Jump to content

Wrench

ADMINISTRATOR
  • Posts

    28,236
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    184

Everything posted by Wrench

  1. It's just a MAX file, not a usable airplane. Real one's are in the works. Wrench kevin stein
  2. It would be like counting all the atoms in the entire universe....."To Infinity; and Beyond!!!!!" Mabye we should start naming 'readme.txt' to "don't_read_this_if_you_like_ctds.txt" Or, the posibilites are endless.... Wrench kevin stein
  3. allen: it's just that I'm not sure that certain types (Tony, Nick, the Zekes we know, Bettys) were actually used in the CBI by IJAAF/IJN forces. Same for allied: China would have it's own planeset, 99.9% USAAF - P-40, P-38, B-25, B-24, P-51B/D. Depending on years; early (1931-40) lots of Russian, some Italian maybe. Anything they could get their hands on!! Burma/India yet another; Hurri IIC/IV, Spit 5/8, Thunderbolt I (after 1944), Vengence (not that like we have one...), P-38, P-40, P-51A/B/D, B-24, B-25 IJAAF we'd have Oscars (probably all marks), Nates, Sally, Dinah, Nell, Frank, maybe Tojo's???? More research is on-going. I've a nice book on RAF SEAC ... that one said the IJAAF in B/I most feared the Spit V Trops! So it looks like a skin for that is needed. Wrench kevin stein
  4. Gohan, this is quoted from the "readme.txt" enclosed in the package: That sounds comes in The Mirage Facory's MiG-21F-13. Blackbird, I belive it is the same one. It's just been repainted. -- so it'll screw up any other 17PF/PFUs that use that lod. Hence, the need for WoI being theatre specific -ie: Mid East only. Obviously, it'd be an easy matter to do little hex editing and create a "new" lod, and rename the ini and bmp to match. As to using the weapons editor to revalidate, have you made the suggested changes in it's type??? Don't forget, about 3 years ago, it was switched to a 0 strength jammer. All is in the readme Wrench kevin stein
  5. Interestering....with my small grasp of Spanish (mostly dirty words!!!) It looks like Torno "installed" a Zuni on the position. Well, now that the positions are dialed in, it'd be a simple mattter to hex-edit a zuni lod into a 'ESM antenna'. Hell,you could even create a harpoint for it (if you wanted to go the old fashoned way) and make it a jammer pod or smoke streamer or donut dispenser! Nicely done!!!! Should share that with the rest, don't be hiding it from everyone!!! Wrench kevin stein
  6. Panel lines are WAAAAAAYYYY to dark -- reduce the opacity in the panel lines layer to at least 25% ie: fade them down a LOT!! If you doing the squadron insignia as a DECAL, you can use level 2. But then, if you're using a 'full wing" say, 36 aircraft you'll need to make three decals, and name them to match the 'number' you want them to start on. ie: Aircraft 1-12 (for decal purposes, 000-011) would have, say a blue square. You'd need to make 12 decals for just that Aircraft 13-24, (ie: 012-025) would have say, a Green Diamond. You'd need another 12 decals for them. Aircraft 25-36 (ie: 026-035) .... I think you get the picture You can do the same for the wingtip/tail tip decals...but you'd need a lot them!!! *** In the above, we're treating them like serial numbers or nose arts The other way, is of course, 3 different skin sets, each with the one squadron insigina (Leval 1) To answer your question, you MAY have to spilt into 3 skin subfolder in the AN Spad. I don't think they have anything to do with the squadorn list; at least, I've never treated them that way. Individual skin folders with individual decal sets. It may be more work, but you'll be able to control what shows up on who (whom?) as you want it. If there's another way to do it...I'm all ears!!! Wrench kevin stein *** EDIT: I just noted a goof there ... the wingtip/tailtip decals can be set to level 0 or 1, depending on usage. For individual squarons, set to 1
  7. Basically, parachute flares. Like Crusader said, "for putting a little light on the subject" Wrench kevin stein
