I was thinking of modeling some shrubs and trees and I know that this community has made almost everything, so if anyone knows if there is something that I can make to add to it, please let me know. As I received a request to make some trees, and I would like to know if there were trees already made, so I don't end up making the same thing,

Thank you.

• Like 2

Some new trees would be nice but a rework of current ones to  remove  floating line above them would be a great improvement.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hi ho silver said:

rework of current ones to  remove  floating line above them would be a great improvement..

Careful, I think you guys are talking about TOD trees, which simply are 2D tree graphics using .tga files. LOD trees are another matter, and are very rarely used; the stock IcelandNA terrain uses 3D LOD trees, it's the only one of stock terrains. Not only countless LOD trees may cause low FPS, they simply are not easy to add in huge numbers over a relatively big terrain. TOD trees and buildings are the way to go. We would need a TOD editor in order to easily create and edit those. But we still don't have one.

• Like 1

I was only thinking of adding the models to put around the air base and certain places. they are as low as 8 poly to 200 max, for example, see the screenshot.

Many thank for your feedback.

Annotation-2019-03-14-182241-1024x565.pn

• Like 2

as Menrva said there will be few issues with lod trees. I was already doing it some time ago.

I think also that lod trees can be placed only on flat terrain... on hill lod will be aligned with terrain surface.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yakarov79 said:

as Menrva said there will be few issues with lod trees. I was already doing it some time ago.

I think also that lod trees can be placed only on flat terrain... on hill lod will be aligned with terrain surface.

Many thanks for your feedback. 

10 hours ago, gkabs said:

I was thinking of modeling some shrubs and trees and I know that this community has made almost everything, so if anyone knows if there is something that I can make to add to it, please let me know. As I received a request to make some trees, and I would like to know if there were trees already made, so I don't end up making the same thing,

Thank you.

There are some tree models available but they aren't always easy to find. No formal "tree objects" have been uploaded, to the best of my knowledge. Here are some I found included with some terrains.

Fir tree groupings found on Rends Germany terrain, and probably others. I re-colored the base for winter use and used it in the Battle of the Bulge terrain:

trees1.thumb.jpg.a168463b12c82f7d8a4bbac3b00178a9.jpg

Here are some palm trees that may use the same lod as the fir trees but with a different tga:

trees2.thumb.jpg.40a5d21561b0e610c138ed96c70049f7.jpg

Both those screen shots show 3 individual tree objects as well. Not sure where I got them but they are flat objects so to get a 3d look you have to place them in an X pattern.

I think having some tree objects, both individual and in groups is a good idea. I don't know anything about model building but it might be possible to make tree objects with different tga's that would match different climates, giving the terrain builder a choice of various tree types.

• Thanks 1

Menrva said it best...

LOD trees and shrub groupings have been around for years, but creating 3d models especially those that rely on .tga texture maps are an FPS killer.  I agree 100% with Menrva when he says "TOD trees and buildings are the way to go."  Unless you're building the 3d trees for a very specific purpose such as decoration around a specific building structure, airbase, etc.  - and even then they should be used sparingly as to yakarov's point they may suffer from alignment issues on slopes.

5 minutes ago, swambast said:

Unless you're building the 3d trees for a very specific purpose such as decoration around a specific building structure, airbase, etc.  - and even then they should be used sparingly as to yakarov's point they may suffer from alignment issues on slopes.

That's the whole idea, I think. They aren't used to make forests but just to add some additional visual interest to certain target areas.

Excellent and many thanks to you all for your feedback. :good: