Hi guys, I'm working on this one, someone asked for this "spacecraft" ?????

NO, NO SPACESCAFT

XB-70 The real BAD, B..BAD THING

What about you??

Absolutely fabulous project and it looks like you really have the look and feel of the XB-70. It seems to me that the downward droop of the wingtips would be linked to the landing gear position. Gear-down; Wingtips up. That sort of thing. Many other aircraft like the A-7 have a similar connection. Gear-down; airbrake (between the main landing gear)- limited travel. You know, the kinda thing pilots need to keep them out of embarrassing situations.

Really looking forward to this. Attaboy!

The wing-droop will be controlled per the real aircraft: automatically scheduled based on Mach number.

I have yet to determine if they will provide any aerodynamic function.

If it is possible, they may be used to increase yaw stability as in the real aircraft.

The wing-droop will be controlled per the real aircraft: automatically scheduled based on Mach number.

I have yet to determine if they will provide any aerodynamic function.

If it is possible, they may be used to increase yaw stability as in the real aircraft.

I used to be stationed at Edwards AFB. The wing droop stabilized the aircraft at the mach 3 speeds that it regularly flew at. The B-70 was known as a wave rider, if memory serves. This meant that the aircraft would actually ride the hypersonic shockewave that it produced while traveling at such speeds. The National Aerospace Plane (NASP) was a wave rider as well, but it used a different aerodynamic shape to get the desired results.

The B-70 was the answer to many problems that were brought on by advancements it the Soviet SAM system. The powers that were in charge at the time stated that she was obsolete before she even flew. However, the a new trend is to develop a stealthy mach 3+ aircracft similiar to the B-70. It seems like North American Rockwell had it right.

Skelator

This project is going very well. Nice work :good:!

Would the plane riding the wave actually speed it up? Sounds very amazing!

Alright, enough! Time to find out something.

I had "read" that the B-70 cruised at its design speed without afterburner. :crazy: The afterburners were otherwise used for two (2) reasons...

(1) The extra thrust was needed to punch through the *higher* drag at the *lower* speeds below the wave-riding Mach 3 speed, as the aerodynamics were optimized for that Mach 3 low drag wave riding cruise speed.

(2) In case one or two engines failed, afterburning could be used to maintain the top cruise speed. If the bomber somehow got below the wave-riding optimized top speed, and with loss of some engines, then it could not achieve that Mach 3 speed again as it did not have the power to satisfy reason (1) poasted above.

What makes me think this could be true is that the B-70 was supposed to directly replace the B-52 for long range SAC operations. That to me says non-afterburning Mach 3 cruise.

All this was possible only because of the wave rider concept optimized for Mach 3 at high altitude, thus true supercruise long before the F-22 superHudMFDjetfighter of Teh Combat Flight Sims.

It still sounds crazy but just crazy enough to be possibly true. Am I making this up? Yes? No?

From what I have read, the XB-70A was capable of supersonic cruise in the Mach 2+ region, but the afterburners were necessary to make a Mach 3+ dash.

I have very little data on what the final production version was capable of doing.

The books I have indicate that the wave compression lift was not as critical to the success of the design as one would think.

It provided a useful increase in the lift-to-drag ratio, but not on some overwhelming scale.

I have been playing with DATCOM as time permits using the F-4B.

It seems that it is not as accurate as I had hoped, but it is still very useful for getting an idea about the relationship between the fuselage, inner wings, outer wings, horizontal tail, and vertical tail.

Given that I have other data to help calibrate the total lift and total drag curves, DATCOM will be used to divide those values among the fuselage, canard, inner wings, outer wings, and vertical tails.

I have yet to have enough time to experiment with modeling flaps, elevons, rudder, etc. but the software will easily handle it as well as the drooping wingtips.

If I had a week or two of time, I think I could put out one awesome flight model. But I haven't even had time to perfect my methods using the F-4B example.

As long as my baby has acid reflux and has to be held upright for an hour after every feeding, I don't see when I am going to get more than a few minutes per week to mess with this.

Edited by streakeagle

It's possible if the wingtips didn't droop the range and top speed would've been adversely affected, but it still would've been capable of Mach 2+ flight for a good distance.

It's possible if the wingtips didn't droop the range and top speed would've been adversely affected, but it still would've been capable of Mach 2+ flight for a good distance.

Hi to all of you guys, I'm happy that this topic is still so hot after starting so long ago...

