malibu43 Posted Monday at 05:54 PM Posted Monday at 05:54 PM I have not been simming for several years. Thinking about getting an actual gaming PC (as opposed to the 10+ year old laptop in my signature). I'd like to be able to run SF2 maxed out, DCS on fairly high settings. I don't really do multiplayer. I'm really trying to do this on a budget. I'm seeing a lot of deals for systems that use the RX 580 (8GB). I know this is an older card, but it will still blow away what I'm using currently. I'm also see some with a GTX 1660 Super (6GB). Would either of these hold up for what I'm trying to do?
Flanker562 Posted Monday at 06:23 PM Posted Monday at 06:23 PM I use an ASUS Gaming Laptop (ROG Strix), so it's able to play DCS fairly well, and as well as other games so far. I think if you set it right DCS can give you decent visual quality without sacrificing framerate and so on. The settings I use work well though, so I don't try and push it due to well, it's a resource hungry game. As for SF2 little worry too, and games like MWO run fine as well. So I would recommend a fairly med-high laptop if that's your fancy. I'm just familiar with ASUS and like their stuff, so I'm also kinda biased too.
malibu43 Posted Monday at 07:41 PM Author Posted Monday at 07:41 PM I'm actually very interested in not getting another laptop. I only went that route so many years ago due to space constraints. I have plenty of room for a desktop PC now, and I feel like bang for my buck will be so much better.
Flanker562 Posted Monday at 08:43 PM Posted Monday at 08:43 PM I could make room for a PC honestly, but I like laptops better from my military service (always relatively mobile, etc, can take it on deployments). And while I'm not in the military anymore, I find laptops good for the limited travel I do take part in, and so I have a piece of home with me and such. And I just like them better than PCs. I mean the downside is limited upgrades and stuff like that, but overall I just prefer them over desktops, even with the advantages that desktops have over laptops.
Erik Posted Monday at 08:53 PM Posted Monday at 08:53 PM Costco has some good options, this might be a good starting point. They also have more powerful desktops if you need better specs. https://www.costco.com/.product.4201002297.html I bought an Alienware M18 r2 last year, always liked desktops but this thing changed my mind. I run a curved 59 inch Samsung monitor as my second screen and I can play Assassin's Creed full graphics no lag and my gear runs on low fan speed. MSFS runs great too, where I spent my money was on 64GB RAM, 16GB GDDR6X, and a second 2TB SSD with heat sink.
malibu43 Posted Monday at 11:06 PM Author Posted Monday at 11:06 PM I was looking at something like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/STGAubron-Gaming-Computer-Desktop-Windows/dp/B0G59GCQT8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3JOCHHAN8B60L&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.KsSV43uTYtjojDX-GeGdSgl2qYtAoLMlzZcbrdsamw5b-Jt4AA4CTSWQSnuPSwhObEW4ebaVuSMhKe6xrmi4HSmd0W8xQjpNVIiB_Y8qMDzpmRA1ERhQpMxOfbEPa10dwwTwQPz32HuyiCsaSWBervUS8HLmPH0_8i4jlQE8dpt73URGUTIhZegLuGmlohXDPPX4rPfcQvdesCgqKIPMSLNSTgywSpd49bR2tL3IL8s.Oh9KQMH2j-PLHPbvSCDvQsnsTA7FNtfyYTbUd4Xvh5w&dib_tag=se&keywords=gaming%2Bpc&qid=1791241450&sprefix=%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/STGAubron-Computer-Desktop-GeForce-Keyboard/dp/B0DYJN7V83/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=3JOCHHAN8B60L&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.xkRt-Q2LCKdo80yVq-LPSJi4bU-F3ZQxsWzS26GDNnQz54-iBXGcghtHNot2Op5c1on9YnkSI9lltKqIf38pAbcc7jVGp-7kIdhELft934wp5YeXpQ2nEDl7jpBv3DEoTt_IbE4cM-rpMptGcjKhQ5KzC8c86NXzaFjv1VPNkV36bnrV64C6qTCsQmI_XhqAbz58_NTSP0tXFUatjJ3k-kDXKuJ0kcLtGxvfhKqhaCk.BOu8blShghMBLuc-kMJ021h0rCejZ-jixz7w6ddKCEA&dib_tag=se&keywords=gaming%2Bpc&qid=1791241565&sprefix=%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-17-spons&xpid=F_XMUTsFp68Xm&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGZfbmV4dA&th=1
Flanker562 Posted Monday at 11:20 PM Posted Monday at 11:20 PM I mean if you're not looking to load a lot of games (but DCS though...) yeah I'd get the 1TB then get more disk space though as I have one drive (two 2TB drives on my laptop) for a few games, including DCS (which takes up most of the space at nearly 1TB), but yeah I mean for starting out sure.