  8. View File Burma (WW2) Targets Upgrade Pak Burma Terrain Upgrade: For WW2 CBI/PTO mods This mod is a relatively simple upgrade to Edward's WW2 Burma terrain. What I've done is added LOTS of new targets to the existing target areas, and replaced at least one airfield with a newly repainted "desert airfiled 1", which is now a medium dirt runway. The 'new' target areas are enhancements of already existing ones -- I've just added some more things here and there to make it look a little more populated. There are a couple of new parked planes, based of existing ones, hex-edited and reskinned for their proper users. This is a fairly 'target rich' environment -- there are plenty of items for strike and anti-shipping missions. It is also fairly well defended - so watch out for the flak. It has been tested in SF, WoV and WoE, using their cats pointed to in the main ini. As the new objects will be residing directly in the terrain folder, you should have no problems. (see the CombatAce Knowledge Base for the tutorial on using the cat pointer line) It is suggested, just as an "oh, by the way....", that you install this upgrade into a CBI ONLY version of your PTO game install. Historically, there are many aircraft that are (and should be) "Theatre Specific". Meaning, you shouldn't be seening Zekes over Burma/Occupied Indo-China or China itself after December, 1941. While outside the scope of this mod, there IS a specific plane-set for use in the CBI. You can, of course!, install it into a "Full PTO" style game install; you'll just have everybody and their brother flying around. You MUST have ALL the Pacific Objects (ground units, ships, AAA, infantry, etc) already installed in you CBI/PTO version of the game; otherwise things won't be appearing. This is especially important for the ships -- make sure you have the barges (get both, they're needed in the GO folder), the Liberty ship, and all warships, both Allied and Japanese. Don't forget to check Geo's page for more WW2 goodies ... there's a lot of stuff that's usable (and used!) here as well. Hinchbrooke has some very nice Royal Navy battleships. <wink> It is also reccomended that you have installed CA_Stary's WW2 hangars and buildings. They have a nice worn green wood-ish texture, and look really good in the CBI theatre! Also (more below), the data ini I've supplied is based on using CA_Stary's "Green Hell" tiling mod for WoV's VietnamSEA. -- this mod is highly reccomended. I have, however, included the original data ini; also with it's terrain and water effects activated (Vista user take note!!) As stated above, the BOTH data inis has been upgraded to the latest standards. Water effects are active, so Vista users beware...more information for you is below in the Install Instructions. See "Notes for Vista Users". = MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST, WW2 NATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER = == MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WW2 FORMATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER == === MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WEAPONS PAK FOR THE WW2 WEAPONS!! === ==== MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WW2 PLANES NEEDED, TOO. OTHERWISE IT'S KINDA BORING ==== Follow these instructions herein =EXACTLY= and you should have no problems. As expected, there are highly detailed, step-by-step install procedures. I'd suggest reading the enclosed "readme" through FIRST before putting all the bits into the terrain folder -that should be standard CYA for any mods to be installed. And the usual Notes and Explinations, Credits and Other Nonsense. Good Luck, Good Hunting, and Happy Landings!! Wrench Kevin Stein Submitter Wrench Submitted 07/27/2008 Category Terrains  
  9. 462 downloads

    Burma Terrain Upgrade: For WW2 CBI/PTO mods This mod is a relatively simple upgrade to Edward's WW2 Burma terrain. What I've done is added LOTS of new targets to the existing target areas, and replaced at least one airfield with a newly repainted "desert airfiled 1", which is now a medium dirt runway. The 'new' target areas are enhancements of already existing ones -- I've just added some more things here and there to make it look a little more populated. There are a couple of new parked planes, based of existing ones, hex-edited and reskinned for their proper users. This is a fairly 'target rich' environment -- there are plenty of items for strike and anti-shipping