I finally restart to work, to the mod, many thanks to Erikgen....The "Gina" Master for starting to help me to get out of some modding problem and many thanks to Strike Eagle for RD work on FM to make fly this terrific bird.....

Shall it fly one day?

Her are some pic......

Adding The chute door + chute bay, not yet the three drag chute, the two bomb Bays Front and Rear, and re-modded the folding wings pivoting fuse......

That'all stay on tune Bye

Excuse me for my "Spaghetti" english but you'll understand what I mean.......I hope

That is the smallest airbrake I've ever seen. :wink:

That is the smallest airbrake I've ever seen. :wink:

LOL....

Didn't she pop out parachutes when landing??

LOL....

Didn't she pop out parachutes when landing??

This are the complete wip.

that isn't an airbrake but an opening chute-bay door here are some three chute group pics.

I hope that we will able to make them run correctly.......

Maurizio

For a aircraft the goes more than mach 2, I thing it needs a bigger air brake!!!! LOL

I'll be damned if i remember where i read it (Column5.us Forums; ini modding).

They linked a chute animation to a wheelbrake system and the deploy animation was linked somehow to wheelsonground condition.

That's all from memory, my excuses.

S!

I'll be damned if i remember where i read it (Column5.us Forums; ini modding).

They linked a chute animation to a wheelbrake system and the deploy animation was linked somehow to wheelsonground condition.

That's all from memory, my excuses.

S!

Actually, I posted an idea that used the airbrake settings. It is included in the MiG-27D aircraft and looks like this...

[brakingchute]

SystemType=AIRBRAKE

DeployTime=1.1

RetractTime=0.05

AnimationID=9

DragArea=50.00

MaxDeploySpeed=150.00

BlowbackSpeed=160.00

DeployWhenOnGears=TRUE

When the airbrake is used on landing it will deploy when your wheels are on the ground and below a certain speed and it does slow the aircraft down.

This project is going very well. Nice work :good:!

Would the plane riding the wave actually speed it up? Sounds very amazing!

Actually the YJ-93s were designed for continuous operation at the speeds that the aircraft traveled at. True the aircraft was a hypersonic wave-rider. The range was a factor of getting up on the hypersonic 'Step' and then cruising at Mach 3+. Hypersonic drag is still a factor even at the speeds that the B-70 traveled at, henceforth the continuous operation.

Skelator

TOP SECRET

Some observer related that a new kind of big airplane is testing in the California Skies, highest and fastest than every other they ever seen.......

TOP SECRET

Some observer related that a new kind of big airplane is testing in the California Skies, highest and fastest than every other they ever seen.......

P.S. This is the image errata corrige....

A close analysis of a recently obtained photograph indicate the Ussians are producing a new strategic bomber with potentially very high speed capability.

You have deceived our country and our PVO. Our PVO needs MiG-25s as much as it does bread and water. We need MiGs, not Ilyushins. This is your last warning!

Angry telegram sent by Khrushchev, modded from ~ http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/kuybyshev.html

0-1.jpg

Thanks for the sneak pic NGHENGO!

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Neat! What is the status of details like the flight model, weapons bay, landing chutes, and other things? A beta release to play with until it is completely sorted out would be awesome!

Ditto what the AAF dude said.

Maybe a beta like the Talon? That went over quite well...

LOL LOL

"this is madness!!"

I have finally made some useful progress. I have created an Excel file that charts drag from Mach .2 to Mach 3 both Cd0 and Total CD at 1g.

If I have detailed acceleration data over the same speed/altitude, I will be able to calculate accurate thrust data as well.

This could turn out to be a very accurate flight model in terms of thrust, lift, and drag.

NASA data may even make it possible for me to come up with accurate stability co-efficients.

Any progress on this project? I have the urge to fly at FL90 and M3.0 over north vietnam :blush:

I have all the data and tools I need to make a pretty good flight model (NASA is very generous with its test reports via the web). However, I need to spend quite a few days extracting the data into Excel forms so that I can build the fm data ini file. I just don't have the time. These days, when I get free time, I spend it relaxing rather than working hard on mods. I am supposed to go out of town to work very soon. Hopefully, while I am out of town, my evenings from Monday to Thursday will be free since I won't be home to take care of the baby and my wife will be too busy taking care of the baby to talk very long on the phone. I see this as my opportunity to focus on the XB-70. I too would like to see this project finished so I can enjoy flying in one of my favorite aircraft of all time. I have flown this in X-Plane and MS Flight Sim, but I wasn't very happy with the way they flew and of course there was no ability to drop nuclear weapons.