gray-green screen with bright yellow-green display indications. This is covered by and engraved graticule that looks white contrasted against the gray-green screen. But the display is not very bright, so it is recessed a bit into the panel. On the front of the panel is a night filter lens that can be removed. The night filter is a red color to make it match traditional night lighting.

• Like 1

The actual display has the traditional colors of an oscilloscope CRT: light gray-green screen with bright yellow-green display indications. This is covered by and engraved graticule that looks white contrasted against the gray-green screen. But the display is not very bright, so it is recessed a bit into the panel. On the front of the panel is a night filter lens that can be removed. The night filter is a red color to make it match traditional night lighting.

Thanks for the clarification! I just learned something new.

This is the display from the backseat, but the glass part is visually identical: 

f-4-radar.jpg

This is the front seat with the red filter:

f-4-radarscope.jpg

Notice the similarity in tech of the RWR indicator:

ebapr25.jpg

Finally, a screenshot of one of my SFP1/WoX series F-4 cockpit texture upgrades that used a cleaned up version of the backseat display image for the front seat:

3395-f-4b_hi-res_cockpit.jpg

The SF2 stock cockpits were so accurate that I never bothered to try to make an updated F-4 cockpit texture set... however, I liked to copy over the radar and RWR screen textures, despite their comparatively low quality.

• Like 1