Can anyone help me remove unwanted decals fragments?

img00055.JPG

img00058.JPG

img00059.JPG

First thing I would do, is contact the author of mod, and inform him/her of it.

If this is caused by what I think it is, there is no fix except for identifying the offending mesh that has the leak, and if one is very lucky, painting on the skin what the decal represents.

what looks like is happening, is the model has "decal bleed". This is caused by meshes that aren't welded together (in my understanding). That can only be fixed if the 3ds MAX files are still available to the mod builder. 

Also, when posting a issue with a model, PLEASE try and tell us who made, and if downloaded here from CA, post the link. It's a HUGE help in trying to diagnose an issue. Posting as clear a picture a possible, a close up and long shot, are exceedingly helpful. The one image with the circled issue isn't really clear enough, and close enough to help much

with the ub download theres a decal and steering fix...did you download it too?

I found even with fix...no decals work because no numbers.LST and texture list in the ub.ini arent present.

Edited by russouk2004

Oh, i remember this one!!!! ... the uploader was too lazy to add the fix to the full package. I remember calling him out on it. Sad thing that people don't care enough to support their work. His other mods are also a bit "sub-par". I mean, it's not 2005 anymore; you'd think some folks would actually NOTICE how the game system works

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

His other mods are also a bit "sub-par"

Sub par???? Okay! i will not upload aircrafts and other my things any more. Only will share by e-mail to people who wil be interested. If i am  cause of so so big inconvenience  i will play with my toys by myself

Edited by bazillius

I think that partly the problem that Ngr faces is related to how the aircraft was modelled and split in different meshes.

Here is what I mean:

image.thumb.png.62cd3e58925fe4fbf9930738851effcf.png

image.thumb.png.2e3a8a2a3e4f08fa7abd5316e0732342.png

The decal just in front of the exhaust is supposed to be on the outer side only, but because the whole middle section of the aircraft and the 2 engines are a singe mesh, when you apply a decal that should face left, it appears both on the right engine and the left engine facing left. The same happens to a decal that is applied on the upper side of the fuselage, that should face top - it appears also inside the engine intake, facing top. I do not know of a cure to this other than cutting the section into more meshes, allowing independent placement of decals. In my case above the decal appearing at the wrong place is a minor problem. I had to reduce the size of the board number (14) on the intake, so it could fit entirely in the separate mesh, which I believe the model creator included especially for placing the board numbers and preventing them from appearing at wrong sides of the intakes. The problem though is that in reality the board number should be bigger, but still I would call this a minor problem. Aside from these issues though I am extremely happy with both the MiG-29UB and MiG-29A models as the level of detail is exquisite.

• Like 2

Svetlin, you are absolutely right. i was thinking about slicing the model to more pices but in that case ugly seams apears. As i see the solving this problem not to use decal but write this part of camo element directly in the template on the texture.

The thing is that the decal is not common to all aircraft in a squadron, but to a single board. So to represent a full squadron you would need 1 skin for the aircraft with unique skin design and another skin for all other aircraft in the squadron. So that will be a problem in the game as when the standard squadron skin is used in the game, you will not have the special skin appearing among the other aircraft. This is similar to US Navy squadrons having a CAG bird and line birds. If you make the CAG bird a separate skin, then you will never have the CAG aircraft appearing together with the line birds. In my example Bulgarian MiG-29UB board number 14 was decorated to commemorate 100 year of military aviation in Bulgaria and no other aircraft had these additional decorations:

image.thumb.png.719f6d605bb24a18e21377216ab8a364.png

Something similar on Bulgarian MiG-29A board 16 commemorating 25 years of MiG-29A in Bulgarian Air Force service:

image.thumb.png.782547cf385727dccc23ece5190137fe.png

I do apologize to Ngr for hijacking his thread.

Edited by Svetlin
Added text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bazillius said:

Svetlin, you are absolutely right. i was thinking about slicing the model to more pices but in that case ugly seams apears. As i see the solving this problem not to use decal but write this part of camo element directly in the template on the texture.

cut meshes on panel lines if possible...hides cuts well.

• Like 1