daddyairplanes Posted Tuesday at 02:26 PM Posted Tuesday at 02:26 PM my couple of pennies I have been rocking Xidax systems since before they plastered the annoying ads all over socials (2015). they can be pricey, but are well worth it im rocking a X6 with an i9-14900 processor, 5080 card (didnt want to wait 3 months for a 5090) and 128 GB of RAM. 4TB storage across 2 ssd and one hard drive. RAn about 4100, but i did get it right after a hefty VA backpay check last year so.... opposite end of price spectrum i just got my wife an X2, AMD Ryzen 5 processor, Nvidia 3050 card, 16 GB RAM and 2 TB storage. was 1400 but got knocked down too a grand trading in the hand me down X6 from 2019. they do take payments thru Affirm also. i got a laptop to do school work on when i figured out my system was a little too overpowered and would crash unreal or even the whole system when i ran projects on the school comp's
MigBuster Posted Tuesday at 04:07 PM Posted Tuesday at 04:07 PM DCS on fairly high settings? I have a dedicated 1TB disk for that - however you can uninstall modules. Have not bought anything for a number of years but people with most modules probably go over. Over 32 needed for multiplayer - but single player don't know as run 64GB Also I run everything at 1440 / 60hz so need massively less resources than 4K or say using a Scuba Mask Again would a GTX1660 be okay with a monitor - no idea - seems a bit low.
Major Lee Posted Wednesday at 02:49 AM Posted Wednesday at 02:49 AM @malibu43 Amazon Prime days are going on right now, might be able to save a few percent on the price...
malibu43 Posted Wednesday at 01:34 PM Author Posted Wednesday at 01:34 PM (edited) 10 hours ago, Major Lee said: @malibu43 Amazon Prime days are going on right now, might be able to save a few percent on the price... Snagged this yesterday. Due to arrive today. Boy… that escalated quickly. https://a.co/d/0dhAcTGe Edited Wednesday at 01:34 PM by malibu43 2
Major Lee Posted Wednesday at 09:05 PM Posted Wednesday at 09:05 PM @malibu43 That's a decent sale for a modern PC, glad you got it!
malibu43 Posted 20 hours ago Author Posted 20 hours ago Yep, it arrived yesterday too! Had it set up and running in like 10 minutes. Another 5 minutes to get track IR working. The surprise was spending quite a bit of time trying to get SF2 working. I copied over my Saved Games folder and the .exe installation folder (like I've done a million times in the past) and it was giving me CTDs. Had to repeat it a couple of time before I got it to work. Then was struggling with textures not loading on some add-on aircraft and runways. I eventually found some things to try here on CA and think I have that fixed now by keeping object and cockpit textures on unlimited, but reducing ground objects to High. That part is weird, as I never had issues with textures not loading in 10 years of using the 970M 3GB card on my laptop. Get a dedicated 8GB card and now textures don't load...? Hopefully that's sorted out now. I'm sure I'll run into some more things as I dive back into the can of worms that is SF2. But I'll deal with those in other subforums... 2
Wrench Posted 17 hours ago Posted 17 hours ago not bad!!! I think you made a good choice!! Setting things up is always such a PIA!!!! Enjoy your new toy!!! 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now