Posted (edited)

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone has access to yap and rising sun I greatly appreciate it very much it’s gonna be for wov 

Edited by DEVIL11

YAP & rising sun are payware!

So go to the webside from YAP and purchse YAP & rising sun!

Nobody will share payware here!

Posted (edited)

Just for context, John Shelton and Mike Figursky passed away in 2019. The money would go to no-one and the website and store are no longer maintained since then. Fans of YAP managed to contact Shelton's wife and obtain access to the front-end of the website, where now they're sharing reworked YAP content for Strike Fighters 2 for free, under the name YAP-RW: http://yankeeairpirate.net

I'm not involved in any of this, I always stayed away from YAP content (and that's what I'd suggest doing to anyone), but I deem necessary to point this out. What Soulfreak says still applies IMHO, it's all in a grey area. Nonetheless, YAP-RW exists and it's not related to the YAP owners, it's a group of end-users who had bought the products and are updating them for SF2 for free. Up to CombatACE admins to decide how to deal with YAP content; if what I heard is true, that 3d modelers never received agreed compensation by Shelton, it's not like this matter can be solved anymore. YAP also monetized upon freeware content by modders here at CombatACE without permission, so I also very much doubt the original YAP was exactly legal back in the day.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Soulfreak said:

YAP & rising sun are payware!

So go to the webside from YAP and purchse YAP & rising sun!

Nobody will share payware here!

Not anymore.
Now its free and is NOT related to the original creator´s, like Menrva said above.
I´m helped with some things in YAP_RW and can say that is totally free and completely correct from any possible point of view: ethical, moral, legal...
Is made from fans, to the fans, and I particularly see any creation that helps the SF2 community stay alive, welcome.

... but the store is still there, I think Menvra is right.

Payware or free?

That's the matter.

:dntknw:

13 minutes ago, paulopanz said:

... but the store is still there, I think Menvra is right.

Payware or free?

That's the matter.

:dntknw:

If i'm correct, the REVAMP for SF2 (YAP/DW/FS) are free.

The only ones payware are for SF1.

But i can't find the freewares anymore, i looked for them a month ago and i found them, now it says error 404

47 minutes ago, JamesWilson said:

If i'm correct, the REVAMP for SF2 (YAP/DW/FS) are free.

The only ones payware are for SF1.

But i can't find the freewares anymore, i looked for them a month ago and i found them, now it says error 404

look for the YAP-RW in Facebook.
Until a new site is provided, is there where the things happen.

22 minutes ago, madvad said:

look for the YAP-RW in Facebook.
Until a new site is provided, is there where the things happen.

its a private group atm. but im trying to get an admin of the group to update here

I would be nice to actually HEAR from the revamp mod group. Things that are, or were, payware at still very much a gray area to us Admins (and modder too!). I know it's something that we'll have to discuss at some point in the future.

Would one consider the SF1 version as abandonware?? Do we ignore it because it is/was payware??

I'd VERY much like to hear from one of the leaders of the Revamp Project.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

I would be nice to actually HEAR from the revamp mod group. Things that are, or were, payware at still very much a gray area to us Admins (and modder too!). I know it's something that we'll have to discuss at some point in the future.

Would one consider the SF1 version as abandonware?? Do we ignore it because it is/was payware??

I'd VERY much like to hear from one of the leaders of the Revamp Project.

From my understanding, Revamp is limited to SF2.
The proposal was precisely this: make it free, updated, with objects, etc. AUTHORIZED by the creators, made by fans who obtained permission to use the name YAP from John Shelton's widow.

