Hello Community,

Its time for me to expand my knowledge and learn new things as I reached a dead end.  I need to know a view thing to help me improve my knowledge with the game after I complete models. especially with Service to air units in the game (I tried the knowledge forum but it is too complicated for me).  So here it goes.

1- I need to know how to make the data file for the SAM unit and radar modes so they can deduct air target? 

2- How to make the radar rotate in the data file. (I know I need to animate the model in 3d max but I need to know how to make it rotate without adding this code to the _TYPES.ini

AnimationID=1
AnimationTime=2.0

so it will work as soon as you add it to the game using the Target Area Editor.

3- How to position the missile in the rale of the launchers using the LODViewer.

4- How to test SAM in the game (I tried single mission with only the SAM unite and my jet but nothing worked) 

There is more but this is good for now if I can get this information that will help me understand the game better 

Thank you all for your time and help. and please understand English is not my first language.

1. the best to understand data ini is to take a look at existing data ini file. 

2. rotation of radars in ground object is not animation. All is set in data ini file. 

3. not fully understand - just position it  with x, y, z coordinates and atachment angles.

example will be also found in existing data.ini file of launcher...

like this :

[Turret]
ModelNodeName=Turret
MaxExtentPosition= 2.39, 4.20, 1.72
MinExtentPosition=-2.39,-4.70, 0.00
HasArmor=FALSE
SystemName[001]=Missile01
SystemName[002]=Missile02
SystemName[003]=Missile03
SystemName[004]=Missile04

[Missile01]
SystemType=MISSILE
MissileID=1
WeaponTypeName=SA-3_5W27D
WeaponPosition=-2.66,4.35,1.8
ShowMissile=TRUE
IndependentPitchMovement=FALSE

etc...

4. you need sam radar and sam launcher in ground objects and  weapon for launcher  in weapons folder. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

WeaponPosition=-2.66,4.35,1.8

Thank you for your reply yakarov79, 
This is what I need to know, how to get Weapon Position.  What should I use to get it? do I use the LODViewer with the C key to get the Position?

4. you need sam radar and sam launcher in ground objects and  weapon for launcher  in weapons folder. 

Correct, But in the game, SAM is random how to make them appear in the mission (sam radar and sam launcher)

Edited by GKABS

3 hours ago, GKABS said:

What should I use to get it? do I use the LODViewer with the C key to get the Position

Click on the mesh at the position you want, then use CTRL-C to copy the coordinates and paste them into the data (needs some additional final editing)

3 hours ago, GKABS said:

SAM is random how to make them appear in the mission

SAM systems with a separate radar and launcher (like SA-2, HAWK) do not work with them placed as objects in single missions. Only if they are placed by the game engine on targets ini defined SAM_Radar / SAM_Launcher positions.

To force a specific system .. my way (if testing things) is to give them the VERY_COMMON availability, disable stock systems, move out other systems from the GroundObjects folder ...  set Air Defense to High in the options menu

Choose a terrain with many SAM sites and select single mission SEAD .. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure about ground radar...my sukhoi awacs dish rotates as an engine,with rotation axis normally Y axis...in max rotate y axis so its angle you wnt the dish to rotate...heres my dish data.

[Radome]
SystemType=PROP_ENGINE
InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL
EngineID=9
SLPowerDry=1.0
SpinnerNodeName=Radarmotor
StaticPropNodeName=
SlowPropNodeName=
FastPropNodeName=
SlowPropRPM=6
FastPropRPM=6
MaxPropRPM=6
IdlePropRPM=6
BSFC=0.00298
ExhaustEmitterName=
ExhaustPosition=
FireSuppression=TRUE
MinExtentPosition=-0.056,-3.648,5.383
MaxExtentPosition=0.056,-3.535,5.383
ConstantSpeed=FALSE
RotationAxis=Y-Axis

• Thanks 1

Dont forget RadarFamilyName. This thing is used by plane RWR. In flight folder you can find files like RWR_MIG-25.tga it's symbol, that will be displayed on RWR.

[DetectSystem]
TargetType=AIR
RadarFamilyName=2S6
RadarSearchTime=2.0

In plane folder /cockpit/rwr is list file [something].LST. It is translating RadarFamilyName for correct symbol :

222=RWR_222.tga
2S6=RWR_2S6.tga
A-4=RWR_A-4.tga
A-6=RWR_A-6.tga
A-7=RWR_A-7.tga
A50=RWR_Mirage2kd.tga
A-130=RWR_A-130.tga

Edited by guuruu
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GKABS said:

Correct, But in the game, SAM is random how to make them appear in the mission (sam radar and sam launcher)

test on terrains with lot of SAM sites. check file _TARGETS.ini in terrain folder.

As I said before. Ground radars  - no animation needed. All is set in a data ini file. A quick look in data files will make clear all.

123456.thumb.jpg.d1b8eedb84360e091f4670a7996de805.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge of the game.  I will use the information definitely.

• Like 1

that major glitch of "direct calls" (as I call it) of SAM/Radars is a serious issue. When one has a map that shows EXACTLY what type of AD units (SAM & Radars) in a given location in a specific country**, and the game chooses NOT to have them fire -- they'll just sit there looking useless, is something that's never going to be fixed. And it pisses me off to no end!

**example: my build of the Gepard's Persian Gulf map -- I've placed the exact type of unit where they go in Iran, and do (sometimes) show up, but lay there like a dead camel.