missions. It is also fairly well defended - so watch out for the flak. It has been tested in SF, WoV and WoE, using their cats pointed to in the main ini. As the new objects will be residing directly in the terrain folder, you should have no problems. (see the CombatAce Knowledge Base for the tutorial on using the cat pointer line) It is suggested, just as an "oh, by the way....", that you install this upgrade into a CBI ONLY version of your PTO game install. Historically, there are many aircraft that are (and should be) "Theatre Specific". Meaning, you shouldn't be seening Zekes over Burma/Occupied Indo-China or China itself after December, 1941. While outside the scope of this mod, there IS a specific plane-set for use in the CBI. You can, of course!, install it into a "Full PTO" style game install; you'll just have everybody and their brother flying around. You MUST have ALL the Pacific Objects (ground units, ships, AAA, infantry, etc) already installed in you CBI/PTO version of the game; otherwise things won't be appearing. This is especially important for the ships -- make sure you have the barges (get both, they're needed in the GO folder), the Liberty ship, and all warships, both Allied and Japanese. Don't forget to check Geo's page for more WW2 goodies ... there's a lot of stuff that's usable (and used!) here as well. Hinchbrooke has some very nice Royal Navy battleships. <wink> It is also reccomended that you have installed CA_Stary's WW2 hangars and buildings. They have a nice worn green wood-ish texture, and look really good in the CBI theatre! Also (more below), the data ini I've supplied is based on using CA_Stary's "Green Hell" tiling mod for WoV's VietnamSEA. -- this mod is highly reccomended. I have, however, included the original data ini; also with it's terrain and water effects activated (Vista user take note!!) As stated above, the BOTH data inis has been upgraded to the latest standards. Water effects are active, so Vista users beware...more information for you is below in the Install Instructions. See "Notes for Vista Users". = MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST, WW2 NATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER = == MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WW2 FORMATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER == === MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WEAPONS PAK FOR THE WW2 WEAPONS!! === ==== MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WW2 PLANES NEEDED, TOO. OTHERWISE IT'S KINDA BORING ==== Follow these instructions herein =EXACTLY= and you should have no problems. As expected, there are highly detailed, step-by-step install procedures. I'd suggest reading the enclosed "readme" through FIRST before putting all the bits into the terrain folder -that should be standard CYA for any mods to be installed. And the usual Notes and Explinations, Credits and Other Nonsense. Good Luck, Good Hunting, and Happy Landings!! Wrench Kevin Stein
  10. Whiteknight: I take it you haven't seen the New Guinea or Okinawa upgrades??? Your requested MGs gunners are already there. Wrench kevin stein
  11. Might help to know what game it's happening in ... WoI has had much weirdness with helo rotors. You need to reset the rotor diameter in the helo's data ini to 8.0 meters or less. Wrench kevin stein
  12. DUUUUHH...NOW I see what you mean... It must be the First Eagles coding incorporated into WoI that allows this That's cool!! Wrench kevin stein
  13. Pic's not showing, just a redX That could be why...I'm building/testing in WoE. I'll shift if over to my BunyapPak WoI install, and see what gives. Wonder if the patch will fix that for WoE/SF/WoV??? as to the lights: You'll note the commented out lower wing lights. Not sure if they're really needed or what Wrench kevin stein
  14. Found a better cockpit... Periscope retracted: Periscope extended: Weapons fit, with "modified" GAR-5 Nuke Falcon (the ones that never got built - I cheated a little on years/mounts) Now, if I could just figure out how to cover those windows... Wrench kevin stein