The site with the original payware, made for SF1, is not part of this scope and I don't know who is responsible for it, but I know it's not YAP-RW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

I would be nice to actually HEAR from the revamp mod group.

are you in the group? and if not do you want an invite? its private but they havent been too piccky

lets say not as open as here but way way less restrictive than DAT :lol:

• Haha 1

Sorry, I really was not planning to post anything, but holy hell...I mean...holy hell.   So much misinformation here, makes my head spin.  For example, there are countless items from SF1/YAP ported to the new SF2 version as part of that scope  - does that mean now it's all ethical, moral and legal...LOL?  There are still plenty of concerns with content in this revamp project (not said lightly and supported by evidence).  The project leader is absolutely trying to do the right thing, but he's inherited a hodge podge of illegal and/or unauthorized assets that's still used for the SF2 version.  And there remains unethical modders that in my opinion stain the entire efforts undertaken.  The leader is caught in the crossfire between progress and doing it ethically; please don't make sweeping claims and facts on this topic as myself and many other veteran modders lived through this time then and now and know the real story – and this portrayal is not it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Swambast makes the point I was trying for, but with better words. No matter how it's sliced, it will still contains "unethicly sourced" items. I remember the raging shitstorm when it was being released for WoV. A large number of you don't.

DA: no, i'm not in the group. To quote somebody famous "would I want to join a club that has me as a member?"   :haha:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, swambast said:

Sorry, I really was not planning to post anything, but holy hell...I mean...holy hell.   So much misinformation here, makes my head spin.  For example, there are countless items from SF1/YAP ported to the new SF2 version as part of that scope  - does that mean now it's all ethical, moral and legal...LOL?  There are still plenty of concerns with content in this revamp project (not said lightly and supported by evidence).  The project leader is absolutely trying to do the right thing, but he's inherited a hodge podge of illegal and/or unauthorized assets that's still used for the SF2 version.  And there remains unethical modders that in my opinion stain the entire efforts undertaken.  The leader is caught in the crossfire between progress and doing it ethically; please don't make sweeping claims and facts on this topic as myself and many other veteran modders lived through this time then and now and know the real story – and this portrayal is not it.  

Well, here we get into a fog... If you know which mods are "unethical" or something and can confirm this, point out which ones they are and I'm sure the team won't want to keep them.

If something like this was "inherited" and is being used, it is due to pure ignorance, and not due to bad intentions, therefore, I cannot call it "unethical", as there is no intention of cheating anyone, and no one there is nothing to profit from it.
I don't know what happened at the time, and if I had been one of those who suffered, I would have been pissed too.
But I think it's wrong to point the finger at someone who wasn't involved in this imbroglio, and just wants to do something nice for the SF2 community, with heart and good will, and also doesn't know what happened and wasn't even involved.

If these "stolen" mods are present in the current installation and this can be proven, it would be nice to point out which ones they are so that the situation can be resolved.

I'm absolutely sure they would do so willingly.

• Like 1

todays update: the RW team has purchased the domain name for the new RW centric site. the page that is on YAPs original page will change to mention their work and link to the new page. two weeks but hopefully summer time fast rather than December and youre 6 slow :lol:  the post is in the group, but it is a private group so i wont share the post itself at this time.

my two cents: look at the medical research that came out of Japan and Germany in the early 1940s. Alot of our modern knowledge of how humans handle exposure to various things comes from that research, and has helped to develop gear that protects pilots/astronauts and many other professions.

But it most defineatley was not ethically researched. for those that havent keyed in yet, im talking Mengele and Unit 731 type research. Extremely bad that it was done, but the winning Allies still gathered up the data at war's end and put it to use.

yea, that is a much more extreme example.  YAP original was just making money while doing the shady things (cutting files not people). YAP-RW has to date pledged to share their work for free. the only money theyve asked for to date is donations to get a site up and running. Not much different than the annual subscription drives here

So, ethically sourced? maybe not.  Is someone making money off of it? not anymore that we know of. DOES this bring a lot of things into the freeware light like two seat Huns? yes it does

and if somebody see work of theirs in there and states they want it removed, the RW team will do so (with a minimum of prof of course). Its already happened at least once that i know of, so there is that if someone finds an issue.

• Like 2