Sign in to follow this  
Rick Rawlings

What? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?

10 hours ago, Rick Rawlings said:

Hmm. I'm not so sure. To me he has more of the look of a young Basil Fawlty, but what do I know?

Exactly! One and the same thing :)

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This pilot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the bar 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PILOT!!

• Haha 2

Ok this is :off_topic: [sorry Rick] but I did learn a lot about correct Latin grammar in the Python's  "Life of Brian". In translating "Romans go home", Brian incorrectly daubs the wall with Romanes eunt domus which actually means "People called 'Romanes' they go the house". He is rightly corrected by a patrolling Centurian that the Latin phrase for "Romans go home" is actually Romani ite domum.  

It's a common mistake even amongst learned scholars, let alone Brian. But then we're all individuals I guess.

Edited by catch

On 5/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, catch said:

Ok this is :off_topic: [sorry Rick] but I did learn a lot about correct Latin grammar in the Python's  "Life of Brian". In translating "Romans go home", Brian incorrectly daubs the wall with Romanes eunt domus which actually means "People called 'Romanes' they go the house". He is rightly corrected by a patrolling Centurian that the Latin phrase for "Romans go home" is actually Romani ite domum.  

It's a common mistake even amongst learned scholars, let alone Brian. But then we're all individuals I guess.

wait, you mean not everyone already knows all that?  huh...........

(see you in the skies!!!)

WooHoo,   Count me in.

I say, Have you Heard. This is the Final Final Challenge ?

600px-AcesHighLewis_(4) Have U heard.jpg

carrick, yay! You made it! Now if I could just get gaw1 to check his messages! :lol:

Pilot list:

BuckeyeBob

TROOPER117

Rick Rawlings

Stache

MFair

HarryH

Baldric

Catch

Louvert

rjw

lofty_c

carrick58

Count me in dear Rick. I must compensate for RFC-40 after mowing down so many of them in my DiD campaign :pilotfly:

Edited by trustworthykebab

1 hour ago, trustworthykebab said:

Count me in dear Rick. I must compensate for RFC-40 after mowing down so many of them in my DiD campaign :pilotfly:

Outstanding!

Pilot list:

BuckeyeBob

TROOPER117

Rick Rawlings

Stache

MFair

HarryH

Baldric

Catch

Louvert

rjw

lofty_c

carrick58

trustworthiness

Well, that makes a lucky baker's dozen so far!

2 Lt  Cecil Saidwick  Rfc, 60a1abb8e1fc6_CFS32021-05-1616-22-34-40.thumb.jpg.3041501e50f2ff04ecebd93e4bc22a4d.jpg Reporting  assigned a Reserve SE 5a from storage.

CFS3 2021-05-16 16-22-39-58.jpg

CFS3 2021-05-16 16-22-50-06.jpg

Welcome aboard, Lt. Saidwick, looking good! Watch out for those reserve busses, though! A lot of times they have had the eight track pulled and then you are stuck listening to the BBC the whole flight!

Pilot list:

BuckeyeBob

TROOPER117

Rick Rawlings

Stache

MFair

HarryH

Baldric

Catch

Louvert

rjw

lofty_c

carrick58

trustworthiness

trustworthykebab

...Kindle Autocorrect for the lose!

Question: When does the clock start?  I couldn't fly my first (and potentially last :wink:) mission until May 31/June 1.

In keeping with the Ricks hillbilly sitcom and our shared love of good music, let me introduce Jethro "Tull" Bodine from Hooterville.  The love of Jethro's life, Daisy Mae, ran off with a scoundrel named Earnest T Bass. Not knowing what to do, he got into Grannies medicinal jug and the next thing he knew he was in Canada. A man in uniform asked him if he knew mathematics and he said "Shore do! Naught plus Naught equals Naught Naught." The uniformed man grinned and said "Son, your a born pilot! Sign here!" And so begins the adventures of a Hillbilly air Warrior.

Untitled.jpg

Wow, I announced this challenge earlier than any of the others I think, but I am glad I didn't start sooner, as it has been a busy three weeks for old Rick Rawlings, that's for sure! However, as we draw nigh the starting date, it is time to clear up the remaining few points. Perhaps Louvert would be kind enough to edit them in to the original post for me.

Here is the link for the weekly data entry form:

Final, Final Challenge Form

For prizes, Louvert has generously offered up a free custom paintjob to the winner, which has always been a big hit in the past as his skills are considerable. I have decided to award either this very mug:

WOFF 2021.png

or one of it's brethren, for nothing says a WOFF challenge quite like a fresh beverage contained in a vessel emblazoned with a subtle reminder that yes, you are better than everyone else!

Edited by Rick Rawlings

That will be my prized possession. If I can win that is,

hmmmm, looking at the Rick's photo of the prize, I can only think of how nicely beer and pretzels go with wieners, especially the kind with wings

(but to echo Rick's later sentiment, "... if history is any indicator...")

I don't expect to come through this... (I didn't in the WoTR one) but it would be nice to have a skin for my S.E.5a with a T for Trooper on it for sure.  :good:

While Lou's work is fantastic, if you just want to add a T to the top wing, for example, I'm sure you could do that if you just work through the plane skinning thread !

On 5/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, Rick Rawlings said:

The next Saturday after this. (I got way out in front on this one!) So you'd be pretty much on target!

OK then, count me in.  I probably won't last long; but it really looks like fun.

44 minutes ago, mandrews_2 said:

OK then, count me in.  I probably won't last long; but it really looks like fun.

Nice!

Pilot list:

BuckeyeBob

TROOPER117

Rick Rawlings

Stache

MFair

HarryH

Baldric

Catch

Louvert

rjw

lofty_c

carrick58

trustworthykebab

mandrews_2

I did make a clean GIMP version of the 1917 40 Sqn paint job. Let me know if you want it to customize...