  15. Jug, I think it has something to do with 'The Thermal Barrier" (an old sci-fi movie term -bonus points to ID movie it comes from) near Mach 3. I guess they couldn't get glass to witstand the heating/cooling cycles. Or maybe airflow was better over the smooth nose?? Didn't seem to stop the X-15 from having windows to see forward...and hitting Mach, what, 6? They (Republic) DID test the periscope concept on the F-84 that flew cross-country, with all the other windows blacked out, said the pilot had no problems (talk about being under the hood -IFR all the way??) The cockpit view is pretty open, from the inside. Can't get it blocked off, no matter what I try. Need FC to create a bulkhead. This is, of coures, after I get the damn periscipe lined up with the pilot's view. What really had me bugged last night -after 4 hours of fiddling with the wing lights, as the seemed to keep moving up and down...FC HAS created the variable incidence wing. Pre-take off, the lights are sitting on top where they belong. As the gear comes up, and the wing moves to the level flight position, the lights (as they don't move) drop to the UNDERSIDE of the wing. I was going 'round in circles with that one! Methinks that'll just get left alone!!! "It's not a bug, it'a a FEATURE!" Must be a way around it, like the Crusaders...in the process of more investigation. Wrench kevin stein
  16. THATs the fuel bowser I've been needing!!! And that net covering the revietment -- dude, that seriously cool! Geezer, there's a lot of PTO items that Polak has imported and coverted from CFS2, originally done by AF Midway Group. I've been using QUITE a lot of them. I haven't looked, but he had a link over at SimHQ in the 3rdWire forums here's a list of what he's got: 1 af1aaagun_single 2 af2aaagun_triple 3 af4barackA 4 af5barackB 5 af6barackC 6 af8grdtwrA 7 af9grdtwrB 8 af19crates 9 af20depot_bldg 10 af21frtcaventr 11 af22foxholeA 12 af23foxholeB 13 af24foxholeC 14 af25hngrA_lg 15 af25hngrA_lg 16 af26hngrB_lg 17 af27hngrC_lg 18 af28hngrA_sm 19 af29hngrB_sm 20 af30hngrC_sm 21 af31bldgA_lg 22 af32bldgB_lg 23 af33bldgC_lg 24 af34pillbox_lg 25 af35smoke_stack_lg 26 af36brdgstn_lg 27 af37brdgAstn_lg 28 af38brdgBstn_lg 29 af40bldgB_md 30 af41bldgC_md 31 af42hut_md 32 af43oilbarrels 33 af45radioant 34 af46radioantbldg 35 af47revetment 36 af48bldgA_sm 37 af49bldgB_sm 38 af50bldgC_sm 39 af51crane_sm 40 af52factbldgA_sm 41 af53factbldgB_sm 42 af54factbldgC_sm 43 af56brdg_wd_sm 44 af57brdg_wdA_sm 45 af58brdg_wdB_sm 46 af59bldgA_stn 47 af60bldgB_stn 48 af61bldgC_stn 49 af62tent_lg 50 af63tentround 51 af64traincars 52 af65watrtwrA 53 af66watrtwrB 54 af67watrwell 55 af68wharf 56 af55oilrig_sm Here's the pic that came with the pack: Now, I've found that some of them don't work; as in they don't show up or have other issue - the small bridges (tried in Burma -never appeared at Sittang River), one of the large pillboxs/trench(the green one) - you crash into it at 10000 feet!! The 2 tents show up in the Libya map, repainted and hex edited for the desert, thereby creating 2 NEW tents. The 'depot buildings' show up all over Burma, at the myriad of train stations. They look VERY cool!! These are what I used on the New Gueina and Burma; more will show up in China. At some point, I should go back and add some of these items to the Solomons map, too. Eventually... Perhaps I should send him an email, see if they could be uploaded. Otherwise, the ones used will just appear in various terrains. Wrench kevin stein EDIT: found the thread. http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?...428&fpart=1
  17. OMG!! I'm just upset I didn't think of it first.... but now you've given me ideas.. Wrench kevin stein
  18. (cue music).... we're on the road to mandalay.... That's the new 'stang skin I was speaking of. Need a couple more nose arts, then write readme, and it's done. Wrench kevin stein
  19. CH all the way, baby. Ive had two F16/Combatstic/Fightersticks (562?) -- whatever the ehll it's called; I'd still be using my original HOTAS setup, but the damn things are serial, and my XPS is all usb Perfectly good throttle and stick set up, sitting in the closet nicely stored in their boxes. I once looked at Saitek, but my hand is too big for the stick (NOBODY say NOTHING about that!! ), especially with that 'trigger guard' handle thingy in front. Cutting it off would just not be cool... Wrench kevin stein
  20. GO FOR IT, DUDE!!!! It'll make it that much closer to Real Life ™ ps: any progress report on the AD-3W?? Wrench kevin stein
  21. Yah! Nice Sally skin!!! Is that around anywhere?? The terrain looks a LOT better, too!! So Edward, please don't tell me you went 100% on the Burma map.... I just finished upgrading the targets on the old one, and was going to upload it in a day or 2, after final testing. Everyone knows how time consuming, and nerve wracking it is to tie together all them bridge pieces...and there's a boatload of bridges across the cursed rivers!! Well, I'm sure I can, as 7 of 9 would say "adapt". So, seriously, "2 weeks" after SCW??? Wrench kevin stein
  22. That's my understanding, too...they have to be fixed by hand. Wish I know how to do -- SoCal could really use it!! PI IS on the list to get "targets enhancements" (after all, my Dad was there 44-46 - and I have the photos to prove it!! ), but it's waaaaaaaaaay down the line. Have to see if there's enough 'empty' space for some of the larger fields (runway1), other than Clark, which already has 2. Brother, don't I know that one! I still haven't gotten to ErikGen's new Nike batteries; Modern Korea reuild in 65%, Burma 99.9%, China not even started. Not t mention FastCargo's XF-103, and boatload of skins -included a new CBI only P-51A, (having a hell of a time with markings, numbers for the tail), Hurri 2C/IV Trop -with Vokes-. Plus all the other usual goofiness... Wrench kevin stein
  23. "Terrain objects, scenery" Those truck are perfect Geezer (yes I got the email, just forgot to respond!) Those are actual building in the back, yes? Given a skin they could replace some of the tents are Runway3, or other buildings around the other fields. Lowpoly or not, given a re-used data ini from the any of the Zils or M35, they'd be showing up in Armed Recon. As long as set to "TRANSPORT" WRench kevin stein
  24. The right tiperon has a HUGE decal bleed, which is why I moved the star/usaf off of them. Also some bleed under the front nose, forward of the gear bay. Yah, if you could get the doors to stay open on the ground, I can tweek out the interior of bays a little more. Also, is there anyway to add a forward bulkhead, that would seal off the cockpit from the inside view?? Maybe break the mesh down into 'main body' and 'nose' - that might help with decaling. Or is this a cockpit lod thingy?? Damn Thuds with all their window!! I've almost got the proposco-scope/cockpit view dial in - which means that everytime I change it, it moves the wrong way!! Or too much the right way!! Want to get the gunsight centered on the porthole (for landlubbers--its that round llittle window!!) Still can't figure out where the interior of the intake scoop is mapped to, and the "engine inlet" bulkhead. The damn nosewheel tire it too small -- I'll expand the 'black' area. FM wise!!! Oi!!! don't want want to go there... I was, however, thinking of adding a 2nd engine, to simulate the ramjet; would only operate at 85-100% throttle, but I'd need to cut the SFC to 0, so it don't run the bird dry. Russo' Lightning's Avon burner might be a good sound. As to the faceting, ask Julheim or Dels or the TMF guys or any 3d dude -- I'm just a crappy skinner! Rockets...hmm...there's some good ones in my F-89D upgrade...at least they fire. But I did use Lexx's cheat to mount them, so the AI pilots will fire them. Wrench kevin stein
  25. FastCargo passed this on to me, to see what I can do with it. I'm sure some folks wondered what happened to it...Well, I'm doing my best. Here's some progress shots showing skinning and decals and some details: Yes, for the purists, the Buzz number prefix IS correct - it was assigned to the F-103. Serials, however ... well, they're fantasy. It's almost to the point where (hopefully!!!!) some FM guru can take a look at it. The existing FM is,well, in FC's own words -a mix-match of things. There's still a major cockpit issue--don't know if that can be fixed, but I"m gonna ask FC if in can't fiddle the animations so the main gear door stay open, so you all can see the neat detailing in there. Enjoy! Wrench kevin stein
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..